• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Jeepers Creepers, Cagaster's Got Some Peepers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Is there really some pent up demand for mediocre to terrible 3DCG anime that Netflix is bent on satisfying? There are some exceptions (BEASTARS on Netflix later this year certainly is), but they've generally been crap.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Is there really some pent up demand for mediocre to terrible 3DCG anime that Netflix is bent on satisfying? There are some exceptions (BEASTARS on Netflix later this year certainly is), but they've generally been crap.

In addition to Orange's excellent work on Land of the Lustrous and Beastars, I'll say Drifting Dragons is Polygon Pictures' best-looking show yet, with very expressive characters that at times made me forget I wasn't watching hand-drawn animation.

Cagaster, on the other hand, is just the kind of show that gives cel-shaded CG animation a bad name. Koichi Chigira directed some of Gonzo's better shows, but even his talent couldn't overcome the horribly amateurish quality of Studio KAI's CG. From the characters' facial expressions to the black lines that are supposed to give them texture, nothing in this show looks right.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:05 pm Reply with quote
So grateful to read this article as it’s saved me the time and effort of watching this show by confirming my suspicion that as I’d expected it’s not that good.
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:

Don’t forget the GitS rubbish that looks like a mid 2000s vidya cutscene...
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:29 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:

It's not just shitty CGI, it's shitty CGI about nihilist edgelord psychoes who are unfairly put upon by bad guys with no coherent motivation beyond impeding yr purported "hero", all mixed together with no real thematic consistency and marinated in bigoted stereotypes most notably misogyny.

There's a certain consistency in the way it's all bad, is what I'm saying. A definite niche targeting... but what a niche, ay?
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:51 pm Reply with quote
And that screen cap of the Portuguese-to-English made my day. Thank you, Nick.

Anyways, I guess I'll be jumping this one. Too little time to waste on crap.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:49 am Reply with quote
Steve, Nick please don't...don't make me want to watch this...I can't stop...I'm going to Watch~~~As you can tell, another brilliant commentary IMO. As for bug eyes, check out the French "art" movie Fantastic Planet (1973), must have been the inspiration...Yes, Plunderers should just do as you suggest and DIE...
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:02 pm Reply with quote
That first panel there would definitely be Danbooru but not Safebooru, IYKWIM.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote
Is it me, or does that bug look like a cross between a giant insect from Nasicaa, and the Cookie Monster? Also that first screen shot looks like they pasted a pair of animeballoonboobies on it. Laughing
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:30 pm Reply with quote
"I am just desperate to know why we're getting all these giant insect shows all of sudden."

Perhaps there's a...

[sunglasses]

...BUG IN THEIR SYSTEM?

B)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1