• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: In This Corner (and Other Corners) of the World

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I loved this movie, I hope it comes out in cinema overseas. Someone should release Princess Arete in America as well, that's pretty good aside from the snail pace pacing.
Oggers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
When I read the original manga, I found the subplot of Suzu and Rin's friendship pretty interesting, especially with the reveal that spoiler[Shuusaku knew Rin and was likely one of her customers]. I can understand why they decided to cut it for the film since it was already pretty long, but I'd still like to see it animated in this new version of the movie.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I was always surprised that the Japanese could make a full-fledged amazing film from 1-2 volumes manga and at the same time cut a lot and stop the story on half of the word when it comes to the series. And then we have Cautious Hero and Haruhi, which are great 12+ episodes shows based on 1-2 volumes of LN. It is interesting how these issues are solved and what such a difference in material adaptation depends on.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I saw the original version on a plane to Japan and I didn't really know anything about the story other than that the second world war was involved, and that's how I ended up having a real sad time on a plane.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
I saw the original version on a plane to Japan and I didn't really know anything about the story other than that the second world war was involved, and that's how I ended up having a real sad time on a plane.

Same with me. My Emirates flight to Japan was unexpectedly upgraded to business class in the last minute and I could watch the movie on a really good screen and audio system. I loved the movie so much that I just rewatched it on the same flight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I already have the original version of this film but if this upgraded version gets a UK Blu-Ray release I’d still buy it to show my support. I loved the manga too. Only read two of Fumiyo Kouno’s works (the other being “Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms”) but liked them both.
Seif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
So this is the definitive version to watch? It completely supersedes the original?
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
@Oggers @Seif
This is the "Original" version of the movie, the way the director always intended to be. But the budget he got wasn't enough to animate everything including Rin, so he cut her from the movie initially and made a deal with the producers. If the movie returned their investment they would give him more money to animate the rest.
And without Rin, Suzu's arc was greatly weakened.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:06 am Reply with quote
If and when any of you visit Hiroshima, please visit Kure as well (either a local train from Hiroshima "local Hiro" Very Happy or fast ferry from Hiroshima or Matsuyama). I only had time to visit one of the museums (the Yamato museum, which had full English translations of the descriptions of the exhibits) and could have spent a full day there if not more. It provided some more context for the story in the film.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
In the end, I just didn't care for it as I couldn't stop hearing the things this reviosionist history wasn't saying. Like that spoiler blurb up there? Response: "Nanking". There was one moment that felt real, a racist outburst from Rin but the rest of it was a little too "Aren't these just the nicest people?" I don't know, nicer people would be asking more questions from their leaders.

But what I really couldn't stand was the drama bomb that wasn't THE bomb "Ha, bet you didn't see that one coming." When tens of thousands dying in an instant are not good enough for drama of your story... I don't know. Imagine if there was a smaller sinking ship in Cameron's Titanic; We're at sea and we know that boat's going to sink, we don't need subplot regarding a less important boat.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Sorry that you can't get past some things and it's keeping you from enjoying a good, relatively uncolored look at life for the Japanese civilians. I hope you and everyone learn as much as you can from as many first-hand (factual) sources as possible and come to a full understanding of all facets of what happened. I've heard revisionist history and this doesn't have the earmarks of it IMO.

Much has been said regarding Imperial Japanese aggression and the atomic bomb but for all that, there were lots of people not directly involved but impacted nonetheless that I/we've not heard about until this anime. This is their story and not intended as another treatment of history. Since the mangaka grew up in Hiroshima post-war and interviewed as many survivors and others who were around during that time as she could and the producer/director did significant detailed research as well, it serves as one look at how things were. I find that sort of info invaluable because it gets lost too easily among the bigger events (like Nanking, Philippine campaign, Midway, etc.) but is important to putting a full understanding together.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
In the end, I just didn't care for it

No problem. Nobody's perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm super glad this finally exists. I enjoyed the first release, but it really did feel truncated and the editing made it feel like connecting scenes were missing all over the place. At the time I couldn't find anyone who agreed with me, even after this was announced, but regardless, now that this is a reality, hopefully I can put that disclaimer away and just enjoy the film as it was really intended to be.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
There was one moment that felt real, a racist outburst from Rin but the rest of it was a little too "Aren't these just the nicest people?" I don't know, nicer people would be asking more questions from their leaders.

The great irony of war is that it leads groups of generally decent people to do terrible things; or for civilians, to just be mostly ignorant of what the soldiers are up to. War usually makes a society far less noble than the sum of its parts. This comes up a lot in stories about war, because it's almost always true, and it demonstrates how absurd the whole endeavor is.

I've only seen bits and pieces of this movie, but based on what you're saying about it, it sounds like a relatively standard anti-war story--not the "war is hell" variety, but the "what is it good for" type. If they instead acted like all Japanese people at the time were brainwashed homicidal maniacs, that would be revisionism... though that's more likely to show up in old propaganda videos than anything else.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:53 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I've only seen bits and pieces of this movie, but based on what you're saying about it, it sounds like a relatively standard anti-war story--not the "war is hell" variety, but the "what is it good for" type. If they instead acted like all Japanese people at the time were brainwashed homicidal maniacs, that would be revisionism... though that's more likely to show up in old propaganda videos than anything else.
It's more like a period piece than a straight up war film. The film starts in the 30s before the war, and it shows life before, during and immediately after the war. For example there are scenes where they try and make the most out of their rations by cooking the rice so it puffs up in size or adding herbs she finds on growing on the side of the road to give some flavour.

It was all painstakingly researched as well, they recreated streets, fashion and recipes from the time period. So it can also be seen as part documentary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2