• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sneak Preview: Kodansha Comics' 25th Anniversary Edition of CLAMP's Magic Knight Rayearth

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
It's so pretty! Very Happy I can't wait to get my own copy when it officially comes out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Surprised This collection does look impressive, and I am always for collecting art books. However, I have the omnibus collection of the series and it's sequel. Asking out of suggestion (if that is the right word to use) is it worth for me to still get this collection even though I might be double dipping?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Wow! Surprised This collection does look impressive, and I am always for collecting art books. However, I have the omnibus collection of the series and it's sequel. Asking out of suggestion (if that is the right word to use) is it worth for me to still get this collection even though I might be double dipping?

Considering it's the 25th anniversary, and that who knows when we'll see more stuff about MKR, I think you should definitely go for it. But then again, I'm just a lactic acid bacterium, so I dunno whether my opinion counts.

I wish I could get it for myself, but I don't trust the mail system in my country to deliver it safely!
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:28 pm Reply with quote
^ Well thanks for your input anyway, Lactobacillus. Smile

I would give it some more thought but I am leaning towards wanting to pick this collection up. Besides thinking about it I do like how the book covers look. I wonder if books are hard cover given how they look. If that is really the case then that is more of an incentive for me to buy this collection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Twage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
^ Well thanks for your input anyway, Lactobacillus. Smile

I would give it some more thought but I am leaning towards wanting to pick this collection up. Besides thinking about it I do like how the book covers look. I wonder if books are hard cover given how they look. If that is really the case then that is more of an incentive for me to buy this collection.

Yes, they're hardcovers.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
^ Sweet! Anime smile

Thanks for telling me, Twage.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I was planning on starting to save up from Right Stuf's impending annual holiday sale. I guess that'll happen next paycheck. Shocked
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:56 pm Reply with quote
My goodness, that's so beautiful! I just don't know if I can really afford to double-dip on the series when I'm already triple-dipping on Cardcaptor Sakura. But BOY is it tempting after seeing these pictures.

CLAMP releases always find a way to hit me right in the wallet. x.x
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:25 am Reply with quote
I love MKR and it's one of my top favorite CLAMP manga and one of my favorite magical girl series but I don't know that I would double dip for this when I already have the manga. Maybe if they re-release it in single omnibus editions like the Eternal Editions of the Sailor Moon manga but $130 is too much for me to double dip. But if you can afford it, it certainly looks very impressive
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:49 am Reply with quote
Looks amazing but I have the Omnibus books and I'm not sure about spending around $100 for the first half even if its a great improvement. I'll wait for sale if it happens. They say, "A strictly limited edition, this will be gone in a flash!" but that's such an unknown when we don't know how much are being made(right?). I've been screwed before by companies saying something is very limited so I'd pay near full price but months later they still have them in stock for a big discount. Just how limited is it really, don't be so vague.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:57 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the "Part One, Illustration Collection" is the same as the "The Art of Magic Knight Rayearth, Vol. 1" that Tokyopop released.

The Art of Magic Knight Rayearth, Vol. 1:
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Magic-Knight-Rayearth-Vol/dp/1591820111/

Magic Knight Rayearth 2, Illustrations Collection
aka, Art of Magic Knight Rayearth, The Volume 2:
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Magic-Knight-Rayearth-2/dp/159182012X/
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:43 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
They say, "A strictly limited edition, this will be gone in a flash!" but that's such an unknown when we don't know how much are being made(right?). I've been screwed before by companies saying something is very limited so I'd pay near full price but months later they still have them in stock for a big discount. Just how limited is it really, don't be so vague.
I'm not sure why a company would go through the trouble of buying the license for something only to put it out for such a limited time frame. I mean Dark Horse didn't do that with their release of MKR. It makes me feel like they're just putting out a nostalgia cash grab to make a quick buck off of rather than actually rescue licensing a title to keep it in circulation.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:16 am Reply with quote
Hopefully they will release a digital edition, after the prime hardcover sales.
Twage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:32 am Reply with quote
Kosaka wrote:
I wonder if the "Part One, Illustration Collection" is the same as the "The Art of Magic Knight Rayearth, Vol. 1" that Tokyopop released.

The Art of Magic Knight Rayearth, Vol. 1:
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Magic-Knight-Rayearth-Vol/dp/1591820111/

Magic Knight Rayearth 2, Illustrations Collection
aka, Art of Magic Knight Rayearth, The Volume 2:
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Magic-Knight-Rayearth-2/dp/159182012X/

Yes, the art book features the same illustrations as the Tokyopop ones, but we put significant effort and expense into making the art look much clearer and more color-accurate than the TP versions. I encourage you to compare them.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It makes me feel like they're just putting out a nostalgia cash grab to make a quick buck off of rather than actually rescue licensing a title to keep it in circulation.

I encourage you to have a look at the books before you dismiss them as a cash grab. We went through dozens of rounds of revisions and corrections with the localization team, licensor, and printer. These weren't quick bucks, they took a long time. They are very slow bucks. Smile
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I can’t wait to get this!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2