• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested on Suspicion of Threatening Game Company Visual Art's With Arson

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:38 am Reply with quote
Oh not this again, KyoAni arson attack is becoming extremely infamous right now.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote
It isn't the ones that brag online that should be a worry as much as it is the ones that don't say anything.

Mark Gosdin
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:16 am Reply with quote
Copycats... Not even as a joke is this acceptable in any way. May those people who threaten to do these kind of things rot in jail.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:56 am Reply with quote
Like that other idiot who threatened the same thing, arrest him and throw him in the same place where they keep the mentally ill.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Arson is terrible and all, but I can't help but envy a society where the big fear is some angry man slowly pouring gasoline around a building and setting it on fire, instead of perching up on a rooftop or running around with a bunch of assault rifles and handguns.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they are taking threats seriously and are acting on them.
Fluwm wrote:
Arson is terrible and all, but I can't help but envy a society where the big fear is some angry man slowly pouring gasoline around a building and setting it on fire, instead of perching up on a rooftop or running around with a bunch of assault rifles and handguns.
I'm sorry, but are you saying the fear of getting burned alive is something to envy? Let's not compare tragedies, thanks.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm normally one to defend speech, but oi. If you value this art form in the slightest this really is not the damn time to push that boundary. I'll defend his right to say that, but pretty sure if I was within range I'd backhand that mofo.
anddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Scary trend. This is encroaching on domestic terrorism.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:14 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
I'll defend his right to say that, but pretty sure if I was within range I'd backhand that mofo.

Making violent threats is not, and has never really been, protected speech.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:51 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I'm sorry, but are you saying the fear of getting burned alive is something to envy? Let's not compare tragedies, thanks.

The sentiment is poorly expressed, but I do wish my country had had only two mass murders with double-digit death counts in the 2010s, instead of more than a dozen, and a total homicide rate of 0.2 per 100,000 instead of 5.3.

It's a very grim calculus, but there it is. God knows I don't envy them the Tsukui Yamayuri-en stabbings or the KyoAni arson, individually, but if you had to weigh our collective lots on a balance scale, I don't think it can be argued that the US and its countless mass shootings have it better.

(Apologies if this is derailing; I yield in advance to the moderators' judgment.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1