• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Does Being Nominated or Winning an Eisner Award Impact Manga Sales?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I was glad to see Frankenstein win an award, as both the physical edition and the story/art itself were incredible. Hearing of its existence, i had wondered how yet another telling of Frankenstein could possibly be scary... but Junji Ito does it, with intensely creepy and unsettling art.

I haven't read the other two works, yet, unfortunately; I do read quite a few shojo series, but my backlog is fairly enormous as it is.
Amibite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The Eisners are not any different from other awards in the sense it's more about having the right politics than anything else. A lot of the stuff that wins are very obscure books that focus on key social or political issues being celebrated, not the stuff that's actually selling well in the market and being read by fans. So by virtue of already being so niche, a book getting any buzz at all might boost it's sales at least by a few copies, especially among the non manga-savvy audience the Eisners are aimed at.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
The Eisners are not any different from other awards in the sense it's more about having the right politics than anything else. A lot of the stuff that wins are very obscure books that focus on key social or political issues being celebrated, not the stuff that's actually selling well in the market and being read by fans.

*facepalm* An award that's not awarded on the basis of sales and readership has problems because it's not awarded based on sales and readership.

Circular logic FTW!
kpossibles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm laughing because Higashimura-sensei totally wasn't expecting to win this award at all!

https://twitter.com/higashimura_a/status/1152493733750829056
https://twitter.com/higashimura_a/status/1153138030686826497

I think it does well for future publications of that creator. You can put the tagline "From the Eisner Award winning creator" in the summary of the series and it will help librarians identify that it is a good title to add to their collection. I'm not sure if it will affect normal buyers, but it does help overall if it's a creator that has a vast amount of titles.

Personally hope that Seven Seas will use the "Eisner Award winning creator" tagline to promote Blank Canvas to librarians. It goes through the typical issues of a high schooler when applying to a specialized college and I think many readers will relate to that.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I haven't read the other two works, yet, unfortunately; I do read quite a few shojo series, but my backlog is fairly enormous as it is.

Don't know if you're referring to Tokyo Tarareba Girls specifically, but it's josei, not shoujo. There aren't too many shoujo series where the main character is 33 years old Wink

Very happy (and surprised) that this series won, and I had no idea that Higashimura-sensei is the first woman manga creator to win in that category. The insights into how the Eisners affect sales is interesting too, and I hope that this prize encourages more people to check out her work, even if it's only a few.

kpossibles wrote:
Personally hope that Seven Seas will use the "Eisner Award winning creator" tagline to promote Blank Canvas to librarians. It goes through the typical issues of a high schooler when applying to a specialized college and I think many readers will relate to that.

I went to art school for many years, and so far, Blank Canvas is highly relatable, in certain ways.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
In regards to manga, I feel the Eisners aren't really a big deal for them. The comic industry in the US (not just Marvel and DC) feels really uninviting to manga at large, ignoring how important manga has been to publishers for literal decades (Blade of the Immortal, Lone Wolf and Cub, and Ah My Goddess having been in circulation for so long, for one; the runaway successes of modern hits like Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia for another). But "comics people" feel... really snobby towards manga?

I mean, look at how long it took Rumiko Takahashi to get an Eisner. And she had multiple genre-defining hits over a career spaning 4 decades. No offense to Miyazaki, but you almost expect he got his Eisner for Naussica because he's Hayao Miyazaki and He Made Naussica.

I dunno, the way manga has been ghettoed by nerd culture at large in the US bugs me.
Brandon Shorter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
In regards to manga, I feel the Eisners aren't really a big deal for them. The comic industry in the US (not just Marvel and DC) feels really uninviting to manga at large, ignoring how important manga has been to publishers for literal decades (Blade of the Immortal, Lone Wolf and Cub, and Ah My Goddess having been in circulation for so long, for one; the runaway successes of modern hits like Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia for another). But "comics people" feel... really snobby towards manga?

I mean, look at how long it took Rumiko Takahashi to get an Eisner. And she had multiple genre-defining hits over a career spaning 4 decades. No offense to Miyazaki, but you almost expect he got his Eisner for Naussica because he's Hayao Miyazaki and He Made Naussica.

I dunno, the way manga has been ghettoed by nerd culture at large in the US bugs me.

Eh I don't think it matters honestly Japan has the largest comic book industry on the planet has it own awards .

The USA one is is tiny and slowly going extinct Japan France Italy all have bigger comic book reading audiences and the medium is more appreciated , It less about comics and more about movies here in the states and live action remakes . I use to buy US comics and half the time the comic book site are just convered in live action reboots or new live action propeties lol and any comic book mentioned are typically like 20/30 year old plotlines . The USA comic book nerd industry has it own ethnocentric clique hence manga is ignored .
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:19 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

Americans comic industry folk love manga when it helps them pad numbers for their own benefit, such as graphic novel sales as well as female readership numbers. Otherwise, it's ignored since it doesn't benefit them directly, or they love to insult it and talk down to it as a medium if they're vindictive like some comic writers are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1