• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Dregs of Dragon Ball

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd be totally down for another throwback like Sonic Mania or an enhanced re-release of Sonic 3 & Knuckles

My answer will still be the same as always: One giant collection featuring the Retro Engine remakes of Sonic 1, 2, & CD, plus brand new Retro Engine remakes of Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) & Knuckles' Chaotix. Hell, even toss in Sonic 3D Blast: Director's Cut, for completeness' sake, even though it wouldn't be a Retro Engine product.

Yes, this would mean that the Switch, in particular, would have two different versions of Sonic 1 & 2 (M2's Sega Ages versions & the Retro Engine remakes), but it's not like the Switch doesn't already have multiple versions & releases of other older games. Also, it's downright criminal that the only "home console" version of those Sonic 1 & 2 remakes are on the Amazon Fire Stick/Box marketplace, and that needs to get rectified.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I am probably the only person on the planet who will defend Dragon Ball: Final Bout.

At the risk of sounding elitist, people believe the game to be bad because they don’t know how to play it. When you know combos, the beam struggle mechanics, and Meteor Smashes, the game can actually be quite fluid and a surprisingly faithful recreation of Dragon Ball fights on PS1. Plus, the Build Up Mode was unique for the time. You could power up your character based on what moves you used the most, and then save that to a memory card to battle your friends’ powered up character/s.

The game does give a bad first impression, but if you dig into what you can actually do in the game, I think there is a lot of charm to be found around its rough edges. And that includes the laughable dub. I proudly still own my re-release copy.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What do you all think will be announced? I know lots of folks want a new Sonic Adventure-style game, but I'd be totally down for another throwback like Sonic Mania or an enhanced re-release of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Maybe they can poach a few folks from the smoking crater of BioWare to finish up that cliffhanger ending of Sonic Chronicles! …Or not.

Save the new disappointment for next gen, right now I would rather hope for a collection with their good games and on physical discs.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking of Arc System Works

Also that Kunio-kun gets a four-day spirit board event this weekend in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Personally, I'm hoping the River City Girls get added in the next season of DLC, though that seems like a real reach.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
I'd be totally down for another throwback like Sonic Mania or an enhanced re-release of Sonic 3 & Knuckles

My answer will still be the same as always: One giant collection featuring the Retro Engine remakes of Sonic 1, 2, & CD, plus brand new Retro Engine remakes of Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) & Knuckles' Chaotix. Hell, even toss in Sonic 3D Blast: Director's Cut, for completeness' sake, even though it wouldn't be a Retro Engine product.

If something like that ever got announced I'd be pre-ordering day 1. Sonic 3 remains my favorite titles in the franchise.
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Infinite World wasn't THAT bad. I mean, this article chose to include that over the disasters that were Taiketsu, Legacy of Goku 1 and Sagas (all of them from western developers, curiously enough). It came out about 2 or 3 years too late and the single player had some serious problems like the broken difficulty settings and bad minigames, but the core game IS still pretty good even if 90% of it was borrowed from Budokai 3. They at least got rid of stuff like Dragon Rush, each transformation taking a capsule slot, and swapped out meh characters like Uub and the Supreme Kai for dudes like Janemba and Super 17.

Dragon Ball Evolution is just an reskin of Shin Budokai. Off-putting in that regard, but not that bad either.

Quote:
But even among Kinect games, Dragon Ball Z for Kinect is a special kind of awful. This first-person-perspective combat game features visuals that I strongly suspect were recycled from other, better Dragon Ball games

Ultimate Tenkaichi to be exact, which wasn't too much better either.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyway, this is a direct arcade port, so you're getting the exact same game that Japanese arcadegoers have been enjoying. Hooray! Just… try to forget that Bamco has already announced a new Gundam VS arcade game for later this year and your purchase will soon be outdated compared to what Japan's enjoying.

This is an error. The Japanese arcadegoers have been playing Extreme VS 2. That is a sequel to Extreme VS Maxi Boost On. They did also announce a sequel to Extreme VS 2, but that new announcement would be 2 versions ahead of the game they're porting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1