• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
MangaGamer: Valve Rejected The Expression Amrilato Game's Steam Release

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:21 am Reply with quote
I guess I better buy it and see if valve's accusation has any weight to it.
Nick4x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:31 am Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:

Considering their track record, I'm willing to bet they're mistaken... and that's a generous take. It's no secret that they've had a strange fixation with prohibiting anime-styled games with little-to-no explanation.

Thank goodness for platforms like GOG.
Florete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:25 am Reply with quote
Valve being inconsistent with their rules is as sure a thing in life as death and taxes.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:32 am Reply with quote
Have heard rumblings from VN friends that Valve has effectively imposed a de facto ban against the entire visual novel format. The Kickstarter-funded Muv-Luv photonflowers went out as a beta in March and should be ready for sale to the general public, but still hasn’t been released; one source tells me it’s because Valve won’t approve it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:58 am Reply with quote
Everybody knows younger looking girls in the shower together into each other is sexay! Laughing
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:00 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Have heard rumblings from VN friends that Valve has effectively imposed a de facto ban against the entire visual novel format. The Kickstarter-funded Muv-Luv photonflowers went out as a beta in March and should be ready for sale to the general public, but still hasn’t been released; one source tells me it’s because Valve won’t approve it.

A de facto ban isn't the case, as several vns have been added to Steam in June.

That said, Valve is not very consistent with sexual content, and does seem to have double standards. Big name AAA games can get away with basically anything, but an indie game will get banned for mild stuff sometimes seemingly at random, and visual novels in particular do seem vulnerable to that. So I wouldn't be surprised if Muvluv in is in fact being held up by Valve. Because again, Valve is inconsistent and seemingly random at times.

Regarding the VN talked about in this article, I've seen some screenshots on Twitter. Apparently it has no sex scenes, but it does have at least one bath scene with convenient steam censoring. This is (most likely) what got it in trouble with Valve.

It's no worse than a lot of anime hot springs/bath scenes involving highschoolers (in fact, far more mild than many) though, and I'd bet there are plenty of other games on Steam already with much more extreme content. But with Valve you can't really predict what will happen.

It's also frustrating to me that so many of the seemingly arbitrarily decisions Valve makes just happens to restrict visual novels with LGBT content. That might also be playing a role, as LGBT people are often inherently scene as sexual just by existing, so anything involving us might get an extra layer of scrutiny.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:19 am Reply with quote
It's especially frustrating when the "new and popular" section on Steam is constantly filled with blatant sexual games. Right now game 2 is an RPG Maker game where all the girls' chests are huger than Senran Kagura characters, and game 3 is an anime character maker with apparent sex simulation options. Neither of these games are explicitly about minors, but the latter lets you make your own characters so of course you can make ones that look like kids. And then f-ck them. Actually, now that I think about it, Senran Kagura itself is on Steam, and almost all its characters are minors.

Not that I think these games should be removed from Steam either, but it's just so frustrating that Valve deems cheap sex and fanservice games (that sell a ton!) to be no problem while insisting that legitimate story-based games are sexual with no reasoning. It's so disappointing how much of an inscrutable capitalist machine Valve has become.
Acrylic6

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:17 am Reply with quote
I hope Valve will approve this game soon.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:39 am Reply with quote
Nick4x wrote:
zunderdog24 wrote:

Considering their track record, I'm willing to bet they're mistaken... and that's a generous take. It's no secret that they've had a strange fixation with prohibiting anime-styled games with little-to-no explanation.

Well, Valve is an American company, and you wouldn't expect anything less.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:10 am Reply with quote
Steam has become very strict on ecchi games in the last year or any game that they think might have ecchi content. The main issue is that if even one of the Steam censors dislikes the look of the game than it gets rejected. I am disappointed with Valve but given the recent trend of censorship I can't say that this surprises me.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, Valve is an American company, and you wouldn't expect anything less.[/quote]

I don't think that is the point, Value has had a bone to pick with VN developers for a while now.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I think Valve just doesn't like visual novels, remember for the average gamer visual novels are often not considered games.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
A lot of you are ignoring the huge amount of VNs and games w/ sexual content that are already on Steam.

It's not that Valve actually has any opinions. They're just an awfully-managed company that only cares about things if it can make them money with the least amount of effort possible.
tomdean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Blowing people's heads off, chopping off their limbs, slicing open their guts...Okay

Sexual content...Not okay

Honestly, the world would be a much better place with more ecchi and less guns.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
If the girls are young looking, it sets off an alarm with Valve
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2