• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Today's Menu for the Emiya Family, Silver Spoon, Gr

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkEXE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Kill la Kill and Gurren Lagann when?
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
DarkEXE wrote:

Why do people keep saying stuff like "Dub when or Durarara when" You mean "When will both Kill la Kill and Gurren Lagann are coming to Funimation Now?" What is with the stupid word when?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a major addition and is one of the best anime series of the last decade. As someone who has watched the series and movie several times I stand by the opinion that spoiler[Homura did nothing wrong]. Also good to see Today's Menu for the Emiya Family which is a fun food based series for Fate fans.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Considering "Silver Spoon" is based off of a manga from the "Fullmetal Alchemist" manga-ka, the anime version of SS getting added to Funi for streaming is very appropriate.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Custom Apex wrote:
DarkEXE wrote:

Why do people keep saying stuff like "Dub when or Durarara when" You mean "When will both Kill la Kill and Gurren Lagann are coming to Funimation Now?" What is with the stupid word when?

Pretty common vernacular these days, friend, especially online.

So I’m a little lost in this whole thing.

-Aniplex forms Aniplex USA to release and dub Aniplex titles themselves. Takes back shows like FMA and GL from their original license holders.

-Sony buys Funimation. They already own Aniplex and Aniplex USA

-Sony announces Funimation will be the face of Anime distribution under them.

-As part of this gradual restructuring, Aniplex is giving their titles back to Funimation for streaming.

Is that right?
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:

-Aniplex forms Aniplex USA to release and dub Aniplex titles themselves. Takes back shows like FMA and GL from their original license holders.

-As part of this gradual restructuring, Aniplex is giving their titles back to Funimation for streaming.

Is that right?

Sounds about right. It makes perfect sense that they would go about putting popular anime from their various corporate branches on Funimation, which is now their main anime streaming service.

I hope this could lead to, not just more Aniplex USA titles, but also some of Sony proper's older backlog of anime releases being made more widely available. They've been involved with several great movies, Blood+, the Marvel anime series, etc.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:26 pm Reply with quote
While this is cool, all of these shows are already streaming elsewhere. I want Aniplex to stream stuff that aren't available for streaming, like the Madoka movies (used to be on Netflix but were taken down for some reason), Darker Than Black, Baccano, Shiki, Seirei, and others. Not to mention the Cells at Work dub, or dubs that have expired from Toonami and aren't available legally anywhere like Promised Neverland and SAO Alicization. The Heaven's Feel and Kizumonogatari movies would be appreciated to stream, Aniplex.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Considering "Silver Spoon" is based off of a manga from the "Fullmetal Alchemist" manga-ka, the anime version of SS getting added to Funi for streaming is very appropriate.

Here's hoping this news and the news the manga is ending correlate to a Season 3 of the anime Surprised
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
While this is cool, all of these shows are already streaming elsewhere. I want Aniplex to stream stuff that aren't available for streaming, like the Madoka movies (used to be on Netflix but were taken down for some reason), Darker Than Black, Baccano, Shiki, Seirei, and others.

You and me both, man. It kills me that Baccano isn’t streaming anywhere.
matt78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
I hope this could lead to, not just more Aniplex USA titles, but also some of Sony proper's older backlog of anime releases being made more widely available. They've been involved with several great movies, Blood+, the Marvel anime series, etc.

This is something that should have happened by now. I would love to buy a blu ray release of Blood+.

Does anyone think that Aniplex of America/Funimation will go back and dub some of the shows AOA released sub only?

I am probably the only person who wouldn't mind if Sony put some of their non anime shows such as the Real Ghostbusters, Men in Black and Jackie Chan Adventures up on FunimationNow as well. Heck if they put the Marvel anime there they might as well add their Spider-Man shows as well. I'd be willing to pay a lot of money if Funimation/Sony released the Real Ghostbusters on blu ray.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:

Does anyone think that Aniplex of America/Funimation will go back and dub some of the shows AOA released sub only?

I'm still holding out hope for a dub of irregular at magic high school. Would be nice to get a dub for season one and then coincide with a dub for season 2 when it comes out (I believe) next year.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Custom Apex wrote:

It's dumb Internet lingo that has become more popular than it had any right to be. I just don't see what it honestly hopes to accomplish as it makes those who use it sound much more stupid than they are and yet still hope to get a serious answer or response. Confused
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
Custom Apex wrote:
DarkEXE wrote:

Pretty common vernacular these days, friend, especially online.

Is that right?

Pretty much. From what I understand, Funimation licensed these shows for streaming, although it was probably at a preferential price, but otherwise yeah.

One thing that I hope comes of this is that maybe some of the titles where Aniplex declined to renew licenses will at least show up for streaming again. While I can see where, at least at the time, Aniplex wanted to bring titles under its own roof, there are several that they've done nothing with since. For example, I don't see much sense in declining to renew the license for Sekirei if there was no intention to do anything with it. I hope that some of the business changes will make it possible for Funimation to do something about that.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
My dream the Fate Heaven’s Feel Films to finally stream so I can watch them without having to pay a fortune.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
DarkEXE wrote:
You can watch them both for free on Crunchyroll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1