• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man in China Apologizes for Praising Pokémon's Team Rocket Due to Possible Allusion to Hon

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
He knew exactly what he was saying, it was a joke nonetheless, the way his company forced him to apologize for it? Well, that is NOT cool, even consider how sensitive the matter is, because it would just keep adding fuel to this hot mess

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
His company forcing him to apologize is the least of his problems if he ends up on a communist party surveillance list. I have to imagine this was quite a ding to his social credit score...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:41 pm Reply with quote
And people like LeBron James want to defend the CCP? I wish not to live under a tyrannical government like the CCP, death is more preferable to CCP rule.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
His company forcing him to apologize is the least of his problems if he ends up on a communist party surveillance list. I have to imagine this was quite a ding to his social credit score...

This was the purpose of the social credit system since in the old days they would have to send this brave man to the gulags even though it would have cost them a worker. Today though the Chinese government can lower his social credit score so he can't get on the Internet, can't get a loan, can't fly on a plane, and hundred other things to make his life miserable. Also with the exception of communist party officials I would think that everyone in China is in the social credit system.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Is he... prepared for trouble?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

And can he...make it double?

But really, I hope he’s gonna be okay.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Based on his recent posts on Chinese social media, he is fine with no consequences after public apology except, of course, making your boss “mad” is never a good sign in the long run Confused The mass in the Chinese social circles sympathize him because most of them knew, the guy just want to make a joke out of it (thank god no one is blowing this out of proportion, besides the company officials)
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
death is more preferable to CCP rule.

Liberty Prime is that you? Wink

Lebron defends it because China is a major market/investor for the NBA, that's all. His personal politics or beliefs have no baring on it. People bite their tongue all the time for the sake of business. It's a heck of a lot easier for people with no personal or financial investment in an issue to be so vocal about it.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
And people like LeBron James want to defend the CCP? I wish not to live under a tyrannical government like the CCP, death is more preferable to CCP rule.

Conveniently, if you do find yourself under such a government, death is easy to arrange: just be a vocal critic of it.
DavetheUsher wrote:
Lebron defends it because China is a major market/investor for the NBA, that's all. His personal politics or beliefs have no baring on it. People bite their tongue all the time for the sake of business. It's a heck of a lot easier for people with no personal or financial investment in an issue to be so vocal about it.

Funny world we live in where people in a free capitalist democracy can't criticise a communist dictatorship because it's bad for business.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Good Lord, what are we going to do with China? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:

Funny world we live in where people in a free capitalist democracy can't criticise a communist dictatorship because it's bad for business.

He apparently supports COBRA, so...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1