• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam: Reconguista in G Compilation Film Project to Have 5 Films

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:29 am Reply with quote
From what I hear Tomino doesn’t expect to live much longer so he wants to go out on a good note with these films.

Though damn, 5 G-Reco movies & then the Hathaway’s Flash Trilogy.

That’s a lot of movies.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:52 am Reply with quote
But will it make anymore sense than the TV series? That is the real question here.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:08 am Reply with quote
That's not how compilation movies work, Tomino.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:21 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
But will it make anymore sense than the TV series? That is the real question here.

Of course it won't. The history of anime compilation movies tells one truism : if you haven't understood the tv show you'll have no chance of understanding the compilation movie.
A compilation movie is not a remake of the tv show, it's not even a re-imagining of the tv show. It's just the tv show (or part of the tv show) cut up in pieces with hopefully a couple of minutes of new animation. You will not get new character development or a rewriting of the story, or one of the many things that are necessary to correct G-Reco.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:26 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Zeino wrote:

Of course it won't. The history of anime compilation movies tells one truism : if you haven't understood the tv show you'll have no chance of understanding the compilation movie.
A compilation movie is not a remake of the tv show, it's not even a re-imagining of the tv show. It's just the tv show (or part of the tv show) cut up in pieces with hopefully a couple of minutes of new animation. You will not get new character development or a rewriting of the story, or one of the many things that are necessary to correct G-Reco.
'

The original Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy can easily be understood by people who never saw the TV series. Moreover, arguably a better version.

The Zeta Gundam movies... not as much. Let's hope Tomino's G-Reco movies are more like the former. And hey, he has two more movies to work with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:50 am Reply with quote
This is a big yikes
G Reco was such total trash it didn't even sell in japan, trying to get 5 films out of it would make more sense if they were direct to vhs releases cause they sure as hell wont sell tickets in theaters.
neon black

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:50 am Reply with quote
Would the series be a worthwhile watch or should it be skipped?
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:10 am Reply with quote
neon black wrote:

Frankly at this point watching Xabungle would be a much better use of your free time.
G-Reco is just a missed opportunity. It is fundamentally a stupid show (nothing at all makes sense, in-universe and out) even by Tomino standards. If you want to see what a good Tomino show is go watch Xabungle or Dunbine. Give priority to Xabungle it's worth it.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:23 am Reply with quote
Five films probably means a radical readjustment of the plot so it makes sense. Which, good on him for wanting to fix the show up, but realistically how much can be done? It’s like all the attempts to make Highlander II good. Sure you get rid of the alien subplot but does the core material really make that much sense?
db999

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:59 am Reply with quote
I find it very odd that they're going for 5 films because it's usually the opposite of how compilation movies work. Usually, for compilation movies, they have to cut out a lot of material to get the series down to the time frame of the movies, but with 5 films it's much more likely that they won't need to cut any material out. I did the math, and this series has 26 episodes, with each episode being around 21 minutes long when you cut out the opening and endings, which is around 9 hours of material. Depending on how long each film is, they wouldn't need to cut any material out. If each film was 90 minutes they'd only need to cut an hour and a half out of the show, and if each film was 110 minutes they wouldn't need to cut anything out. I'd only be interested in checking this out if each film was at least 2 hours long, which would let them expand the story a little bit.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:31 am Reply with quote
He should just hold an editing competition. Give everyone access to the source files and see who can edit the existing material into a story.

As much as I hate Harmony Gold, they could do this, swap some names out, and claim it is a Robotech property.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
He should just hold an editing competition. Give everyone access to the source files and see who can edit the existing material into a story.

As much as I hate Harmony Gold, they could do this, swap some names out, and claim it is a Robotech property.

I’d rather not have Gundam be handed to a group of literal gangsters.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote
neon black wrote:

The consensus is a hard no, plot and character make no sense, with baffling decision being taken every episode. It's a shame cause some of the later mech design are pretty cool.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:05 pm Reply with quote
The thing about G-Reco is that it's got as many ideas and as much plot as a yearlong Gundam show, but compressed into 26 episodes. Summing the whole thing up in just two or three films would have been very challenging, even for someone like Tomino who has directed more compilation movies than just about anyone else. I just wish one of the movies were a sequel to the show.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Reconguista reminded me of a lot of the mecha shows I enjoyed watching back when I was first getting into anime fandom, such as Orguss 02, Brain Powerd, and Dangaioh: not the most coherent stories in the world, but really fun to watch. For that reason, I'm eagerly anticipating these new films.

At the very least, I hope that these films will lead to some SDs from the series. I'd love to get a Cross Silhouette kit of the G-Self Perfect Pack.

db999 wrote:
I find it very odd that they're going for 5 films because it's usually the opposite of how compilation movies work. Usually, for compilation movies, they have to cut out a lot of material to get the series down to the time frame of the movies, but with 5 films it's much more likely that they won't need to cut any material out.

The third Mobile Suit Gundam compilation film was somewhere around 60%+ new material, so this feels perfectly in keeping with Tomino's track record.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2