• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Police Arrest Man for Modifying, Then Selling PS3s

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:12 am Reply with quote
Free my boy the console is just about a billion years old and Sony isn't even supporting the damn thing.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:29 am Reply with quote
You can easily do this by yourself with just a usb lmao.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:42 am Reply with quote
Another arrested for modding the game, that's the worst thing i'd had ever seen.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:56 am Reply with quote
Eco-fascism. Remember back in the '80s, the hack cartridges anyone could by anywhere here in the US? They were selling them on TV and in computer magazines. Japan is even more run by the dark lord corporations than America.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd tend to be on the modder's side even for new consoles, but at this point it's quite possible a number of buyers were purchasing these to replace their failed PS3 just in order to play their existing legal PS3 libraries without needing to find and swap discs (and store them in a convenient location). With the PS5 announced and no backwards compatibility on that or the PS4, the PS3 is pretty-much a dead console until they release a PS3 Mini in a decade or two.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:39 pm Reply with quote
As mentioned previously Sony has either discontinued or is in the act of no longer supporting the PS3. I don't see the big deal here.
hikura

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
It doesn’t matter if Sony doesn’t support the PS3 anymore. The point is a person was messing with a Sony IP and was profiting from it. That’s illegal. It’s fine if you don’t like it but should not be cutting anyone any slack.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:44 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
It doesn’t matter if Sony doesn’t support the PS3 anymore. The point is a person was messing with a Sony IP and was profiting from it. That’s illegal. It’s fine if you don’t like it but should not be cutting anyone any slack.

Not even for the fact that most developed countries don't have this kind of law on the books for tech modded in their country?
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:55 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Eco-fascism. Remember back in the '80s, the hack cartridges anyone could by anywhere here in the US? They were selling them on TV and in computer magazines. Japan is even more run by the dark lord corporations than America.

A lot of things in the 80s and 90s that were legal are now illegal. Big companies could make unlicensed games for old consoles without a care in the world. Laws are notoriously slow and constantly fail to keep up with fastly changing technology. Nowadays there's no way you'd be able to sell modified games and consoles in department store magazines or GameStop. Maybe a Mom & Pop store might but that's a risk on their part. Most of the ones I know don't deal with bootlegs/reproductions. It's also against most online seller's TOS to sell modified consoles and games like eBay.
hikura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:45 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
hikura wrote:

Not even for the fact that most developed countries don't have this kind of law on the books for tech modded in their country?

There's a difference between modding something for personal use and modding something then selling that item.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:03 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
There's a difference between modding something for personal use and modding something then selling that item.

Okay but here's the thing though NO OTHER COUNTRY HAS THIS KIND OF LAW ON THE BOOKS. This law even prevents the modding of game data, so yeah keep telling us how good this law looks on paper while everybody else shits on it.
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:04 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
hikura wrote:

Okay but here's the thing though NO OTHER COUNTRY HAS THIS KIND OF LAW ON THE BOOKS. This law even prevents the modding of game data, so yeah keep telling us how good this law looks on paper while everybody else shits on it.

There is a 177 countries that have trademark rights laws. My source is for this is this site http://www.inta.org/TrademarkBasics/FactSheets/Pages/InternationalTrademarkRightsFactSheet.aspx
That is just one of the laws that man is accused of breaking.So you were saying?
Again i personally don't mind if someone is modding stuff for their own personal use.Yes it illegal,But they are not proditting from it.The man in question was profitting from what he was doing,
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:08 am Reply with quote
Not the guy you’re replying to, but unless he was claiming these were official Sony-modified consoles I don’t think their trademark case against him makes any sense. Are you violating trademark by selling second-hand consoles or reselling new consoles on eBay? (No, just as eBay isn’t violating trademark law by using the trademarked term “PlayStation” in one of their listing categories.) What if you sell a second-hand Gameboy modified with a screen protector or decorative sticker? The type of modification shouldn’t have anything to do with trademark law.

He’s also not selling a knockoff product representing itself as a Sony PlayStation™. These are genuine second-hand PlayStations originally purchased from Sony.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:48 am Reply with quote
Generally speaking, there is nothing illegal about reselling a 3rd-party good--used goods stores are common worldwide, ranging from cars to books to video games to anything else.

And likewise (generally speaking) there is nothing illegal about modifying something and selling it either. If you think about it, that is what a massive number of businesses worldwide do. I am in the manufacturing business: I buy metal parts and I machine (modify) it into the shapes requested by my customers. A restaurant buys raw food and prepares (modifies) it into the dish that the customer requested. A good friend of mine has a business building special vehicles for the handicapped: he buys vans from Ford, adds a wheelchair ramp or lift, and then sells them. And so on.

What's happening here is a particularly strict interpretation of an unusually worded copyright law. This is not a typical prosecution, and it's not even possible in most countries....which is why this is newsworthy in the first place.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:55 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
But you can not run a business on other people's IP's in any shape or form.Yes i know there are other companies and people who do it but in most cases they have,are or will get into trouble for doing it.

The Walt Disney Company says hi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2