• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shibuya 109 Survey Reveals Hardcore Spending Habits of Young 'Wotaku' Women

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I miss the days when it was always spelled "otaku". Then Wotakoi happened.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
If you look at what they charge for merch and concerts, it's not surprising to see women spend that much. ¥150000 p/year is about ¥12500 p/month. BD/DvDs and concert tickets easily cost more than half of that, and one piece of merch costs anything from 200+ (but usually around 1,500). There are many 2nd hand goods stores too though, and I wonder if this includes in-app purchases as well? Anyway, yeah, spending habits is an interesting topic! I feel Japanese companies are very good at marketing stuff, and are always looking for ways to make more money.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:33 pm Reply with quote
10K Yen per month is too much for high schoolers.That is why the chart has two peaks.
For the me in teens, 2K was rather big.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:00 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
I miss the days when it was always spelled "otaku". Then Wotakoi happened.

Actually, the advent of the variant 'ヲタク' (a way to romanise it is 'wotaku') is earlier than 『ヲタクに恋は難しい』(Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii, Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for Otaku), which started to be posted on pixiv in 2014.
For example, in 2001, 2ch had threads such as '香港ヲタク女の裏事情,' '糞板の漫画小僧はもっとちゃんとヲタクらしく,' and '何で鉄道趣味はヲタクなのですか??'
In 1999, 2ch had a thread of which title was 'ヲタクの何が悪いっ!' 2ch's 'Murakami Ayaka' thread in 1999 had the posting 'ヲタクを相手にしてくれるから、だからヲタ君達はイジメちゃだめだよ(はぁと).' (Hiroyuki established the 2ch textboard in 1999.)
The 'Hunter × Hunter' thread on the 'shōnen manga' board of 2ch in 2001 had postings such as 'ヲタクにしか受けてないって。おれのクラスのなかで、ハンタが好きって奴はヲタクしかいねーもん。' 'ベビー級のヲタクがいますねぇ なんか質問しようかな(ドキドキ,' 'ヲタク=デブ=臭い=ウンコ=EzrtB78o,' 'んな細けーこと気にしてんじゃねーよ!ヲタクがー!' 'ヲタはキミタチだっつの(ゲタゲタ,' '車に凝ってるんだったら車ヲタ ノートに凝って集めてるんだったらヲタ ハンタに凝って単行本買ったらヲタ 世の中ヲタクだらけさ ノーベル賞とった人もヲタ,' 'お前もヲタクに入ってるな、ゲラゲラ。' 'ヲタクって自分のことをヲタクなんて絶対認めないもんだよ。客観的にヲタって言われまくってるのに。' 'はじめてこの板に来たんだが、なんて排他的なんだ。マンガヲタってみんなこうなのか?' and 'オマエもココきてる時点でヲタだよ・・・ あとは普通かヘビーかの差.'
For fans of anime and manga who do not know much about Japanese otaku-culture scene, 『ヲタクに恋は難しい』(Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii) may be the first example of the word 'ヲタク' (wotaku) which they have seen, however.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:57 am Reply with quote
While ヲタク has a pretty long history of being used, it hasn't been romanized with "wo" for the most part. Nihon-siki is a pretty uncommon romanization scheme in English (outside of some Japanese language learning), and the vast majority of Japanese speakers pronounceを / ヲ as "o," outside of occasionally when singing. (E.g. Maaya Sakamoto singing the Escaflowne OP Yakusoku wa Iranai is a case where she clearly enunciates "wo.")

A lot of the elaborate puns that the Japanese writing system enables are not typically translated.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure I was spending more than $1.5K a year just on events/concerts alone when I was living in Japan. Add in all the CDs, BDs, and merch and uh... yeah... Definitely more than that.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
shosakukan, we typically do not allow giant blocks of untranslated text here. It clutters up the posts and since this is a NA based website it is common courtesy to post translated text here. Otherwise 99% are not going to have a clue what you're even posting.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
shosakukan, we typically do not allow giant blocks of untranslated text here. It clutters up the posts and since this is a NA based website it is common courtesy to post translated text here. Otherwise 99% are not going to have a clue what you're even posting.

Well, the point is that the Japanese words 'ヲタク' and 'ヲタ' have been already used on the Japanese textboard from 1999 to 2001, rather than what the entire contents of those 2ch thread titles and postings mean in English.
If a reader of this thread is not good at Japanese to the level where he/she cannot find the Japanese words 'ヲタク' and 'ヲタ' in those quoted 2ch thread titles and postings by simple visual observation, please use the search function of the browser and search this web page with the keyword 'ヲタク' or the keyword 'ヲタ'.
If translated text has to be posted despite what the quoted Japanese 2ch thread titles and 2ch postings mean in English being not important, I will remove the Japanese examples of 'ヲタク' and 'ヲタ'.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Pretty sure I was spending more than $1.5K a year just on events/concerts alone when I was living in Japan. Add in all the CDs, BDs, and merch and uh... yeah... Definitely more than that.

$1.5K a year is pretty low. I spend at least $400 a month usually. Maybe more if all my pre-orders get fulfilled on an odd month.

(November is gonna be painful, 6 figures I pre-ordered come out that month)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1