• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Anime to Catalog

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Is this the first anime that was previously only on Amazon to now stream on Crunchyroll? Most of the others seem to wind up on HiDive eventually or are still Amazon exclusives.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:24 am Reply with quote
I guess like Sentai, this was a sub-license from Crunchyroll/Funimation where the deal gave Amazon some limited time streaming exclusivity. I think this because Crunchyroll immediately had the rights to the movie and released that in limited theaters in the US. And on the blu-ray cover, https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91IS4ajpnWL._SL1500_.jpg
on the side and back you'll see: Cruchyroll + Funimation + Fuji TV (noitaminA) logos and ANN credits lists Crunchyroll and Studiopolis staff as producers for the English version

Regardless of Unato Kessen being on Netflix for foreigners, since it is on Amazon Japan:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07RFTKWV5/ and run in theaters there, I hope there is a similar non-exclusive licensing deal for the home video version
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
Will this include the dub?
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if CR could make a dub for latin america, just like they did with other shows like Free! and Konosuba, considering the movie which came on Netflix a few weeks ago had a dub made in Mexico, and a pretty good at that, but since I haven't seen the show first I didn't understand most of the story.
partially

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I guess like Sentai, this was a sub-license from Crunchyroll/Funimation where the deal gave Amazon some limited time streaming exclusivity. I think this because Crunchyroll immediately had the rights to the movie and released that in limited theaters in the US. And on the blu-ray cover, https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91IS4ajpnWL._SL1500_.jpg
on the side and back you'll see: Cruchyroll + Funimation + Fuji TV (noitaminA) logos and ANN credits lists Crunchyroll and Studiopolis staff as producers for the English version

Doubtful. The rights situation of the property sounds like a right royal mess. Amazon released it years ago and only had a subtitled version, if Crunchyroll/Funi had been involved then they literally have no reason they would want to sub-license to Amazon. Amazon would have originally negotiated their own limited streaming rights, that did not include physical release. So a true "English Version" wasn't made until the Crunchyroll/Funi partnership and they released the physical version years later.

And now there is literally a mashup of Prime Video, Crunchyroll, Netflix and Funimation all with fingers in separate bits of the pie. Because Prime still has streaming rights, obviously no longer exclusive, and they seem to have some rights over the film given the article mentions they released the film alongside Netflix in Japan.

Haven't seen a licensing situation this messy in a long time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1