• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RobiHachi (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:35 am Reply with quote

RobiHachi (TV)

Genres: science fiction
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
In Neo Tokyo in the year G.C.0051, humans have known of aliens for the last 50 years and obtained super light-speed navigation technology and formed a commonwealth of planets. Self-proclaimed freelance reportage writer Robby Yarge fails at work, so his contract is cut. His girlfriend leaves him, he nearly dies in a traffic accident, and debt collectors are after him. One day, a bag snatcher steals Robby's bag, and a young man helps him. Hatchi Kita, an 18-year-old part-time worker, catches the criminal and returns Robby's bag. However, Hatchi turns up again in Robby's life as a debt collector. Hatchi explains that it's his part-time job working for the loan shark Yang. A cat-and-mouse chase begins, and Yang takes his subordinates Allo and Gras along for the ride.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
miketan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Robby is a funny character.
He is living life is the fast lane
And being a gullible on shortcuts to achieve success in life.

Despite being a poor bloke (and totally broke) and yet he lives in a high tech house???
And a high tech spaceship; which is a transformer! lol
never mind that!

quite a fun(ny) anime.

let me in for the next episode 2.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I would think that as a tourist attraction octopuses serving up octopus dishes would kinda squick people out. At least the series acknowledged that as a problem for normal people, which doesn't include Hatchi. Still how could they have survived as long as they did?

This series is really an odd duck. I mostly liked the first episode, but I almost turned off the second one before the halfway point, because the ridiculous bickering was getting on my nerves. The sooner they cut that back or out, the better.

But by the end of the episode they'd won me over again. And given all the Gintama alumni working on it, it seems like it ought to be able to pull some funny out of all this. So I guess we'll see if they can find a balance I like for more than a quarter of an episode at a time.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, unfortunately, if we're talking about Gintama, that show took quite a while before it was reliably hilarious. I doubt this show is going to have that much time, so they'll need to find a way to make it work a lot faster.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the 2nd episode was surprisingly unfunny. Or maybe ep.1 just appeared to be good because it was the first above-mediocre show i'd watched this season?

But well, i still believe/hope this has potential and robo-bunny is definitely best boy!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

At least the robot bluff battle was kind of funny, like two children doing make pretend battle with made up moves. Although, hardly original. I was kind of into that the episode repeated the Mars plot of helping with PR, that they then did the same with Pluto. Being real though, rather than the frozen wasteland, you would think there be something about cosy settlement under the surface.

Wonder if by accident Robby might pay off his debt along the way.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:02 am Reply with quote

Still not sure what to do with this. I really liked all the stuff about Yang and his minions, and I guess the side story about Gyo-Gyo was cute, but again, half of the episode was boring. And why would someone whose reason for living is to be surprised be the type to thoroughly vet restaurants beforehand?

At least the merfolk were real this time and not cosplaying for the tourists.
A2chiya

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 2This series is really an odd duck. I mostly liked the first episode, but I almost turned off the second one before the halfway point, because the ridiculous bickering was getting on my nerves. The sooner they cut that back or out, the better.

Part of your frustration might be due to a lack of context. As you all know, the anime is not based on a contemporary manga. It is, however, based on an early 19th-century picture book series about the misadventures of two men traveling from Edo (Tokyo) to the Ise Grand Shrine.

The long-running fictional series was hugely popular when it first came out and it is still a fairly well-known tale in Japan. I.e., the bickering duo of Robby/Hatchi was drawn from Yajirōbei/Kitahachi (note the similar names) of this older tale, much as C3PO/R2D2 was inspired by down-on-their-luck peasants Tahei/Matashichi of "Hidden Fortress." I don't know if it will improve your impression of RobiHachi, but I posted some of this information on the encyclopedia trivia page.

Interesting point about Gintama. While it is primarily a gag anime, you might be surprised how much historical information about real events, people, and places is interwoven into the Gintama Universe. For example, the real Takasugi Shinsaku died of tuberculosis during the Boshin War (Takasugi Shinsuke/Joui War in Gintama), which makes his current condition in the Silver Soul Arc particularly interesting. (Haha, to me, anyway. Wink) For those who do not know, disease-stricken victims cough up large amounts of blood as they slowly waste away. In episode 5, the raid on the Ikedaya Hotel serving as Katsura's Joui rebel HQ is based on a real event. On June 5, 1864, the Ikedaya Inn was successfully raided by the Shinsengumi and gave the newly organized police force a huge credibility boost. Speaking of the Shinsengumi, the real Kondou, Hijikata, and Okita came from the same hometown and were members of the same sword school, and that strong bond is well illustrated in the Gintama characters. Remember the Mitsuba Arc?

Well, I'd better quit now as I'm drifting off subject. Anyway, no doubt now you see director Takamatsu Shinji is once again using a strongly recognizable historical setting for this gag anime. However, unlike the Shinsengumi, who are famous enough that you can find plenty of English references and sources, tales of Yajirōbei and Kitahachi in English are scarce.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Okay, that reveal surprised me. That is the surprise reveal of spoiler[Wom-san from CHEDCL, being the underground leader]. I suppose that the hot baths should have been the clue in.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 5

Okay, that reveal surprised me. That is the surprise reveal of spoiler[Wom-san from CHEDCL, being the underground leader]. I suppose that the hot baths should have been the clue in.

Yeah, that was genuinely funny, but only really worked for people who watched that other series, i suppose.

That aside, i am still waiting for this show to get really funny. Our main trio has decent enough chemistry and there's some kind of mystery about Hacchi's background i am mildly curious about, but that's about it. The "villains" could be a lot more entertaining but for now the only "joke" is that Yang is an awkward gay stereotype and seems to have a not-entirely debt-collection-related thing for Robby?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
"You travel like a girl" is not a sexist insult I've heard before. oO I guess it's a riff on women packing more clothes or something, but it was so generalized it took me by surprise.

I thought maybe all those signs in runes might actually say something, since such things often tend to be transliterated English. But they don't seem to be using a single system that contains all the runes they use (even though all the runes appear in one system or another), so it's hard to tell.
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:51 am Reply with quote
I am really loving RobiHachi! I think the show is funny and fun. The ending song is my favorite of the season.

My favorite episode so far is the one where they go to the planet of the amusement park of love where no negative comments are allowed or risk being thrown out like trash. It has musical numbers. I can't wait to watch it dub.

Episode 9 they go to the planet of otaku. We find out that Robby's grandfather was an anime director. I did love that they showed the opening of Hizakuriger in all its old glory. Also that the fans of the anime were willing to destroy Robby's brain to see the ending of the anime they like was like a horror show. Luckily Yang saved him.

Be on the lookout for Boueibu references. I wonder how connected it is to RobiHachi or if it is just shoutouts because they share the same director.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:03 am Reply with quote
A little bit of thinking, such as how they showed at the beginning of the episode the first person on the moon and finding an alien, to be Hatchi, makes the plot go possibly further. It looked like the 12th episode of Hizakuriger included a bit about a children duo that had one saying they would make anime and the other becoming a space adventurer, which may have well been biographical in a way. Robby's grandfather made a promise in his youth to someone that he would make anime, which he did, and according to the otaku it was during that run that a person landed on the moon and met aliens. It may have well been that was person was the childhood friend, with them both achieving their wishes at the same time, and that person looking like Hatchi at the beginning maybe showing that it was Hatchi's own grandfather, meaning that Robby and Hatchi's grandfathers knew each other.

This in turn could explain why Hatchi's family is so rich, being founders in human and alien relations. Robby's family though having repeated failures.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Well, it ended, and surprise Hatchi is a prince of the moon who for some ungiven reason was a family that came from Japan. I think the hinted history I mentioned earlier is quite likely, about a connection between their grandfathers. They did end up somehow saving the Earth by accident and having it attributed to them piloting Hizakuriger, kind of a little frustrating that Robby apparently ended up back where he started, although maybe not in debt and Hatchi has some more freedom.

I think that the show had its moments, but sometimes more troublesome than it was worth. Especially in terms of Yang, who comes across as a crazy stalker rapist, all because he is gay, where it feels like the show wants to have its cake and eat it too. Some ways it wants to show it as kind of sweet that Yang doesn't appear like the campy sort at first, cares about his underlings, and kind of cares about Robby's safety where he can be sympathetic. Other times he is in full blown rapist mode, talking about Robby's butt, and really not understanding that "no means no", which I think is supposed to be part of Japan's just a funny joke thing, but comes across as super uncomfortable. It feels like at times the show really wants to be 'woke', but then falls back into lazy politically incorrect jokes. Although, I don't really know if that is just the view of someone outside of Japan.

Some episodes had me just turn my brain off because it so did not interest me, but others managed to actually do so, more than say Cinderella Nine that I really struggled to keep attention despite the moe characters. Some things were clever, some things had an interesting take, but others were also a little groan worthy, at least for me. I give the show a rating of Decent (6/10), I didn't lose my time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1