• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Kemono Michi All Bark and No Bite?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimvice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
These guys wrote a pretty mean-spirited review for guys criticizing a show for being mean-spirited...
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Grimvice wrote:
These guys wrote a pretty mean-spirited review for guys criticizing a show for being mean-spirited...

ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Konosuba isn't even all that mean-spirited. The series obviously cares a lot about it's moronic group of morons, and those same morons also clearly get along really well in spite of, or arguably because of, their incessant bickering. What helps is that it almost never dwells on any of the misfortune our misfits face. Kazuma and co. are a bunch of self-absorbed idiots but it never goes so far in making them so unlikable that we *want* them to suffer, and any time they do they're able to bounce back from it pretty quickly, but a lot of their suffering is still karma for their total ineptitude and hubris.

tl;dr, Konosuba is still one of the greatest anime comedies in recent years.

I have no interest in Kemono Michi because the premise is a bit too out there for me, but if it's anything like Konosuba it clearly knows what it's doing. I'll probably check it out later.
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Ironically I found Konosuba even more boring and repetitive than Kemono michi. The latter at least benefits from the occasional element of comedic surprise and a more varied array of characters.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. With the new Konosuba movie in context it seems like the authors has some real problems with treating sexual assault and sexual features as a joke. Given the movie has 2 somewhat reprehensible scenes and this show cant seem to get past those either.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I just wish they would stop talking about how she's a half-dragon, because every time the seiyū mention it I remember Dragon Half and nobody should every remember Dragon Half.

Hey! That's an endlessly quotable beloved classic comedy you're talking about there, Nick! Razz

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Interesting. With the new Konosuba movie in context it seems like the authors has some real problems with treating sexual assault and sexual features as a joke. Given the movie has 2 somewhat reprehensible scenes and this show cant seem to get past those either.

I didn’t think that someday I would get isekai anime, which would completely revolve around a "pansexual" professional wrestler and a bunch of bestiality jokes, but it seems that Konosuba's author is literally going to collect all the “achievements” in the isekai comedy genre. I’m even afraid to imagine what their theoretical third work will be about.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Cryten wrote:

I didn’t think that someday I would get isekai anime, which would completely revolve around a "pansexual" professional wrestler and a bunch of bestiality jokes, but it seems that Konosuba's author is literally going to collect all the “achievements” in the isekai comedy genre. I’m even afraid to imagine what their theoretical third work will be about.

I think I have mentioned this too many time,s but there is an isekai comedy series about a native goblin that luck-killed some summoned heroes, so now she is high leveled and most of her jokes involve her murdering the new summoned heroes.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:01 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

I think I have mentioned this too many time,s but there is an isekai comedy series about a native goblin that luck-killed some summoned heroes, so now she is high leveled and most of her jokes involve her murdering the new summoned heroes.

I can't find it by this description - "Goblin Slayer" dominates my searches too much, could you share the name please?
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
HayamiLover wrote:

Please excuse my use of superlatives. See I like konosuba, most of the racy jokes I am all willing to have exist. I just agree that treating the sexual assault as a joke thing that anime can do is more and more disturbing as you grow.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Ultimately this show sins is simply using the same joke without building up on it. Like him being called "demon killer" and beating people up, the joke would have been way funnier if every time people tried to figure out why he got angry and constantly changing the name in way they'd think wouldn't anger him, but constantly failing because they can't understand that what he dislike is the idea that he kill monster.

So say:

NPC1: Crap he doesn't like being called demon killer
NPC2: Hum maybe it's because he doesn't like being called a killer
NPC1: Oh then how about "demon exterminator"

And then Gendo punch him. By the end of the series they could have this crazy overcomplicated nickname for him and the humor could come from how ridiculous the title are but always keeping the "demon killing" in it. But nope it's just the exact same joke every time, no real evolution. Cause you know how it is, if it was funny the first time, it'll be funny the 100th time.

Last edited by meiam on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:12 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

I can't find it by this description - "Goblin Slayer" dominates my searches too much, could you share the name please?

ah, goblin is very strong is the name of the manga.
Skyletv

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:18 am Reply with quote
So you didn't like it.
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:03 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

NPC1: Crap he doesn't like being called demon killer
NPC2: Hum maybe it's because he doesn't like being called a killer
NPC1: Oh then how about "demon exterminator"

And then Gendo punch him. By the end of the series they could have this crazy overcomplicated nickname for him and the humor could come from how ridiculous the title are but always keeping the "demon killing" in it..

That would have been great if they had actually done it.
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:36 am Reply with quote
It’s pretty unfortunate that ANN reviews nowadays rarely tell us much about other aspects of the shows under review (art, animation, ost, voice acting, directing etc) I wish we could have more of that in reviews.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3