• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Promare Director Hiroyuki Imaishi Discusses Galo's Resemblance to Gurren Lagann's Kamina

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The earliest idea was to do a "musical with zombies" interpretation of the classic Victor Hugo novel Les Misérables

I do love it when the origin point of a project is described as something completely bizarre you can't help but wish they'd also do anyway.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Well Ryuko and Satsuki look like Simon and Rossiu respectively.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"That's why Galo is different from Kamina," Nakashima concluded. "He's got job hair."

Imaishi responded that this was the first time he had ever heard the phrase "job hair," to which Nakashima responded, "I was lying. I only thought that up just now."

I love these guys so much.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:01 am Reply with quote
'Incidental' would have worked as well... After reading Morrissey's review, I'm really excited to see Promare. I'm glad for the brand Trigger has created, and although there have been some ups and downs, the feeling you get watching their shows as everything comes together is both exhilarating and joyous.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:03 am Reply with quote
This is a very common practice among anime and manga. That is, a character design in Series A is recycled a bit for a character in Series B. This goes back to even the works of 1960s Tezuka works. A reason why this might be is that it might be easier to recycle a previous character work vs. coming up with a new character design. Similarly, an artist or animator will use a recycled character designs so often that making a new character design could be harder to adjust to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1