• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Galaxy Express 999 Animation Director's Art Auction Angers Creator Leiji Matsumoto

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:43 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, Matsumoto gets angry over anything. Raise the price of Pocky by ¥20 and he goes off in to targets worse than I do.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:56 pm Reply with quote
So in japan if I draw a picture of r2d2 and everyone says it looks like naruto I can get copyrighted? It's easy to say that anything LOOKS LIKE something. Sounds like am easy way to troll someone.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:05 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
To be fair, Matsumoto gets angry over anything. Raise the price of Pocky by ¥20 and he goes off in to targets worse than I do.

Sounds about right. I don't know that what Kogawa is doing is even particularly uncommon or anything.
Banjo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
he should have told Leiji before selling them.. anime designs or not, they are still Leiji's characters.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I hope Kogawa's recent activity doesn't set precedence for other animators and fan artists in Japan.

Come to think of it, last time I saw his animation work was an episode of "Folktales from Japan" on Crunchyroll. He also published a how-to--draw book which is out of print several years ago and that's pretty much about it.

Although what Kogawa did is wrong, I do think that this is not-so-pretty example of being animator in Japan past retirement. Being old animator who is not hot-on-demand and industry's skewed pay rate probably forced him to find less taxing way to make a living. Plus not all old animators can become instructor in some art schools.

Also gradual loss of creative freedom makes it hard for old animators who are used to draw things more freely. What is gradual loss of freedom for animators? 2D Animation in Japan nowadays has gotten stricter as it requires animators to draw things on-model, no or little visual jokes that deviate from storyboard & layout, overly complicated drawings, and more frames to emphasize smoother movement. Of course the pay has not improved.

Although what I'm saying is conjecture, as an old animator probably living off from Japanese social security and whatever savings, I think the temptation of making money through animation characters he worked on is probably too good to resist. I don't know what Kogawa does for living nowadays, but I have a feeling that his finance was not good as the Daily Shincho pointed out that Kogawa couldn't even afford to pay for drinking party until he made the money selling his work.

Unlike Matsumoto who can rely on his royalties, Kogawa doesn't have that royalties for animation he worked on. Even if he publishes an art book that has his past drawings of Yamato, Dunbine, and 999 under his name, there is no guarantee that it's going to sell well and probably part of the book royalties will go to original copyrights holders of those titles.

It's just sad Kogawa doesn't have much option when it comes to making living past retirement.
kae kurono

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Man this is just sad & screwed up! i just learned today that Matsumoto leiji is an as*hole, he's got money but could care less for an retired animator who worked on his works ages ago, he's now old retired and makes next to no money from his past as a animator and wants to sell the art he drew a long time ago just to make a living of his past accomplishments but leiji is like nope don't care one bit. How garbage of him.

This old animator needs a gofund me, he's worked a large portion of his life drawing and doesn't get enough or gets next to nothing for retirement for it how unfair.[/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1