• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Anime's English Dub Casts Steve Blum

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:21 am Reply with quote
man it seems like Steve Blum does more western animation then anime these days so that's nice.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:29 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
man it seems like Steve Blum does more western animation then anime these days so that's nice.

That's where the bigger money is. He's right in there with Disney/Marvel made it big for a voice actor.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:10 am Reply with quote
Damn they got the Blum in here.

If they can bring in that kind of talent I wonder who are they gonna bring in for the Pillars & the Moons.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That's where the bigger money is. He's right in there with Disney/Marvel made it big for a voice actor.
I don’t think it’s solely because of money but also because Blum is a union actor and anime dubbing tends to be non-union.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:19 am Reply with quote
Despite their issues this is why I like Aniplex dubs, they commission union dubs.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:10 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Despite their issues this is why I like Aniplex dubs, they commission union dubs.

That’s mainly because they can. Funimation and Sentai, being Texas-based, cannot legally do a union dub unless they outsource it.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote
^ Not true. FUNimation and Sentai can absolutely have SAG-AFTRA contracts, but because they’re in a Right-to-Work state, they just can’t require an actor to be union. Source: I’m a SAG-Eligible actor living in a RtW state, and have worked union plenty of times.
XaelOstigian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Part of me now wants TOM to comment on the character when it airs on the Toonami block. :3
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

So does Netflix and Viz (though a lot less in recent years in the case of the latter).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

So does Netflix and Viz (though a lot less in recent years in the case of the latter).
Ocean also used to do the most union work back when they were still dubbing anime.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:40 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I don't know who is union and who is not, but I do know a lot of the older LA VAs are, and I mostly only ever see them in Aniplex dubs.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I don't know who is union and who is not, but I do know a lot of the older LA VAs are, and I mostly only ever see them in Aniplex dubs.
Aniplex uses Bang Zoom to make dubs for their anime which is based in LA and Netflix tends to use NYAV Post which has branches in both LA and New York City and LA and NYC's dubbing scene tends to be very union friendly. Aniplex's US HQ is also in California in Santa Monica.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:22 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

The best way to find out which dub is union (aside from seeing Steve Blum, Crispin Freeman, Kari Wahlgren and I guess Troy Baker nowadays in the credits) is checking the SAG/AFTRA database because most of them are listed there (and by most I mean some are missing because of past issues with the website).

Netflix has been doing union dubs since 2018 starting with Aggretsuko and while not all of them are, they still do with some recently popping up like the recent Dragon Quest movie & the new Ghost in the Shell series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1