• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia Manga Tops U.S. Monthly Bookscan August List

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mocha Shiori

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Again? Not really a surprise
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The BookScan rankings collect data sales from more than 16,000 locations including Barnes & Noble and other book chains, independent bookshops, and online purchases — but not sales at comic book stores, Walmart.com, and some other venues. The rankings cover about 85% of the U.S. trade print book market.

Other than perhaps the venues that I put in bold not wanting to supply such data sales, why does BookScan not include them?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Other than perhaps the venues that I put in bold not wanting to supply such data sales, why does BookScan not include them?

BookScan is run by Nielsen, who tend to focus on providing "representative" information for corporations and Wall Street investors (i.e., not how many cans of Diet Coke people bought in 2018, but rather the ratio of Diet Coke vs. Diet Pepsi that were sold at a pre-determined selection of stores in 2018). Sources like Diamond (the company that does most of the distribution to comic book stores in the US) and Walmart.com are fairly protective of their data, and Nielsen has apparently determined that the cost to get that data wouldn't result in a sufficient enough increase in the number of people who'd consider Nielsen's representation of reality accurate enough to be worth the $5,000/year BookScan subscription fee.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1