• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for Books or Magazines about the Anime Music Industry

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eriias

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:37 am Reply with quote
Hello! I believe this is my first post here. Sorry this is so long, but there's a bit of backstory to get through. I greatly appreciate anyone willing to take the time to read through and help me out!

I am a first year grad student at a music school in Japan (for privacy's sake I'll not say which given how few foreigners are in each school >.>) studying to be a composer for anime music. For my master's thesis, I intend to interview as many composers as I can and compile a sort of guide to how the job I want to do works. In other words, I intend to ask as many composers in the industry how they go from getting a request for music to that music playing alongside anime on TV, as well as how composers themselves are organized (how many are freelancers, how many form small groups, are there actual full-fledged companies that provide Anime music? etc.). It's my hope that this will not only help me have a clearer grasp of what I'm getting myself into, but to also leave the written thesis as a sort of guide to anyone who comes after me, as I've found this to be a path I've had to forge on my own as a foreigner.

(^By the way, if any of you have any knowledge of such things, PLEASE do not hesitate to share!)

Now, I feel that interviewing a bunch of people active in the field should be plenty, but my adviser insists that I must also have some sort of literature to back me up, not just field work.

That's where I need help. To put it bluntly, I'm confident in my ability to talk to composers and perform interviews in Japanese, but I suck at using the internet in Japanese, so searching for these is....painful. If anyone knows of any books or magazines that talk about the Anime industry, either in English or Japanese, specifically about the music aspect of the industry, I would be extremely grateful. And again, if anyone knows anything about the above topics please share! I'm really sort of flailing blindly in pursuit of my dream here to be honest. I love Anime Music and want to make it myself, to inspire other people the way it has inspired me, but I know next to nothing about the actual industry besides what I've learned this past semester from my two professors.

Thank you in advance for any help, info, etc!

tl;dr: Does anyone know any books or magazines that discuss the Anime Music Industry?
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
Sorry for the late reply but have you looked at:

https://japan-animemusic.com

You might also like to contact composer Kevin Penkin on twitter: https://twitter.com/kevinpenkin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1