• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Best Pokémon Anime of All Time

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I’m unashamed to say that I still love Pokémon at age 31.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched Pokemon properly since The Johto Journeys, so I just voted for the first three.
LumRanmaYasha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Good list, I definitely agree all of those are some of the best. Though I'm personally sad that Ruby & Sapphire didn't make the cut. ^^,

Speaking of, why aren't Ruby & Sapphire, Black & White: Adventures in Unova, Origins, Generations, and Chronicles listed as options in the fan poll?
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
As good as the Johto League was, I'm not sure it can make up for the sheer amount of bad episodes the Johto arc is made up of. Really shocked to see it here.
Raiyou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Having watched all 1000+ episodes my top 3 are:

1: Pocket Monsters (Original)
2: Diamond/Pearl
3: Sun/Moon

New series is very promising so far though~!
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I guess Advanced was so forgettable it was gorgotten on the poll Surprised
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
LumRanmaYasha wrote:
Speaking of, why aren't Ruby & Sapphire, Black & White: Adventures in Unova, Origins, Generations, and Chronicles listed as options in the fan poll?

The list and poll don't really follow the actual series it looks like. There is no "Gold and Silver" Pocket Monsters series. There's just Pocket Monsters, a 274 episode series, and then Pocket Monsters Advanced Generation. Gen 1 and Gen 2 were lumped into the same anime series.

XY is easily the best series though, the best animation, art, fight choreography, plot, and characters.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I can understand if there's a limit in the polling to how many options can be included but the options feel all over the place to me.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
If you’re gonna try to aggregate all of the unnecessarily titled season fragments into their respective regional titles then it might be best to include them all.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
As good as the Johto League was, I'm not sure it can make up for the sheer amount of bad episodes the Johto arc is made up of. Really shocked to see it here.

The first series was was pretty bad if you look at it objectively. Lots of filler, bad animation where the battles were mostly still screens of Pokemon doing attacks, zero character development for the trainers and Pokemon. The series evolved a long way since those days. Sun and Moon and the new series kind of killed my interest in the anime tho. Didn't like the way it went for more comedic and episodic writing style. But I guess we all grow out of stuff eventually.
spark67

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
My vote goes to:
Advance Generations

Was colorfull, nice, Have a strong and funny Female protagonist, Haruka, the team was ok, now with special abilities, the gyms and contest were fun to watch and the pokemon have a lot of good battles and double battles. Also Ash was more mature and calm that the first two seasons but also goofy, like Sun and Moon.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I never liked Pokémon, but the only reason I voted for Sun and Moon was Litten. Loved it as a character.

Also, I'm very happy that my girl Froppy was chosen as the most popular MHA girl. Kero!
_Dog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
[quote="DavetheUsher"]
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
The first series was was pretty bad if you look at it objectively. Lots of filler, bad animation where the battles were mostly still screens of Pokemon doing attacks, zero character development for the trainers and Pokemon.

That sounds just like every Pokémon saga. The Kalos and Alola sagas were particularly offensive into deceiving their audiences into thinking otherwise. That Alola League looks to be nothing but a red herring now.

Deciding the Top 5 series of Pokémon is like deciding who's urine tastes best among seven or eight men. Callum May ought to be ashamed in supporting a show that seeks to be nothing more than a 20-minute advertisement to sell the games and merchandise, a show with zero vision for its story and characters.

I would suggest that he and every reader read my post in the link below.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4945006
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
From the article and posts it seems like there has been a world of Pokemon since the first couple of seasons. Haven't wanted to keep up with the 150+ pokemon as they have continuously been added to so haven't missed it but I'd say Indigo/Orange league shows were best. On the poll, Himiko and Mei, two of easily the most interesting girls in the show, were gypped!
LumRanmaYasha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:20 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
LumRanmaYasha wrote:

The list and poll don't really follow the actual series it looks like. There is no "Gold and Silver" Pocket Monsters series. There's just Pocket Monsters, a 274 episode series, and then Pocket Monsters Advanced Generation. Gen 1 and Gen 2 were lumped into the same anime series.

Callum is using the divisions that The Pokemon Company International has been using for the show these past few years, separating out the seasons of episodes by the generation of games they're based on. They use this branding on the official Pokemon TV app.

But my point was that Advanced Generations or Ruby & Sapphire - whatever you want to call it - isn't available as an option to vote on in the poll. At all.

It's one of my top 3 favorite Pokemon series and I'd like to vote for it.

Chronicles, Origins, and Generations are also not listed as options despite being mentioned in the article. And Black & White is weirdly separated into the dub names for seasons 14 & 15. If they want to list them that way, they should really include an option for season 16 - "Adventures in Unova" - as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3