• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Korean Publisher Cancels Release of Little Miss P Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calico

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I definitely need more information on this. Is it because the author was misogynistic and made light of sexual harassment in their previous works, or did they criticize sexual harassment in a way that made people uncomfortable? The former is probably more likely, but still. I also hate the thought that the manga's release was stopped because of its subject matter, because periods exist and people should be able to talk about their periods without being ashamed.

Also, the linked article goes on to talk about how one department store put in a policy of letting its female employees wear a pin of the period character when they were on their period which doesn't seem like that good of an idea for various reasons.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:22 pm Reply with quote
This is one weird book. Well it can join the ranks of Roberta Gregory's 'B*tchy B*tch!" because it's right up that alley.

I got my eye on this one.
Alessa_SH1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:55 pm Reply with quote
err.. can we address it for what it is 'Menstruation' instead of the lightly word period. damn it!

this goes next to "every body poops" book also from japan. (well, i found their version a lot more hilarious!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Alessa_SH1 wrote:
err.. can we address it for what it is 'Menstruation' instead of the lightly word period. damn it!

Nobody is gonna say "I'm on my menstruation"
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:51 am Reply with quote
So the subject matter is only as sensitive as you make it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:53 am Reply with quote
I've never understood why periods, which half the population deals with/suffers from involuntarily is taboo, yet are freely allowed erection jokes and references (also affects half the population, but may or may not be involuntary).
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:20 am Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
I've never understood why periods, which half the population deals with/suffers from involuntarily is taboo, yet are freely allowed erection jokes and references (also affects half the population, but may or may not be involuntary).

I'd say they're involuntary yeah. Even if you seek one out you still don't really have control over what your body's gonna do.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:27 am Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:

I don't think that comparison really works. Erection jokes are usually about sexual arousement, so the female equivalent would be jokes about getting wet. But people rarely do this in media, because then people would cry about female sexualizaton and stuff...
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:22 am Reply with quote
Certainly curious about what's in the mangaka's past works that's controversial, but I'm glad Yen Press has already released this and no one can take it from me. It's a pretty unique, cute, and weird manga.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:

I think it's more of the fact that no one really likes the idea of talking about periods as it involves talking about the idea of involuntarily bleeding from a certain part of the body.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I think it's more of the fact that no one really likes the idea of talking about periods as it involves talking about the idea of involuntarily bleeding from a certain part of the body.

I’ve really only found this to be the case with dudes, which I always found odd, because most dudes have a sister or a female significant other or a female friend where it feels like this would just come up in conversation at least once, even if it’s just “periods suck”. I genuinely don’t get why this is such a squicky topic; for kids and teens I could understand, but grown adults? They should be able to take it in stride as just another bodily function.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:52 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I’ve really only found this to be the case with dudes, which I always found odd, because most dudes have a sister or a female significant other or a female friend where it feels like this would just come up in conversation at least once, even if it’s just “periods suck”. I genuinely don’t get why this is such a squicky topic; for kids and teens I could understand, but grown adults? They should be able to take it in stride as just another bodily function.

To be fair not many people are really down with scat or urine either. Body waste may all be natural body things, but it doesn't mean people are ever thrilled to deal with changing a catheter bag or bed pan. I'll admit I may just be a big baby though when it comes to dealing with body fluids like that though Razz I mean, conversation is one thing, but actually doing this stuff IRL is another. I've changed many diapers in my life and it's never gotten any more pleasant.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:43 am Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:

I expect it depends on who you are with and the circumstances. Some people don't want to talk of anything to do with sex and some don't want to hear discussion of any bodily function. If you are in a predominately male gathering they may not be comfortable discussing a woman's period as they simply don't understand it. Erection problems, to the contrary they are intimately familiar with. Mad Of course in many contexts neither discussion is appropriate. Shocked
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

No, it's as sensitive as everyone else makes it. And people act with deferencd and avoid topics that they see others avoid: it's not enough to not be bothered yourself, you have to know that other people aren't bothered either.

Coordination problems crop up everywhere, but they're a particular issue with social change.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:

No, it's as sensitive as everyone else makes it. And people act with deferencd and avoid topics that they see others avoid: it's not enough to not be bothered yourself, you have to know that other people aren't bothered either.

Coordination problems crop up everywhere, but they're a particular issue with social change.

Hence my statement. I was speaking to each individual of the collective personally since that collective, as you say, is what it’s about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2