• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 10 Minutes of New Shin Evangelion Film Streams Online with French Subtitles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm all here for Anno's off the walls mecha designs and that's enough to excite me. I've been waiting for ages for this finale and I'm so hyped.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:14 am Reply with quote
I didn't care much for 3.0 much but I'm willing to give Anno the befit of doubt that he may pull a real comeback here and redeem the Rebuild films.

Last edited by Zeino on Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:34 am Reply with quote
I often feel like the only one who liked 3.0. Are Eva fans still going with the theory that spoiler[Mari is Asuka's mom]?
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:36 am Reply with quote
Eva 3.33 came out 7 years ago, but apparently there hasn't been enough time to finish griping about it. It's going to be a long few more years.

I liked this preview well enough, but it isn't exactly much to go on.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:37 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Eva 3.33 came out 7 years ago, but apparently there hasn't been enough time to finish griping about it. It's going to be a long few more years.
People forget about all the death threats Anno got over the TV series ending.
Hatsu95

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:52 am Reply with quote
So after so many years of waiting you're trying to tell me we still can't get 2D drawn mechas ? What a disappointment.
your fly is down

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:50 am Reply with quote
Ah yes you have done it again EVA. You have left me sitting wondering what the actual heck is going on.
I'll be honest I didn't like this preview.
But I'll try to be straight to the point about why.
Just like 3.33 the eva fights play out more basic like an average mecha fight versus how eva fights used to play out, with lots of blood, disgusting visceral movements and a sense of unpredictability that made me feel uncomfortable.
There is no emotional core. Unlike the original series none of the characters in this preview or in 3.33 for that matter are scared or unsure of themselves (except shinji, who we did not see) the characters feel like imperfect copies of themselves with the same face and mannerisms but none of their emotional weak point.
And lastly why is the show so intent on retconing stuff from the main series. Why is the impact now reversible. Why can anyone just activate the EVA beast mode.
More and more I feel the rebuild is a letter of hate from Anno to EVA fans. More and more I feel Anno does not want EVA to have ever existed. I get that many enjoy the basic EVA we get in the rebuilds but I'm sure if this is what EVA started out as, the show would never have been as memorable as it is now.
I'll shut up after this until the movie comes out for viewings. I'll be hopeful Anno makes a masterpiece but the bar is pretty high and if it anything like 3.33 then I hope the series just stops at this point.
Speaking as a fan of evangalion and annos work .
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:27 am Reply with quote
Hatsu95 wrote:
So after so many years of waiting you're trying to tell me we still can't get 2D drawn mechas ? What a disappointment.
I can not remember 3 too well, but I know 1 and 2 had 2D mechs. They look 2D and some solid evidence is that there are animatics of them where it is clearly pencil and paper(in some cases tablet) drawings
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/10eec6e87edb470ac51b58f95eecccac.mp4
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/fbc7813b91a530282a96f913c9a64b1e.mp4
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/a4fe5af1701f84e14d33e6a54105f9ec.mp4
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/6a6d1a00e1b3fd11e7fbaae675b8da61.mp4
and there are a million more examples. Maybe the heavy post processing makes them look 3D.

As for this film, it is possible that because of the 3D camera they had to use 3D models, in which other scenes may not be 3D, but we will see.
chronos02

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:22 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Hatsu95 wrote:
I can not remember 3 too well, but I know 1 and 2 had 2D mechs. They look 2D and some solid evidence is that there are animatics of them where it is clearly pencil and paper(in some cases tablet) drawings
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/10eec6e87edb470ac51b58f95eecccac.mp4
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/fbc7813b91a530282a96f913c9a64b1e.mp4
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/a4fe5af1701f84e14d33e6a54105f9ec.mp4
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/6a6d1a00e1b3fd11e7fbaae675b8da61.mp4
and there are a million more examples. Maybe the heavy post processing makes them look 3D.

As for this film, it is possible that because of the 3D camera they had to use 3D models, in which other scenes may not be 3D, but we will see.

1.0 and 2.0 had 3D models of the eva, with some scenes being drawn, some others using the 3D models. Most notably, the scenes where the eva had to be transported using the rails, as well as some others like when the eva 01 runs towards Sahaquiel's predicted crashing point. 3.0 also used many 3D models, but mostly centred around the battleships and other equipment like in 1.0 during Ramiel's attack with the powerplant machines feeding the sniper rifle.

It's quite easy to know if what's shown on screen is a CG model or something drawn with the rebuild series, most of the hand drawn elements have strange and/or exaggerated proportions, while CG models are usually too perfect. CG models are also really, really stiff anf have strange animations set on them, while hand drawn ones flow naturally. Coloring also gives CG models away since the movements of the paint and reflections is too smooth and too perfect from frame to frame.

these first 10 min of the movie have mostly 3D models for both the Eva and most of the machinery, minus some hand drawn shots of parts of the eva in the background when other characters take the spotlight, like Ibuki.

Do keep in mind that when I say hand drawn I mean digitally composited from a hand drawn base, no anime is hand drawn to the screen anymore.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:39 am Reply with quote
The only things worthwhile from 3.33 was the new angle of Shinji and Fuyutsuki. If you read into it its a lot of people unable to communicate or get their ideas across while being forced to continue on anyways. Fuyutsuki invites Shinji to play a game, as its the only way he knows how to relate to others.

3.33 was Anno inviting us in to express is lamentation for where he is in his career and the state of the industry.

These movies also bother me with the speed of change. One nice point about the TV series was them dropping little hints of the extreme strain NERV was on the world economy and the tension between the agency were supposed to root for and growing global animosity to get rid of NERV. Sure it starts out with the army types resentful to hand repelling the 3rd angel. "Let the cool kids do it." It starts off as a trope. But then the civilians leaving Tokyo 3, Jet Alone scandal, smashing the UN Fleet, getting sabotaged themselves, creating a recession for opposing NERV/Selee. And the sheer stunning pace of the mass production models crippling any spending on NERV itself to soften it up for End of Eva.

NERV was always a shoestring operation for anything that itself wasn't an Eva. Seeing a hundred or more Eva/Angel hybrids is a cool toy idea but really craps on any idea of world building.

What matters from this final movie is when we get back to Shinji. Will he learn to love and communicate with others? That's the core. This is just eye candy.

I await your final word Anno.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:22 am Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
Do keep in mind that when I say hand drawn I mean digitally composited from a hand drawn base, no anime is hand drawn to the screen anymore.
You mean it's not cel animated? Sorry for the confusion I've just never heard cel animation described as drawn to the screen .

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
ConnormonCat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:01 am Reply with quote
That was off the charts and I'm back on my bullshit for Anno's bullshit.

Mari driving this new Eva config like she's reversing a car.

Weird weaponized Angels in green who are very unsubtly goose-stepping across Europe.

Stabbing someone with the Eiffel Tower while saying "excusez-moi, Eiffel."

So ridiculous, but I loved every second.

Interesting to finally decide to take us outside Japan, and this new era where Humanity is reversing the impact incredibly successfully?

I don't know how this movie will go down, but it's got my attention.
chronos02

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:19 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
chronos02 wrote:
You mean it's not cel animated? Sorry for the confusion I've just never heard cel animation described as drawn to the screen .

Between cell and purely digital compositing was a time when artists drew the different keyframes and then composited them directly on software without doing a full digital redraw, might as well call them digital cel frames. They aren't much different from normal cels, safe for the problem of resolution and lack of error correction from a digital redraw of the lines. I believe this was a thing back during the late 90s and early 2000s.
russ869

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:12 am Reply with quote
After Eva really went off the deep end into 90% bizarre visuals with 3.33, I guess I was kidding myself to think it would return to some semblance of philosophical sanity, emotional subtlety, and characterization (by the way, these things are a large part of what Eva popular in the first place). But I still won't judge the film until I can see the whole thing. 3.33 was only so disappointing because Studio Khara proved they could make a perfect Eva film with 2.22.

H. Guderian wrote:
NERV was always a shoestring operation for anything that itself wasn't an Eva. Seeing a hundred or more Eva/Angel hybrids is a cool toy idea but really craps on any idea of world building.

Agreed. The idea of angel/eva-based technology (e.g. AT field propulsion, etc.) being developed in the 14 year timeskip is cool, but the sheer excess of it makes the post-near-third-impact world almost not even seem connected at all to the world we saw in 1.11 and 2.22. It's like Shinji was transported to a chaotic hellscape based more on pretentious art imagery than logic.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited/anxious for this. Maybe this will give Toonami an excuse to finally run 3.33 if FUNimation dubs this preview...?

I guess Evangelion 4.0, coming to a theater near you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2