• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Certain Scientific Railgun T

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Etsu (the #6 Level 5 who first appeared last episode)

Extremely wrong mix-up, lol, as Etsu is the one Level 5 we never meet, at least not in the original Index run (I don't follow NT so maybe s/he's finally introduced there?), #7 Sogiita Gunha is the one you want Wink
Stiles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:41 pm Reply with quote
There's a little bit of mistaken identity here: Shokuhou is upstaged by one Gunha Sogiita, the seventh ranked level 5, the same guy that appeared in the previous episode, and not Etsu Aihana.

The scene between Saten and Xochitl is a reference to the Liberal Arts City arc, where they met before. That arc takes place concurrently with the Orsola Aquinas arc during Index 2 and is referenced and foreshadowed a few times during Railgun S.

All that aside, I find these opening episodes to be fairly mediocre, but more or less on par with Railgun's standard. The first episode only adapted one chapter of the manga and had far too much anime original filler, opting to spend an unnecessary amount of time with Uiharu and Saten. Thankfully, the level 5 negotiation kept things interesting enough, but was otherwise a waste of at least half an episode.

The second episode feels like a decent improvement, but they're going to have to pick up the pace, as they're definitely moving just a tad too slow.

I'm pretty disappointed they decided to skip LAC, so between that and having weak filler in the premiere, this season starts on a sour note for me.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:32 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Quote:
Etsu (the #6 Level 5 who first appeared last episode)

Extremely wrong mix-up, lol, as Etsu is the one Level 5 we never meet, at least not in the original Index run (I don't follow NT so maybe s/he's finally introduced there?), #7 Sogiita Gunha is the one you want Wink

Nah, nothing in NT gives anymore information than the little bit Railgun T threw out. I guess Kamachi needed to save one big science side mystery for the 3rd series... actually, I'm not sure if that makes sense at this point but whatever.

Stiles wrote:
I'm pretty disappointed they decided to skip LAC, so between that and having weak filler in the premiere, this season starts on a sour note for me.

Me too. I really wanted to see the mid air battle animated. I'm surprised they skipped it after name dropping it in season 2 and the Xoc/Saten connection being relevant to this arc. Movie maybe? Then this season dropped references to the Russia side story, and I guess they're skipping that too.

I'm actually pretty happy with this so far though. Even the pacing seems alright. Ok, well, episode 1 was slowed down by all of the intros, but I think that is acceptable. I'd rather they take their time than end up in an Index 3 situation.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
There's a little bit of mistaken identity here: Shokuhou is upstaged by one Gunha Sogiita, the seventh ranked level 5, the same guy that appeared in the previous episode, and not Etsu Aihana.

The scene between Saten and Xochitl is a reference to the Liberal Arts City arc, where they met before. That arc takes place concurrently with the Orsola Aquinas arc during Index 2 and is referenced and foreshadowed a few times during Railgun S.

All that aside, I find these opening episodes to be fairly mediocre, but more or less on par with Railgun's standard. The first episode only adapted one chapter of the manga and had far too much anime original filler, opting to spend an unnecessary amount of time with Uiharu and Saten. Thankfully, the level 5 negotiation kept things interesting enough, but was otherwise a waste of at least half an episode.

The second episode feels like a decent improvement, but they're going to have to pick up the pace, as they're definitely moving just a tad too slow.

considering thats its one of the more popular arcs, its highly likely that their going to save liberty arts city as the final arc for this season. they probably listened to the many unhappy jp fanbase when they had the filler febri arc last and not the sisters arc as the final arc for railgun S!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:58 pm Reply with quote
^ That'd be absolutely stupid as it takes place before in the timeline. I do think Nagai can take very stupid decisions when it comes to Railgun's adaptation - such as pretty much all of the filler arcs and Kongou's character getting butchered - but even I don't think he'd screw up that bad.

Anyway the two episodes were fine. First unfortunately did not retcon Kongou's stupid anime-only character as her first appearance is here in this arc, but using the Level 5 introductions served really well. Second episode had fun animation, all right comedy and good setup for the future too.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
The scene between Saten and Xochitl is a reference to the Liberal Arts City arc, where they met before. That arc takes place concurrently with the Orsola Aquinas arc during Index 2 and is referenced and foreshadowed a few times during Railgun S. . .

Since I haven't read the manga, this confused me a lot, as I felt than Saten saying she thought she recognized Xochitl was referring to something but I couldn't place where in the anime content that would have happened. Same for the Russia reference in the first episode.

Yeah, from what you guys are saying about LAC, it does seem odd that the anime did not start the season adapting it.

Oh, and I'll get the error about the #6 vs. #7 Level 5 corrected. I'm trying to be meticulous about my research on this stuff (both this review and the Preview Guide take considerably longer than normal to write up because of that), but details will slip through from time to time because of how ridiculously voluminous the active cast is.

Last edited by Key on Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:39 am Reply with quote
I'm a fan of Railgun, though basically just on the strength of Season 1 and the Sisters arc. The rest of the show has been very hit or miss for me, and though I've watched most of Index and Accelerator, I ultimately found them so confusing and the characters less interesting, so I don't really remember much about them other than where they crossed over with Railgun stuff.

Most of episode 2 did feel like a waste of time for me, though it is nice to see the girls back in action. Saten is definitely my favorite, so I feel like any time she is on screen it's fine by me. All of the details about characters from other arcs and where they fit in the timeline or whatever passed me completely by, but since I'm just here for the 4 girls then it shouldn't be a problem unless it comes back later and prevents me from understanding what's going on.
micah007

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:32 am Reply with quote
I am glad to have this series back. I primarily hope the third season can maintain consistent animation and art, especially since Accelerator and Index III unfortunately fell apart in those aspects. Despite that this franchise is always enjoyable to me since it actually feels like a living universe and sometimes I'm amazed with the amount of detail within it.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:47 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Stiles wrote:
The scene between Saten and Xochitl is a reference to the Liberal Arts City arc, where they met before. That arc takes place concurrently with the Orsola Aquinas arc during Index 2 and is referenced and foreshadowed a few times during Railgun S. . .

Since I haven't read the manga, this confused me a lot, as I felt than Saten saying she thought she recognized Xochitl was referring to something but I couldn't place where in the anime content that would have happened. Same for the Russia reference in the first episode.

Yeah, from what you guys are saying about LAC, it does seem odd that the anime did not start the season adapting i.

The thing about this is both the LAC and Russia side story were not adapted in the Railgun manga (which went right from the sisters arc to the daihasei festival with only a special chapter and a 2 chapter introduction for Kongo between them) and were instead light novel bonuses for the anime. LAC came at a chapter by chapter basis with the Limited Edition version of each volume of the first season of Index. And the Russia side story doing the same just with Index season 2. I cant think of a reason they did not adapt the LAC after setting it up in season 2 besides maybe they only wanted to adapt the material that people could easily buy such as the railgun manga or maybe theirs a right issue with those Light novels being bonuses.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:

Saten is definitely my favorite, so I feel like any time she is on screen it's fine by me.

She is also my favorite and I hope hse has some kind of skill or explanation that makes all the rumours she talks about become true.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:18 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
steelmirror wrote:

Saten is definitely my favorite, so I feel like any time she is on screen it's fine by me.

She is also my favorite and I hope hse has some kind of skill or explanation that makes all the rumours she talks about become true.
She's obviously Academy City's Batman, no superpowers but the world's greatest (sketchy online urban legend message board) detective.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:27 pm Reply with quote
well, late to the party of sorts

But i do admit, without Touma in the mix, i find the Index universe to be more fun. I like Saten, Uriharu, Misaka, the clones and what not.

It's also really fun to see creative applications of powers like Air current induction and magnetism
Stiles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:16 pm Reply with quote
The third episode was good, probably the best thus far, as the plot starts to move and they spend less time with filler. This should ramp up pretty well so long as they keep Misaka's friends' appearances to the minimum necessary for the plot.

The balloon hunter event was fun to watch and they did a great job with #10032, with a good callback to the SIster's Arc. I really don't think shock-locked Misaka would've done even half as well in the same situation, but then again I'm probably not giving her enough credit.

It's worth pointing out that the scene with Misuzu and Mikoto is the same lunch scene that continues on from Index 2, they just very cleverly edited out the Kamijou's and Index at the table across from them.

It was especially great seeing Touma and Misaki together for the 'first' time. For anybody interested, the relevant NT novel that focuses on Misaki's back story sold out the day after this episode aired, the very same one that this encounter only vaguely hints at. It's pretty crazy how popular Shokuhou is in spite of having so little screen time.

What could Baba (MEMBER) be up to? More importantly, what will happen now that Misaki and Keitz have stumbled across #10032?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Ep 3 Review wrote:
I have seen indicators from side novels that Touma has not only met Misaki before (prior to the anime content's timeline) but also helped her greatly.

It is actually a main story novel in NT. The entire thing is pretty much just backstory for Misaki. IIRC the manga makes a very brief comment about Misaki and Touma later on so they may still at least explain what Misaki knows about Touma.

Stiles wrote:
The balloon hunter event was fun to watch and they did a great job with #10032, with a good callback to the SIster's Arc. I really don't think shock-locked Misaka would've done even half as well in the same situation, but then again I'm probably not giving her enough credit.

I think she could have won easily. I don't know that she would have because she typically holds back most of her strength. Her electromagnetism on its own is insanely powerful compared to level 4s and down (also what she uses for her signature railgun). Now sure in an attempt to mimic the Sister's hand to hand, Mikoto probably would fair worse. One thing to keep in mind though is that Mikoto can deal with attacks from a person moving faster than the speed of sound. I really doubt she couldn't dodge those guys if she was completely serious.
Stiles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:14 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
One thing to keep in mind though is that Mikoto can deal with attacks from a person moving faster than the speed of sound. I really doubt she couldn't dodge those guys if she was completely serious.

That's a bit of a spoiler, don't you think? Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14