• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fairy Tail: Final Season Anime Reveals Visuals, New Acnologia Backstory

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grasser1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I’m assuming that 40 has to be 400, right?
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Correction: it's "400 years", not "40 years".

Also, FINALLY. The most we got in the manga was, "Dragons kill people, therefore I will kill dragons, even though I am also a dragon now!" Dragon Cry's post credits scene helped shine a tiny new light on him as a sort of vigilante and defender of mankind before turning into the very kind of monster he swore to destroy drove him mad, but that only did so much for so long.

My only concerns are that it might just be an extended version of what we already know, and that there might not be enough time or space in the remaining episodes. It could only be a single scene, or it could be spaced out across several moments. I just hope this will give anime-only viewers a better look at Acnologia that we manga readers only wish we got like this in the first place.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:

Also, [b]FINALLY
. The most we got in the manga was, "Dragons kill people, therefore I will kill dragons, even though I am also a dragon now!" Dragon Cry's post credits scene helped shine a tiny new light on him as a sort of vigilante and defender of mankind before turning into the very kind of monster he swore to destroy drove him mad, but that only did so much for so long.[/b]

My only concerns are that it might just be an extended version of what we already know, and that there might not be enough time or space in the remaining episodes. It could only be a single scene, or it could be spaced out across several moments. I just hope this will give anime-only viewers a better look at Acnologia that we manga readers only wish we got like this in the first place.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it for the same reason. It has felt like there was a bit of a missing piece on his motivations. I probably wouldn't have cared too much if it were a different villain, but considering Acnologia is the big bad of the series, it seemed like a mistake not to take some time to flesh him out more.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
immblueversion wrote:

Also, [b]FINALLY
. The most we got in the manga was, "Dragons kill people, therefore I will kill dragons, even though I am also a dragon now!" Dragon Cry's post credits scene helped shine a tiny new light on him as a sort of vigilante and defender of mankind before turning into the very kind of monster he swore to destroy drove him mad, but that only did so much for so long.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it for the same reason. It has felt like there was a bit of a missing piece on his motivations. I probably wouldn't have cared too much if it were a different villain, but considering Acnologia is the big bad of the series, it seemed like a mistake not to take some time to flesh him out more.

Well, seeing as Mashima allegedly had a fuller story in his head but never found the right spot to organically work it into the narrative due to page and chapter limitations, an expansion seemed like a given. It just didn't seem likely with the way the anime was handling the final arc.

I always figured that he destroys things for the lulz because that's the only way he knows how a dragon behaves, and that it was the only way he could cope with turning into something he hated. It's not much, but it's a better reason for him to act that way than "I hate dragons so I am evil".
Catsplay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Yessss they're expanding the final battle in the Fairy Tail anime and actually giving Acnologia's backstory unlike the manga which just hinted at it. The animated version of the final arc has been such a huge improvement on the manga in terms of pacing, new content, and expanded fights (not all of them expanded but a few I appreciated). On top of the game announcement it's been a good day to be a FT fan.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I should be mad at this...but the anime has had to pick up Mashima's slack on more than one occasion so I can't say its unexpected.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1