• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sakura Wars Game Gets TV Anime in 2020

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:02 am Reply with quote
Ah you got this posted already. I was slow on the email >.<.

I'm super hyped for this. Even with CG, at least it's a company that's GOOD at it. the trailer looks pretty solid and I can never get enough Ayane Sakura
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:12 am Reply with quote
The question now is if this'll be a full-fledged anime series covering the game's story (aka Tales of Zestiria, Yu-No), or just a promotional prequel/aftergame plot or similar. Especially since Sakura's Koubu mecha shown here isn't the same as the game' version.

To my knowledge the only full-fledged adaptation of a Sakura Wars game was the 2000 anime version, which was a loose remake of the 1st game (some plot elements were changed, the spooky/serious factor increased, less emphasis on dating sim elements etc. - hearsay is the fandom of the time hated it.)

The rest were promotional OVAs whose stories were after-game spinoffs...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:10 am Reply with quote
Have any of these been any good? I saw the TV show and was bored to death. Most of the others are just short OVAs.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:53 am Reply with quote
The first two OVA series are MUCH better than the TV series.

The first two OVA series' episodes are at least 23-25 minutes long they're more like short TV series but with higher production values.

The TV series was VERY low-budget and had glacial pacing.

The original OVA had one of my favorite opening songs and is much more enjoyable.

It's sad that the only part of Sakura Wars still available in the West is that awful TV series.

They remastered the OVAs in hi-def and they've been out on Blu ray in Japan for a while. Didn't bother with them because they don't have subs or the dubs ADV and Funimation did.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:20 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
It's sad that the only part of Sakura Wars still available in the West is that awful TV series.

Sakura Wars seems like a franchise that's long deserved a do-over or a fresh start in the West. Really looks like they're doing it right this time, by committing to bringing the new game over and now with an anime.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:30 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
The first two OVA series are MUCH better than the TV series.

The first two OVA series' episodes are at least 23-25 minutes long they're more like short TV series but with higher production values.

The TV series was VERY low-budget and had glacial pacing.

The original OVA had one of my favorite opening songs and is much more enjoyable.
Thank you, I will check them out at some point.
omoikane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 am Reply with quote
As a fan of the series I rather liked the TV show, but I think New Sakura Wars TV anime is going to learn from that mistake.

The best Sakura Wars content anime-wise are probably the movie and the various OVAs.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
CAn u even watch the ovas? from what i have heard most of them are either follow ups to there respective games or spin offs using characters of those said games and unless you played you wont fully grasp them.

The TV series is the only one i recall that adapted a whole game altough the story was not exactly the best.
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:19 am Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
As a fan of the series I rather liked the TV show, but I think New Sakura Wars TV anime is going to learn from that mistake.

The best Sakura Wars content anime-wise are probably the movie and the various OVAs.

The TV series was my 1st exposure to the Sakura Wars franchise, and I enjoyed it.

It wasn't perfect by any means (slow-paced as GeorgeC put it), but I liked how the producers were willing to put a new spin on the 1st game's plot. I did like the more serious/sombre mood; the more evil, menacing demons, and the freakish biomecha Wakiji.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote
The CG does not look good on the characters, we're still not ready for full CG anime yet.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
Love the Sakura Wars anime from 2000, Can't wait for this new one.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
CAn u even watch the ovas? from what i have heard most of them are either follow ups to there respective games or spin offs using characters of those said games and unless you played you wont fully grasp them.

The TV series is the only one i recall that adapted a whole game altough the story was not exactly the best.

yea...aside from the tv series most of what i watched/enjoyed of sakura wars has a connection to the only localized video game...I bought the movie just cause it had ratchet in it Razz and I loved the New York, New York OVAs. (which has gotten harder for me too find ways too stream it for free)
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:24 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

THe OVAs are out of print in the West.
At least the original 2 OVAs have been remastered and released on Blu ray in Japan. There are postings of the theme song in hi-def and it's NEVER sounded better!
The dubs ADV did of the OVAs were competent.
The original anime series had one of the better opening intro animation/theme songs that I've seen from the 1990s.
The game series it was based off was the most successful Sega franchise on the Saturn console at the time but it was never localized for the US. It was popular enough that they had a dedicated Sakura Wars retail store for a while and did concerts with the voice actors.

ADV and Funi split the rights between them with ADV getting the first two OVA series and the TV series, Funi releasing the two next-to-last OVAs but not the final one. I've got the Funi releases and I STILL haven't seen them! Good, good memories of the first two series and I recently saw the first OVA again for the first time in many years. It's held up at least as far as I'm concerned.
I was so ticked off by the Sakura Wars TV series that I sold those in the mail to a mail vendor when they were still taking DVDs for store credit. It's one of the few anime I've done that for. The TV series was a HUGE letdown from the OVAs which were ten times better!

The Sakura Wars movie was originally released on DVD by Pioneer/Geneon in the States. Have this release, haven't seen it yet.

The movie was most recently optioned by Funimation and they released it on Blu ray/DVD combo packs. It kind of came and went without making much noise...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1