• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What? Mewtwo is Evolving!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I was arround 6 when the First Movie came out, and still remeber all the hype surrounding it, I have to admit that I find this remake quite decent, I mean it still has the same flaws as the original, but is practically the same story but now the script is more faithful to the original Japanese. The animation is the biggest downgrade though, the original had some very impressive shots, but the the new animation is kind of weird and some design choices are not as good as the original, like Mewtwo's new armor.
I saw the neutral spanish dub and luckily almost all of the original voices came back, though I wish they could have brought Ash's original voice actor. There were some amusing additions in the dub, like James mentioning that they're not vikings like in the original and they also let the actors do some ad-libbing which hasn't been done in the dub for years, and weirdly enough Brock made a reference to rice balls instead of donuts. They also fixed a mistake from the original movie dub in which the character of Corey was referred as Gary Oak (they even gave him Gary's voice actor), but now he is voiced by Ash's third voice actor funnily enough.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:47 pm Reply with quote
To my understanding this movie's dub is much closer to the Japanese version, which is a little amusing because most people who are more familiar with the Japanese version are more fond of this dub, while most people who familiar with the original dub are bummed about the lines/music that were replaced. Script wise I mostly do prefer the 4Kids version script, I watched both recently and think overall the animation was more exciting and cinematic than the original, especially as it was their first movie outing at the time. So they both have their strong points and are worth watching.

Though I have to hand it to Sarah Natochenny, this is the movie where I would expect to miss Veronica Taylor the most as Ash, but Sarah really knocked it out of the park with this one and it might very well be her best take on the character, so good on her!
Generations

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Hot take, but I definitely preferred the 4Kids edit of the movie (speaking of only the original movie in both cases). I liked having the 'dead little girl' plot removed, I always thought that was a cheap sympathy pull for the audience. I much preferred how Mewtwo was just a confused newborn creation who was being manipulated by his creators trying to find his place in life WITHOUT having that unnecessary subplot.

And yeah, that Minnesota joke. High art joke.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:31 pm Reply with quote
The new dub is superior simply due to the translation being accurate.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
but it's a lot easier to see what's happening in Evolution.

Don't you mean that it's a lot harder to see what's happening in Evolution?

I remember when this movie first came to Taiwan. I was four or five and my dad did filming for commercials and, knowing how much I liked Pokemon, he somehow recorded a copy on VCR (Japanese with Chinese subtitles) and gifted it to me. I, of course, couldn't read Chinese at all at the time, so I watched it not knowing what the movie was about at all. I later watched it with the 4kids English dub when I moved to America, but I still have fond memories of that super grainy bootleg VCR copy my dad made.

I'll probably watch this remake out of morbid curiosity one of these days, but I already have a feeling about how it'll fare compared to my rose-colored nostalgia.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:13 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
Hot take, but I definitely preferred the 4Kids edit of the movie (speaking of only the original movie in both cases). I liked having the 'dead little girl' plot removed, I always thought that was a cheap sympathy pull for the audience.

Ash getting turned to stone wasn't cheap sympathy pull even when you knew they were going to do some weird shit to turn him back to normal?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:08 am Reply with quote
I missed the original opening with the cloned girl and her clone Pokémon to keep her company. It made Mewtwo a much more tragic character than the Evolution Mewtwo was. I felt sympathy for that Mewtwo when he attacked the scientists. I didn’t feel much sympathy for this Evolution Mewtwo without that intro.

Even without the 4kids dub and the memories attached to that, I liked the original more over the CG. Maybe it was because I thought the characters and their expressions were more natural than the clunky version the CG version was. It felt that too much manpower was dedicated to making it all sparkly with Charizard’s clone battle and Mewtwo’s attacks.

I watched the Japanese version with English subtitles and it felt like they just used the dub script for the subtitles instead of actually translating it. I can deal with using the dub names but the puns that were in the subs weren’t being reflected in what was being said on the screen.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
The new dub is superior simply due to the translation being accurate.

No translation is truly perfectly accurate, because most words in any language have no perfect match in another, given the complexities of connotations and alternate meanings and word-associations and on and on, and that's not even getting into sentence structure and normal-sounding speech patterns and... yeah.

Professional translators like to say that translations are always "wrong" and getting a good result requires creativity. Especially for song lyrics. Like, I assume "'Cause training them is my cost" is more literally close to the original, but it sounds awful; what does that even mean? My cost for what? And it's got too many syllables. "To train them is my cause" both sounds and rhymes better, and fits the theme of the song.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:12 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Professional translators like to say that translations are always "wrong" and getting a good result requires creativity. Especially for song lyrics. Like, I assume "'Cause training them is my cost" is more literally close to the original, but it sounds awful; what does that even mean? My cost for what? And it's got too many syllables. "To train them is my cause" both sounds and rhymes better, and fits the theme of the song.

Nah, that's just Netflix's closed caption's being wrong. "To train them is my cause" is the dub lyric. The original lyric has no line similar to that, it was about looking under schoolgirls skirts to find Pokemon. The "subs" on Netflix are just closed captions going off the dub script, not an actual translation of the Japanese script. Dubtitles, as they are often called.
draxdrilox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:07 am Reply with quote
¨ And thank god they've never done anything weird like have Pikachu speak actual human language in a movie or anything¨

So they don´t remember the ¨ I Choose You!¨ Movie from 2017? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:05 am Reply with quote
Murder,She wrote:

When Pokemon: The First Movie was released in the U.S. it pulled in US$10 million on it's opening day; a WEDNESDAY, if you can believe it

IIRC, that's because of the limited edition Pokemon card they're giving away the first week, making kids drag their parents to the theaters

After the first week, its box office revenues dropped like a rock. That's why despite that phenomenal start, it still didn't even hit $100 million
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1