• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fan-Made Chrome Extension Restores 'Fly Me To The Moon' Evangelion Ending Theme

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAnonymousUsual

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
BTW--I thought the original ending theme on the ADV DVD release was Astrud Gilberto singing "Fly Me To The Moon"--I thought I even saw it in the credits. Maybe I just had "The Girl From Ipanema" on my mind at the time (perphaps the most familiar of her vocals), and assumed it was her...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Can we get one to add in the Shinji rant after the last episode?

https://youtu.be/kGMuaXIlckU
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I must admit I usually skip the ending credits since I have seen them so many many times over the years. That said, if I remember correctly there are many different performances of Fly Me To The Moon in the Eva credits. I can't remember if every episode is different or if only some of them are, but I know that there are several versions used (on the original Japanese discs, anyway) The 3rd volume of the Evangelion soundtrack CD has 10 or more different versions on it.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that brings back hilarious memories.

Our local "I am houlier than thou" otaku backin the late 90s showed how superior he was to us peasants of the local "comic book store" , by ordering an evangelion OST disc. It was prety fun for us when he got the one with the multiple fly me to the moon versions.
https://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Shiro-Sagisu/dp/B00023P3XO
the_animan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:12 pm Reply with quote
"In other words," - I see what you did there. Cool
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Can we get one to add in the Shinji rant after the last episode?

https://youtu.be/kGMuaXIlckU

Absolutely.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I was definitely disappointed that Fly Me to the Moon was not in there. I was not even aware that there was a different version of the ED.
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
So what song is playing instead?
JamesYTPGuy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Dracospirit121 wrote:
So what song is playing instead?

Rei I from the soundtrack. I'm 15 episodes in so far and I'm wondering if that will actually alter the feeling of the scenes that use it since it was used pretty sparingly in the show and for some kind of important scenes.

Re: the extension in general I'm kind of used to the new dub and the Rei I credits to the point where I guess I wanna watch it through that way once to experience it that way, but if that were available when I started I'd have totally used it lol. I've actually had thoughts of doing something REALLY ghetto and putting Neflix's HD video on the tv, muting it, taking my old DVDs and popping them in my computer or maybe my old CRTV and trying to play them simultaneously to fix everything lmao.
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
This is cool but I personally wouldn't use it since watching through the browser is stereo only and Evangelion has a really well done 5.1 mix so I only watch through the Windows Netflix app or Xbox/PS4.
Maybe its possible with a Chromecast device but I don't have one so I have no idea if extensions can be used with it.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I'd go this route if I planned on every getting past episode 3 via netflix.
AnimusPrime

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I love this idea, very clever plug-in, but it has to be violating some copyright law. Netflix made a bid for the song in America, they didn't like the price, so they went with an alternative track and the copyright owner got zilch. Now that the plug-in is here the copyright owner still gets zilch.

Is it a free plug-in? If there's any fee attached, that coder is gonna have a team of lawyers after him/her soon
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:33 am Reply with quote
Imma get this before it shuts down.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
AnimusPrime wrote:
I love this idea, very clever plug-in, but it has to be violating some copyright law. Netflix made a bid for the song in America, they didn't like the price, so they went with an alternative track and the copyright owner got zilch. Now that the plug-in is here the copyright owner still gets zilch.

Is it a free plug-in? If there's any fee attached, that coder is gonna have a team of lawyers after him/her soon
The Netflix Terms of Use also appear to be against it:
Quote:
4.6. You agree to use the Netflix service, including all features and functionalities associated therewith, in accordance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations, or other restrictions on use of the service or content therein. Except as explicitly authorized in these Terms of Use, you agree not to archive, download, reproduce, distribute, modify, display, perform, publish, license, create derivative works from, offer for sale, or use content and information contained on or obtained from or through the Netflix service.
sfried

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
It would be funny if it played Bayonetta's version of Fly Me To the Moon instead...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1