• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - August 12, 2019

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
So...does this mean the Shelf Life column will be..."Shelved"? (Bad pun, I know.) Or will someone else handle it in the future and will still continue?

Either way, I don't really see much (of a point) of this column as it used to be with the reviews or more importantly what the column was for...the "Shelf Obsessed" parts where I liked seeing pictures of other peoples shelves, be it either Manga, Anime, Figures, Games, anything that counted there. Without that, its just a glorified "This weeks releases, but with pictures". (Yes, I've kinda said this before in a previous Shelf Life, but just wanted to be more clear.)

If the "Shelf Obsessed" parts came back though, I'd be more than happy to see them, or rather, have its own column itself, or something like that, reworked or otherwise. But more or less, that's only a dream now, isn't it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I do like the greater coverage of manga in Shelf Life. After all, books and manga sit on the shelf too.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Publisher's Description: After years as a lonely double agent, Zeke finally returns to the good graces of his home island of Paradis. Still, the Survey Corps refuses to let him meet Eren—the other ingredient in the earth-shaking weapon—for fear the explosive duo will be impossible to control.

This is such a strange description of Attack on Titan volume 28. Spoilers for anime-onlies aside, the manga isn’t told from Zeke’s perspective, he’s *not* from Paradis and his motivations are very much ambiguous. Why is the publisher’s description sympathetic with a character most of the characters don’t trust, and readers don’t know whether to trust?[/quote]
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:59 am Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
So...does this mean the Shelf Life column will be..."Shelved"? (Bad pun, I know.) Or will someone else handle it in the future and will still continue?

Either way, I don't really see much (of a point) of this column as it used to be with the reviews or more importantly what the column was for...the "Shelf Obsessed" parts where I liked seeing pictures of other peoples shelves, be it either Manga, Anime, Figures, Games, anything that counted there. Without that, its just a glorified "This weeks releases, but with pictures". (Yes, I've kinda said this before in a previous Shelf Life, but just wanted to be more clear.)

If the "Shelf Obsessed" parts came back though, I'd be more than happy to see them, or rather, have its own column itself, or something like that, reworked or otherwise. But more or less, that's only a dream now, isn't it.

I think it alternates between people, or at least it did when it contained reviews. Either way, I think Paul's announcement would have also stated the column was ending in addition to his own departure if that were the case. Considering the current format, I imagine it would be easier than before to find someone else to handle it.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:55 am Reply with quote
I don't trust any opinions from this site. Giving me a list of releases is more then enough. If I want a review I go to YouTube or MAL.
Ones I'm getting:
Machimaho: I Messed Up and Made the Wrong Person Into a Magical Girl! - Volume 3
Komi Can't Communicate - Volume 2
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:35 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
I don't trust any opinions from this site. Giving me a list of releases is more then enough. If I want a review I go to YouTube or MAL.

Thanks for sharing.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I see Greed, but yeah, if only I can see actual shelves again...oh well. >.>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1