• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor Fukushi Ochiai Recounts Upsetting Encounter with Police

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like the hysteria that's happening over in the UK.
Thankfully I've heard few stories of fathers being treated this way here.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
What would have happened if he had not had those pictures on his phone? Unfortunately not that a rare occurrence as a precursory glance at google can tell.

Nothing wrong with the police asking him, better safe than sorry, but these things tend to escalate, in Florida a man helping a lost child was beaten and afterwards even after the police tried to set them straight the child's parents defamed him so much on facebook he(a father of two children himself) and his family had to flee the state.

In another more horrifying story, a father waits outside a store for his wife. While he is sitting there on a bench taking a business call and watching their toddler, a woman passes by and just grabs the carrier out of nowhere. Once he realizes what's happened, he gives chase and the woman picks up pace. He catches up but she starts to scream the man is a kidnapper. Bystanders gather starting to beat up the man not believing him while he desperately tries to explain. His wife returns from the store and begins a furious chase after taking everything in and luck have it catches and tackles her, getting hold off the carrier.
The worst part in the latter story at least for me might be that the police who had arrived at the scene first tried to defend the woman suggesting she might not have had any malice in her actions...
Incidentally, the man too had pictures on his phone and even tried to show them, but never got the chance under the beatdown nor likely have had any time so the happy ending was all due to the actions of the mother.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
There are lots of other stories that come out of Japan about men being labeled as "suspicious individuals" for simply asking for directions, or even just walking past some one. It's quite sad.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
So cops are the same no matter where you go.
unready

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
... in Florida a man helping a lost child was beaten and afterwards even after the police tried to set them straight the child's parents defamed him so much on facebook he(a father of two children himself) and his family had to flee the state.

He wasn't beaten, but he was punched a few times. The family of the girl wouldn't give up, even after the police pointed out they were wrong.
Fox 13 Tampa, FL

Blanchimont wrote:
In another more horrifying story, a father waits outside a store for his wife....

That one's a little harder to verify, because it seems no major media ever reported it. There's only the story of the mother posted on Reddit. The perpetrator seems to have escaped while the police were busy accusing the parents of kidnapping their own child.
Reddit
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:49 pm Reply with quote
God I really hate how our society can't accept that men can care for their children.
Sven Laguz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote
ikr, it is strange; nowadays, we are being more socially taught to try to branch out from the stereotypical social norms in regards to gender.

However, when one does, society itself refuses to believe or even mocks the individual for it.

For example, I have occasionally been mocked for not being "like a male" because I am not the biggest sports fan, instead being busy cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, reminding family of appointments/obligations, etc also liking plushies
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:45 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Ochiai speculated that, as in the incident described in the article, the person who reported him to the police was probably someone from the mother's group surrounding him from a distance.

In Japan, typically fathers are absentee-parent due to long hours at the job (so it can be unusual for dads alone playing with their kids)

And J-moms at the local park do form cliques - and if ya want your baby to know other kids, ya have to be part of the clique
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1