• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Stats: The Most Globally Streamed Anime for May 2019

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Meh. It’d be a lot more interesting and compelling reading if they actually had them ranked by number of views and not alphabetical order. But anime licensors are so secretive about this stuff for some reason.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Jojo's Bizarre Adventure on all of these lists - Part 5, no less, we made it all the way to Part 5 - is so weird for me, as a fan for such a long time. I still didn't really believe it was anywhere close to "anime fan mainstream" until I started seeing clips on YouTube with millions of views, the kind of thing reserved for stuff like Dragon Ball Z or whatever.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
A real shame Fruits Basket doesn't seem to be anywhere on these lists. I think it's a fantastic reboot. It sure seems popular on the CR list on the days it comes out.
Brett-Butler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Hang on, how can One Piece be on the list of most popular shows in the UK? The show isn't available to watch on Crunchyroll in the UK.
consignia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
How is One Piece on the UK top ten? It's not available in the region.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I'll give CR a ring about the UK list, thanks for pointing that out!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
As popular as Hunter x Hunter is, I'm still surprised it beat currently airing Shonen shows like My Hero and One Piece. Not that I'm complaining. Glad to see people are watching Mob.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
As popular as Hunter x Hunter is, I'm still surprised it beat currently airing Shonen shows like My Hero and One Piece. Not that I'm complaining. Glad to see people are watching Mob.

It's in alphabetical order. We have no idea what is on the top of these lists (other than speculation).
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
No big surprises on these lists, but it is always fun for me to look at them. This season I am watching Ace of Diamond Act II, Attack on Titan 3, part 2, Bungo Stray Dogs 3, Cinderella Nine, Demon Slayer, Dororo, Fairy Gone, Fairy Tail, Fruits Basket, Hitori Bocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu, Kono Oto Tomare!, Miru Tights, MIX, The Rising of The Shield Hero, Sarazanmai, Senryu Girl and Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!?

I am streaming 11 of those on Crunchyroll.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
It is good to see that the Re:Zero anime is still doing great though I think the Bleach anime deserves an award for making the top 20 list more than 7 years after it ended. The Bleach manga spoiler[was popular since it was a good fantasy adventure story but the popularity meant that the manga continued years longer than it should have.]
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
No surprises here from these lists. Shonen stays winning.

Marzan wrote:
Meh. It’d be a lot more interesting and compelling reading if they actually had them ranked by number of views and not alphabetical order. But anime licensors are so secretive about this stuff for some reason.

I believe that's because depending on viewership, that's more money for the top rated shows, so they don't want to reveal who gets how much slice of the pie, and also likely because other studios can't see who negotiated what royalty rates.

consignia wrote:
How is One Piece on the UK top ten? It's not available in the region.

Are other regions mixed up or catalogued in the UK region chart that are being counted?
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
A real shame Fruits Basket doesn't seem to be anywhere on these lists. I think it's a fantastic reboot. It sure seems popular on the CR list on the days it comes out.

Speaking as a non-US anime fan, Fruits Basket was licensed only in the USA, never in Latin America.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:

It's in alphabetical order. We have no idea what is on the top of these lists (other than speculation).

Well I'm dumb.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Speaking as a non-US anime fan, Fruits Basket was licensed only in the USA, never in Latin America.

Not in Latin America is correct, but "only in the USA" certainly is not. Per animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-04-02/crunchyroll-adds-new-fruits-basket-anime/.145320
Quote:
The series will debut on Friday in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and the Netherlands.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll let me know it was a mistake. I've replaced the old graphic with their updated one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2