• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar Blu-ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
The way people talked about this series i'd expect all Fs...nicely done!!!
It has two themes people love too hate on nowadays...isekai and harem...and as someone who literally owns every dubbed harem anime ever released on blu ray/dvd I can say it wasnt the greatest, but sometimes its just fun too mindlessly watch an anime without thinking too much and relax :p
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching this show, but it failed to grab me at every level (and I sat through all of Death March, where the only saving grace was the dub). I think i made it to episode 3 or 4 before tapping out.
Cloudywind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:54 pm Reply with quote
The question of where exactly Yggdrasil is any why there is so much Norse myth flavor to this ancient bronze age society is a running mystery in the novels that the anime just didn't seem to care to acknowledge, as it ends before the mystery is solved anyway.

spoiler[it's actually Atlantis]
sniper_samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
This anime adaptation is absolute garbage, covering 9 volumes of the light novel over its single cour run. Just do yourself a favour and read the novels instead.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Yay I am seriously surprised the review really doesn't talk about how horrible the animation can be or that all the harem members are made to call him big brother and are effectively his slaves
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
To anyone thinking of getting this, I'd say that the most fair assessment I can give is that other isekai like Deathmarch and Smartphone were more entertaining and had more going for them. A really big "OK I guess...". The review I think is a little charitable but fair. I watched it all, sort of liked parts but by the end I felt my time a little wasted. If you are knowledgeable about Norse mythology and history and are as sensitive as I am about accuracy, the show might have you "gjal-ing" at the screen...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:06 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Yay I am seriously surprised the review really doesn't talk about how horrible the animation can be or that all the harem members are made to call him big brother and are effectively his slaves

Serfs were essentially slaves to their feudal lords. Any nobility could kill you or other bad stuff without censure. That is just the way things were. That is not a hit against the anime, though your other point is quite valid.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:08 am Reply with quote
Down as everyone seems to be on this title — “not as good as Deathmarch or Smartphone” puts it under an already very low bar — it’s surprising that this is getting a physical release at all. With a dub, even! I bet we can all think of streaming-only titles that would be more worth Funimation’s time.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
it’s surprising that this is getting a physical release at all. With a dub, even! I bet we can all think of streaming-only titles that would be more worth Funimation’s time.

it was a CR Co-Pro, so this was inevitable
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:10 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
invalidname wrote:
it’s surprising that this is getting a physical release at all. With a dub, even! I bet we can all think of streaming-only titles that would be more worth Funimation’s time.

it was a CR Co-Pro, so this was inevitable

So the target audience is Crunchyroll’s accountants. It all makes sense now.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:54 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure I'd call starting partway through a story like this did entirely negative. In a weird way, it seemed like an acknowledgment that there was so much redundancy that it would at least spare the audience the same setup they see in other isekai titles. On the other hand, it also means they basically acknowledge that it's not bring much of its own to the table.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1