• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Top 5 Magical Girl Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Symphogear, really? No, I do not want to say that this is a bad show. But there are obviously plenty of good Mahou-shoujo shows in the Jaoan, so you don't need to fill the space with the near-science fiction action moe. Seriously, I don’t understand why suddenly it became so popular to call any fantasy female all-female action show "magic girls".
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:30 pm Reply with quote
While the best magical girl to me is both Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon, the truly best one would have to be one where it displays its yuri content unapologetically unlike many shows throughout its history.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Symphogear, really? No, I do not want to say that this is a bad show. But there are obviously plenty of good Mahou-shoujo shows in the Jaoan, so you don't need to fill the space with the near-science fiction action moe. Seriously, I don’t understand why suddenly it became so popular to call any fantasy female all-female action show "magic girls".

Aside from the obvious Magical Girl influenced Trasnforming sequences, similarities to Nanoha but with punching instead of beams, and having various cast members that worked on Magical girls beforehand?

Of course it is.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I gotta be that guy: Flip Flappers, which I like and own, feels more like a "jump in and out of another world" show. And Princess Tutu, which I almost adore, is kind of its own thing, in my humble opinion.

Added Nurse Witch Komugi R, which is much milder than the original. The original is one of my picks, but I do think it has a lot of just mean characters in its parody. R only has a couple jerks who are just background characters; mainly the producer who wanted some wardrobe malfunctions on tv.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Akazukin Chacha is not one many have heard of, but one of my top faves that didn't make it on the list~
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I am kinda sad that no one seems to remember Yūki Yuna is a Hero. That show and its spin-offs have some great writing and characterizations for the Mahou Shoujo genre, not
To mention how delicate they handle characters with disabilities.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm simply amazed Black Lagoon won the last poll. Pleasantly surprised as I did vote for it.
spegasaur

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing Tanya von Degurechaff doesn't count as a magical girl?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I'm simply amazed Black Lagoon won the last poll. Pleasantly surprised as I did vote for it.

Don't know why you'd be surprised. That one would adapt better to live-action than most and it was highly popular.

spegasaur wrote:
I'm guessing Tanya von Degurechaff doesn't count as a magical girl?

Not by any stretch. Among girls who uses magic, she is the antithesis of a magical girl.

While I have a hard time arguing against any of the titles chosen (except Symphogear, which I've heard great things about but am not personally familiar with), any such list that I made would have to include both Princess Tutu and Yuki Yuna is a Hero. Neither were influential in the way most of the titles on this list are, but the former is, in my opinion, the best of the more classically-styled magical girl series and the latter is the cream of the crop of the Madoka follow-ups in both technical merits and storytelling/characterizations. (I'd even argue that it's better than Madoka, especially its first season.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Akazukin Chacha is not one many have heard of, but one of my top faves that didn't make it on the list~

Chacha is so good! It's sort of weird in its magical girl-ness, the first time she transforms it feels so unexpected because it was just setting itself up as a cute fantasy before that.

I also added Pretear to the list because it's a series that has stayed with me a long time.

I'm glad someone added Fancy Lala.

Also, I've never seen Kyubey spelled as "Kyube"

Last edited by harminia on Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:10 pm Reply with quote
My favorite magical girl anime is Fancy Lala. It just has so much heart for a series with a deceptively simple premise, and it is criminally underrated. I have all the DVDs and even bought a few obscure figurines of it! I wish someone would license rescue it, though. The DVDs are cheap but out of print, though they can be found easily on Ebay.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:23 pm Reply with quote
No Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya? Granted I know it's more of an actual Fate series then magical girl series but it would have been cool to see a mention.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
No Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya? Granted I know it's more of an actual Fate series then magical girl series but it would have been cool to see a mention.

Oh, it definitely qualifies as a magical girl series, just one keyed to the Fate universe. It's one of the better action-oriented ones (even though I could do without the loli elements) and I'd easily put it in my Top 10. However, it's not influential like most of the titles mentioned on the list are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:50 pm Reply with quote
It would take something really special for a magical girl series to take #1 over Madoka on my list.

But that hasn’t happened nor do I anticipate it happening anytime soon.

1. Madoka Magica
2. Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero
3. Symphogear
4. Cardcaptor Sakura
5. Sailor Moon

It’s not really top tier but Magical Girl Raising Project deserves a shout out as well for its creative character designs and synergy.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:37 pm Reply with quote
A really solid list. I think a lot of these entries are really hard to argue against (Madoka, Sakura, Sailor Moon), but I'm thrilled to see Symphogear make it on. It may not pack the thematic punch of most of the other series on the list, but no other anime puts a big dumb smile on my face quite as well as Symphogear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4