• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Castlevania Animated Show's 3rd Season Premieres on March 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Time to crack some whips
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Is it confirmed that Warren Ellis wrote season 3?
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:25 am Reply with quote
Alright, back again with our not-anime anime. I didn't think I could get into this series but Trevor's character really does it for me, and the choreographing for fights are entertaining to look at.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I just finished this recently and while enjoyable I can't say that I would be going out of my way to watch a 3rd season.

It almost seems like the story has been told at this point, There are some loose threads, but without posting spoilers those threads alone aren't strong enough to merit a 3rd season.

Edit.. just curious does anyone else think this series very heavily borrowed from the vampire hunter D series and novels? That is the jist I took away from it.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I just finished this recently and while enjoyable I can't say that I would be going out of my way to watch a 3rd season.

It almost seems like the story has been told at this point, There are some loose threads, but without posting spoilers those threads alone aren't strong enough to merit a 3rd season.

Edit.. just curious does anyone else think this series very heavily borrowed from the vampire hunter D series and novels? That is the jist I took away from it.

I don't disagree that the first two seasons told what could almost have been it's own standalone story, but being familiar with the video games I know that there's dozens of entries of material that they can continue reworking to fit into the TV continuity.

If I'm not mistaken, the producers have even stated their intention to continue inching through the entire franchise as long as Netflix keeps green-lighting more seasons.

It was clear in Season 2 that they were setting up at least some variation on the events of Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, which is set shortly after the events of Castlevania 3, and features Hector and Isaac quite prominently. However, that's all the game material from the "Trevor era", but they could easily end Season 3 with a teaser or a straight-up time-skip to one of the subsequent protagonists and continue on from there in a 4th Season.

And yeah, I do feel like the visuals remind me of VHD. Although I think that's more of the style of the later games skewing towards a vaguely Amano-esque look, and the TV show just staying true to the games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1