• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Google's Stadia Launches With Final Fantasy XV, No Japan Support

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:27 am Reply with quote
I think the golden age of gaming might be behind us. X doesn't support Z, this group doesn't talk to that group. Exclusives, lootboxes, broken Day1 games. We still get some quality games, but everything in between the games themselves seems to be getting worse.
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:23 am Reply with quote
Let's see how long 'til Google abandons Stadia
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:03 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
I think the golden age of gaming might be behind us. X doesn't support Z, this group doesn't talk to that group. Exclusives, broken Day1 games.

When was any of this never a thing?

Every console generation has had some elements of all the above broken Day 1 games in particular was a pretty recurring problem for many games except unlike the modern era there weren't any patches to fix things.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Google Stadia= The Pippin of the west.

Watch it flop just like the Pippin as well, I remember seeing a Pippin on display back in the day, I tried it out for 5 minutes, and knew it was a heap of trash.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:05 pm Reply with quote
No physical, no ownership, no deal. End of story

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I can't see any new company getting into the console market and becoming any kind of notable competition. The three we have now are just too dominate.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm more optimistic for Google's chances.

We have to keep in mind here, that despite what they say... the hardcore gamer IS NOT the audience for this.

Their real audience are those who'll go with the free 1080p tier, and who buy games on the cheap, and who will game maybe 2-4 hours in a week. AKA - the more casual market.

Don't let all the emphasizing on 4K fool you - what they really want is royalties off the ones who'll use the free tier and who will not game so much to run over their caps.

As for the pricing - yes it'll be the same price as digital games, which are effectively the same or more expensive than the physical market.

But they'll also have sales and discounts. And Google definitely isn't expecting people to go all in on the latest releases.

They plan to make bank the same way Steam does - on cheaper sales and discounted older titles. NOT the Day 1 full price new releases. Sure some will buy them, but that won't be their concern.

And I have a feeling that a year from now when Google's own internal 1st party devs start putting out products, that their 1st party catalogue will likely be freely available like Netflix to the subscribers, and they intend to grow this over time, while also tossing in the occasional monthly free 3rd party titles like PS+ offers.

The hardcore will stick to the dedicated hardware. Better quality, no hassle and cheaper when you count the nickels.

It is the casual market, who doesn't game as much, and doesn't want to put up with new hardware upgrades, doesn't want to put up with waiting and downloading and patches, and for whom the streaming quality will be 'good enough.'

Stadia is not going to be some major takeover out the gates. 1-2 years from now, however, it could eat away a significant portion of the casual market much like mobile has. And you bet aside from the cheaper titles and ease of use, they'll be making money form microtransactions and lootboxes and gatcha. And also, I'm guessing they will figure out a way to implement advertising at the free tier, and offering more concessions for game streamers to steal some of the TWITCH traffic.

Despite Google's history of abandoning stuff, they're likely more dedicated to this because of first mover advantage (of this scale) and most importantly because they'll be leveraging one of their largest platforms - YouTube. And you bet they'l be tracking metrics to sell back to developers and advertisers on top of that. There are LOTS of ways to get money that aren't just from the user.

I wouldn't underestimate this move of theirs.

The only other capable competition will likely be Microsoft.

While Sony is currently ahead of everyone else, they will likely fall to 3rd place on this front. Mainly because, in the end, they'll be relying on Microsoft's servers, so Microsoft benefits from them as well.
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
H. Guderian wrote:
I think the golden age of gaming might be behind us. X doesn't support Z, this group doesn't talk to that group. Exclusives, broken Day1 games.

When was any of this never a thing?

Every console generation has had some elements of all the above broken Day 1 games in particular was a pretty recurring problem for many games except unlike the modern era there weren't any patches to fix things.

Agree there's literally always been console exclusives. Broken day one games didn't use to be a thing because it was impossible to patch, and the games were tiny, so making sure they didn't have bugs was way easier. But I remember clearly the first experience I had with patching a broken day one game, and that was so weird and alien. It was released the same year Google was founded. You probably found that patch through Alta Vista, and definitely while using a dial up modem. So yeah, basically as long as the internet had any level of widescale public use, day one patches were a thing. Nothing going downhill as far as I see.

Also, want to talk about how micro transactions are ruining anything? Old games were intentionally made super hard and with random secrets to them so that they could sell Nintendo Power and other video game magazines, hint books, and worst of all the pay by the minute 800 number hintline. So even if micro transactions are new, they've basically been using sketchy ways to make extra money off games since forever.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

We have to keep in mind here, that despite what they say... the hardcore gamer IS NOT the audience for this.

I don't know too many casual gamers who are into "streaming" their games.

jdnation wrote:

Their real audience are those who'll go with the free 1080p tier, and who buy games on the cheap,

Hardcore gamers will buy games on the cheap too.

jdnation wrote:
It is the casual market, who doesn't game as much, and doesn't want to put up with new hardware upgrades,

These are people who buy new phones every 2-3 years and buy new TV's ever 5-7 years that's a pretty bizarre mindset for them to have.

jdnation wrote:
doesn't want to put up with waiting and downloading and patches,

Yeah if they're going to be buying a gaming system which streams games they're going to have to have a stable and consistent internet connection otherwise they're going to have a crappy time.

jdnation wrote:
Stadia is not going to be some major takeover out the gates.

With googe's well known history of coming out with a new piece of tech they largely forget about or outright neglect they're not going to be doing much of anything period. Not helped by the fact that a streaming video game console is not a new thing.

Anyone remember OnLive or Steam Machine?

jdnation wrote:
1-2 years from now, however, it could eat away a significant portion of the casual market much like mobile has. And you bet aside from the cheaper titles and ease of use, they'll be making money form microtransactions and lootboxes and gatcha.

Well provided that these things don't become illegal or restricted in places like the U.S.

jdnation wrote:
I wouldn't underestimate this move of theirs.

At the same time I wouldn't put too much stock into it either.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:14 am Reply with quote
I'm failing to see how this has any advantage over a PS4, Xbone, or PC.

1. You still have to buy the games
2. You have to pay the service fee on top of that.
3. You have to have an internet connection even for single player games. People gave Microsoft so much crap for this during their Xbone premier, but people tend to forget I suppose.
4. Your library disappears once this shuts down in a few years

The only advantage is I guess it's half the price of a PS4 and Xbone, but this is assuming you'll have zero performance and input issues with streaming games.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
We were Google Project Stream testers for Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

The tech works well enough, even on 7-year-old ultrabook using public wi-fi
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1