• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hinamatsuri Complete Series BD & Digital

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I thought the animation for this was terrific pretty much throughout, especially on 'action' scenes. I also thought the comedy was a bit weak at times, but then I also thought the sad moments hit really well, so I ended up really liking Hinamatsuri, and Anzu in particular
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:19 pm Reply with quote
^
Opposite for me, really liked the comedy but the Anzu segment were pretty boring (I think I actually started fast forwarding them) and they grow progressively longer as the show goes on. I know a lot of people liked those, but I don't have a soft spot for kids so they just felt flat. Maybe if the entire show was based around them they could work, but they mostly just came of as "And we interrupt your program to check up on Anzu... and her life still suck, back to you Tom!".
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:21 pm Reply with quote
don't let this review dissuade you from watching this great series. The comedy and drama is perfectly balanced. This reviewer either didn't get it or wasn't paying attention.
Oggers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I remember when I watched this that the jokes were very effective when they did hit, but not all of them were. That "tongue sticking out face" mentioned in the review was funny the first few times it showed up, but it became progressively less funny after every character started using it.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I quite liked this show. It’s actually a pretty great balance between hilarious and heartfelt, and I love how there’s an overarching continuity between episodes (also Anzu and Hitomi are the best). I definitely want a Season 2, especially with spoiler[that cliffhanger and timeskip implication].

On a side note: what’s with the dub’s obsession with the word “Owie”?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:35 pm Reply with quote
It's a running gag in the show. The Japanese version has a very specific (and pretty light) way of saying "Ouch" that literally everyone in the show uses. So "Owie" was the way they localized that.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:43 pm Reply with quote
#Synaesthesia wrote:
don't let this review dissuade you from watching this great series. The comedy and drama is perfectly balanced. This reviewer either didn't get it or wasn't paying attention.

Maybe it's me but the review in no way said don't watch or buy this series. Also just because the reviewer didn't give the series high marks in every category doesn't mean they didn't get it or wasn't paying attention people have something called "tastes".
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
One of the few series that had me laughing out loud constantly. Yet, the melodramatic scenes worked very well also. The balance of humor and pathos had a Chaplin-like quality to it that hit all the right buttons for me personally. A top ten for the year, easily!
HannoX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd give the series a B+. For me almost all the jokes worked.

I didn't find the humor in Hitomi's situation(s) to be mean. Like most of the humor it was meant to be over-the-top ridiculous. Yes, she's being exploited, but part of that is her own fault because she's incapable of saying 'No.' She's also incapable of doing a bad job and is ridiculously good at doing any job the first time she steps into it. Yes, she laments her lost childhood, but she's already achieved heights of success most never do and has some high level connections.

As for Anzu's homelessness. I didn't find the older men living in the park to be creepy when they took her in and taught her how to live on the streets. They were men who had lost everything due to alcoholism and they were trying to help her from having a lost life like them. That was especially clear when they made her leave--she deserved a chance at life that they had wasted. And it was a rare mention in Japanese media about the problems of alcoholism and homelessness in Japan and how governments write people suffering from them off.

The humor and pathos together may seem like they don't go together, but life is made up of good, bad and tragedy. There are plenty of pure comedies and pure dramas out there for those who want them. What's inherently wrong about a show that has both?
micah007

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I loved this series. The humor is atypical and strange for most of the series so I can understand people not necessarily being sold from the comedy. Still I enjoyed this series enough to start reading the manga.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:13 am Reply with quote
I think Hinamatsuri is one of the best anime comedies ever made. I recommend it to anyone looking for laughs and entertainment.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:53 am Reply with quote
B-? I thought that it was one of the funniest shows in recent years.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:02 am Reply with quote
^ I fully agree. So sorry to have "missed" this until recently because the comedy is so good. Thoughtful, but hilarious when the jokes spring and the drama is heart-felt and organically incorporated into the story so doesn't seem contrived. The mix is well balanced so the comedy and drama tend to come out of the "slice of life" with only a little warning. Plus, the characters are realized subtly as well so the viewer quickly comes to know what the motivations are with relatively little said. English VA work is spot-on too. Highly recommend (can be viewed currently on Funi if you want to check it first).
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:10 am Reply with quote
I thought the show had a good mix of heart and humor and did both aspect well. To each their own. A lot of people love Lucky Star and Nichigo but for me those regularly went entire episodes with zero humor and relied on cute = funny rather than funny = funny.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:14 am Reply with quote
I immensely enjoyed this show from start to finish. I thought it was genuinely funny and had some heartfelt moments sprinkled throughout (mostly when it came to Anzu). Honestly, I thought this was some of the best work Amanda Lee and Tabitha Ray have done so far in regards to dubbing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2