• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Certain Scientific Accelerator

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if it's the direction, but something about this show feels kinda lame. Like the way the scenes are paced out and the way they come together feels off. I wouldn't say amateurish but just not... great? The only other anime the director of this anime seems to have directed is... Big Order... Now, I haven't actually seen that show so I don't know if the direction is really bad in it, but it's kinda infamous for how bad it was in general.

I dunno, it might be just me. Maybe Index's 3rd season sucked all interest towards A Certain franchise from me.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
No it's not just you.. The 3rd Index season killed my interest in this franchise as well.
I never really was into the Railgun Spinoffs as I thought they were not as good as Index.
This title though already feels like the 3rd season, more acronyms for groups that mean nothing after a few episodes.. It's also hard to get into a series revolving around a pretty 2 dimensional character... he wants to be the bad guy, but he has a loli keeping him in line.. *sigh*
micah007

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited. Index III was largely disappointing but I treated it like any series/franchise with a bad anime adaptation and just read the light novels, which were much better and far more interesting. It is unfortunate that I haven't come across too many science/science fiction series that interest me in the unique way that index does so despite the downsides to it my interest in the series has remained quite strong. As long as this spin-off in particular is at least consistent I will be pleased, hopefully Railgun will follow.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I can understand what is going on so it is already miles better than Index Season 3 imo.

I am just hanging around till Railgun season 3. If that sucks, then I won't be bothering with anything else.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
No it's not just you.. The 3rd Index season killed my interest in this franchise as well.
I never really was into the Railgun Spinoffs as I thought they were not as good as Index.
This title though already feels like the 3rd season, more acronyms for groups that mean nothing after a few episodes.. It's also hard to get into a series revolving around a pretty 2 dimensional character... he wants to be the bad guy, but he has a loli keeping him in line.. *sigh*

I agree that Index III killed a lot of interest for me but Accelerator is getting me back into it and I will explain why

to use your analogy, if Accelerator is 2 dimensional, Touma after Index III is 1 dimensional. Touma's personality seems simplistic to me at points not to mention grating.
-his comment towards Itsuwa about how "he's just a high schooler" screams a lack of awareness of his influence and status.
-HIs comment towards Hamazura which got flashbacked sounds overly simplistic and doesn't acknowledge deep issues about what he fights for or systemic problems with Academy City
-He has gone from someone being haplessly thrown into situations into someone charging in. LNs in the Sequel series regarding spoiler[Othinus and the Omega world] also put too much importance on Touma which i feel is the fault of the author
-the massive harem, he honestly hasn't done anything to deserve it other than the heroism, nothing involving his personality or interactions and that grates on me.

As for Accelerator and why i find him more thematic or relatable:
-the whole "wanting to be the bad guy" is less him trying to do evil and more a warped perspective on how he is. He wants to do good but doesn't see himself as good. it's a contextualization thing that makes his relation with Last Order notable given how despite his view of himself, he is still quite caring
-Compared to Touma, Accelerator has a pseudo family that he cares for and wants to protect
-His guilt over the Sisters project is a far stronger reason for why he wants to do good than just being the knight.

As for the show itself, the OP is quite energetic which i like. The animation for the show is better than Index III though there is one odd editing choice where he lands on the ground and then is in the air next to the eye in the next shot with no indication of jumping up. Fight animation and effects look more involved. The starting plot line also feels like it will be quite fun
VerQuality

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I'd read the manga earlier (and could barely get past 2 volumes, it was not great by any stretch), and I had almost forgotten how stupidly edgy this series is. The bad guys aren't just bad, they're comically evil.
Nice to hear Accelerator's VA can still pull off that crazy laugh, and LO is cute. This is one of those series I'll probably watch while fully admitting that by any objective metric, it's not very good at all.
Stiles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Always happy to see more animated To Aru, as I love this series to death and the #1 is my favorite guy. The animation doesn't look as good as Index 3, or the previous seasons either for that matter, but it's not bad at all regardless.

I don't particularly like that they opened with filler, even if I get why they did. Feels too much like Railgun, whose own adaptation leans too heavily on anime only content and drags it down.

Still, this should only be an improvement over the manga, so I can't imagine any fan will be disappointed.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
*Googles*

...Why would you use that character design for a character named Esther Rosenthal?

Japan, you do realize Europe contains more than one phenotype, right?
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:40 am Reply with quote
VerQuality wrote:
I'd read the manga earlier (and could barely get past 2 volumes, it was not great by any stretch), and I had almost forgotten how stupidly edgy this series is. The bad guys aren't just bad, they're comically evil.
Nice to hear Accelerator's VA can still pull off that crazy laugh, and LO is cute. This is one of those series I'll probably watch while fully admitting that by any objective metric, it's not very good at all.

I personally want to say wait and see how the anime turns out as media transformations can improve a work but I do have to ask who bad was the Manga?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:41 am Reply with quote
Your mileage may vary, of course, but to me the manga is mediocre at best. Of its issues, there's the most obvious one with the art being kind of bad and really not up to any of the previous To Aru entries. The plot is spoiler[unimportant overall, unlike Railgun's that has consequences for the whole world. Accelerator in general isn't the best protagonist imo because it's just extremely hard to make it look like he's not gonna curbstomp any enemy]. There are good things about the story of course, like the introduction of spoiler[the Scavengers]
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I feel like this is pretty solid so far. I like the darker take on Academy City and general feel of this. Animation looks decent (and better than Index 3).

Ep1-2 Review wrote:
While this episode didn't achieve quite the spectacle that both opening acts for Railgun did, it nonetheless served its purpose well, in the process reassuring fans that the mostly-new production staff would be capable of handling the content. And also like Railgun, its real storyline starts in earnest with episode 2.

The only thing I don't quite get is that the masterminds have to be aware of Accelerator if they know about Last Order, but they're being awfully cavalier about that.

Railgun season 1 started the story on the first episode. It probably wasn't obvious on the first watch, but that pyro guy was said to have displayed a level of power greater than his level and you see focus on his phone so he was clearly the first case shown to us regarding the level upper.

As for Accel, I think part of it is that this happens right after his brain damage. In Index 2, Awaki makes fun of him saying she heard about his injury and how he has weakened. Recognition of the level 5s has also been a bit hit or miss, and I'm not sure it is general knowledge that Accel is now looking out for the clones even if the mastermind did know he was present in the hospital.

Izanagi009 wrote:
I personally want to say wait and see how the anime turns out as media transformations can improve a work but I do have to ask who bad was the Manga?

Without touching on the story at all, I'll say that it isn't really that 'bad,' but it is boring. It is kind of slow, the villains just don't feel impressive, and it downplays Accelerator so much that I'd argue he isn't even the main character in the first arc. I really like Accel in the LNs, but I think even the Railgun spinoff manga is a lot more interesting than Accel's manga. I do have some hope that the anime adaptation will improve the feel of the pacing and presence of Accel.

I think having Accel's spinoff where they put it in the timeline was a huge miss.
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
So it’s the annoying one of the Misakas and that crazy voice actor in one show!
I expected something really bad, but somehow it seems to grow on me. Will keep watching!
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote
jeez the hatemail for index 3 is getting extremely stupid. its the reason why it took so damned long for a third season to be given the go ahead!

typical LN puruits!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:14 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
jeez the hatemail for index 3 is getting extremely stupid. its the reason why it took so damned long for a third season to be given the go ahead!

typical LN puruits!

I don't think it was just LN purists. Index III had some issues that were obvious even to those of us who haven't read the novels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

typical LN puruits!

Trust me, I think the fact is they tried to stay too close to the LNs resulting in rushed pacing, and poor character development. Combined with poor animation and effects along with Touma’s antiquated ideology and it’s a recipe for a bad show
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5