• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Movies Experience "Production Crunch" Like TV Series Do?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I have to give the folks making Gundress credit for handling it like that. Buying a ticket to a movie that isn't good is one thing, but one that was obviously not finished would come off like a scam otherwise.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
My Sister, My Writer had shit animation since its very first episode.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Look up Clannad the Movie. It's waaay worst than the TV series.
professorwho

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:

Well, that was what Dezaki wanted, so it's not a fair comparison.

That said, the Kizumonogatari film trilogy had lots of touch ups done for the Blu-ray releases, along with a few other Shaft films (like Fireworks), so touching up isn't unheard of (even Liz and the Blue Bird had some for the JP BD), but generally what you see is what you get.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Gundress and Horus definitely came to mind for me, too. Didn't Wings of Honneamise also have some major behind the issues with it getting way behind schedule and overbudget before getting forced out the door? I think I remember reading about problems with Redline taking years longer than intended too.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
That was a great question, Matt!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:

Well, that was what Dezaki wanted, so it's not a fair comparison.
What was his reason why, or was it never disclosed?
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
This is when we get all those flashback recap episode specials.

Though I prefer they just delay things and fill in the gap with some production featurettes and interviews like Darling in the Franxx did. At least we get something new and interesting than some recap episode. Hell, I wouldn't mind watching scenes of raw pencil animation of previous episodes, but I'm into that kind of thing.
AholePony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Then you get the rare cases like the Genocidal Organ movie that suffered from the studio making it imploding under the weight of their poor management. Manglobe folded only a few weeks from the original release date iirc and then the studio that took over the project said they had to re-do like 90% of the work.

There are a lot more anime movie productions the past few years than we had been getting. I'm sure we'll get more of these crazy stories in the coming years.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I live for post-mortem stories like this.

Quote:
There has been one infamous case where the theatrical release wasn't moved, and it really, really needed to be. Allow me to recount the woeful tale of Gundress, a spectacular implosion of a 1999 feature with adapted Masamune Shirow character designs. The release date was set, but the film's production blew every deadline, and when it finally arrived in theaters, customers were greeted with an apology note from the producers ("This film isn't finished at all") and a form to be sent a free finished VHS copy upon its release. The screened version had many incomplete scenes, including some that were literally still pencil tests. The VHS copy didn't ship until four months later. I have yet to hear of someone genuinely liking this film.

Well shit.
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Someone really has to mention Negima! Final.

This was a film that had a late August 2011 release date. However, with SHAFT being busy with other projects, the animation process didn't even start until July of that year. As such, the film ended up being released in theaters incomplete, with scenes missing, and Ken Akamatsu having to post plot details online due to these problems.

Luckily, SHAFT managed to fix these problems for the DVD release, but still that definitely felt unprofessional (as if SHAFT cared for other works more than Negima).
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:11 am Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
That said, the Kizumonogatari film trilogy had lots of touch ups done for the Blu-ray releases, along with a few other Shaft films (like Fireworks), so touching up isn't unheard of (even Liz and the Blue Bird had some for the JP BD), but generally what you see is what you get.

Shaft are pretty renown for editing their releases for home ent. There's massive edits done to Madoka, that weren't even quality edits per se but just adding random stuff to the background... I assume that happened with Rebellion too.

I think probably most anime movies get touch ups for their home ent release, but they're not as noticeable as, like, Shaft edits.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:15 am Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
Then you get the rare cases like the Genocidal Organ movie that suffered from the studio making it imploding under the weight of their poor management. Manglobe folded only a few weeks from the original release date iirc and then the studio that took over the project said they had to re-do like 90% of the work.

There are a lot more anime movie productions the past few years than we had been getting. I'm sure we'll get more of these crazy stories in the coming years.

I’d be interested in knowing more about the production of this film and why so much of it had to be redone. 75% of the movie looks pretty bad. I’m assuming that’s where Genos picked up because all the early animation in the trailers and promos looked great. Characters regularly go off model and the later half of the movie looks decidedly worse than the earlier parts.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:51 am Reply with quote
Normally Pokemon usually has a good scheduling, both for the TV and Movie scheduling, though they got significantly ahead for TV production around some point into Diamond and Pearl and it continued up until fairly recently (this also allowed Dub production to go ahead of where the Japanese airings were). However, movies, in the past, didn't always guarantee they'd be finished in time for the theatrical release.

I'm unsure if this still happens, but in the past, theaters would be sent unfinished animation, but the most notable one was Movie 7, the Deoxys movie (also the second Advanced Generation movie).

4Kids Entertainment, who was still at the time the licensor, got sent the theatrical version to work with for dubbing. While there wasn't anything seriously wrong with the animation like the examples people have posted and the ones in the article, per-say, it was missing a lot of polish and had a number of mistakes that were fixed for the Japanese video release. Pokemon is no stranger for having video changes for the theatrical movies, really almost everything does in the industry. But this is probably one of the more radical instances to note, especially given it showed up on International licensing material.

Still, has nothing on anything else posted in the thread, haha.
Malsang

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Just chiming in to say that I love how My Sister, My Writer has become the de facto bad animation mascot, and I hope this trend continues for years on end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2