• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Eiichiro Oda and Nobuhiro Watasuki Interview Included in Rurouni Kenshin Exhibition Catalo

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Spelling mistake found: It's Watsuki, not Watasuki.
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if there will be some kind of apology from Watsuki's part regarding what he did. I don't think that is enough, but at least I'd like to know if he is really ashamed about it. Being RK one of my favorite series ever, I can't go on supporting his work. He fulfilled the punishment that Japanese laws state is enough for CP (200,000 yen), yeah, a joke, but that's how the country works, and though the man is clearly sick, I guess it's unlikely that he will stop his work and take some time to receive the help that he needs, so at the very least I'd like to read some words of repentance.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:09 pm Reply with quote
#836735 wrote:
I wonder if there will be some kind of apology from Watsuki's part regarding what he did. I don't think that is enough, but at least I'd like to know if he is really ashamed about it. Being RK one of my favorite series ever, I can't go on supporting his work. He fulfilled the punishment that Japanese laws state is enough for CP (200,000 yen), yeah, a joke, but that's how the country works, and though the man is clearly sick, I guess it's unlikely that he will stop his work and take some time to receive the help that he needs, so at the very least I'd like to read some words of repentance.

I wonder that too. Maybe any talks about the CP he had. RK is a manga I really adore but the fact that he only saying sorry about his troubles instead of truly looking at what it was. Part of me thinks he didn't regret that he looked it up..... Hope I am wrong.
Halko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Bringing up his legal troubles that have since been dealt with would just be in poor taste in any interview for the most part so i seriously doubt it will be addressed. As far as the law and they are concerned its a closed case and has been dealt with. Our views on if it is over is of no concern to them. Charges were brought and handed out so its all water under the bridge as far as they are concerned.
ebronstein

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
So no hope of an apology? The interviewer just dances around the giant elephant in the room? Not that Watsuki saying sorry would even matter. Confused
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
Bringing up his legal troubles that have since been dealt with would just be in poor taste in any interview for the most part so i seriously doubt it will be addressed. As far as the law and they are concerned its a closed case and has been dealt with. Our views on if it is over is of no concern to them. Charges were brought and handed out so its all water under the bridge as far as they are concerned.

Sadly, I know that, their view about the issue is vastly different from ours. To them being caught with CP must be like being caught with marijuana or heroin (in fact, in Japan that's worse than CP possession) so I know that probably they will not address it. I know as well that they don't care if fans outside Japan stop buying his stuff as long as it sells well there, I just wanted to express my opinion since RK has been one of favorite series for a long time and yet, I can't enjoy it the same way after all this, I can separate the author from his work only to a certain extent, and seeing that he's still publishing his work carelessly as if it wasn't the big deal and not showing the slightest sign of repentance to date (directly from him, not the statement given by Shueisha), I can't avoid feeling disgust for him.

Last edited by ZetMoon80 on Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:04 pm Reply with quote
After what happened I'm not sure if I can look at Rurouni Kenshin the way I did before.
People say "it doesn't matter who writes/draws the story until it's good", but for me no, it DOES matter. For example if I'm reading "be a good person" story written by killer and rapist, I will still feel pretty disgusted. I believe in forgiveness but I haven't seen any remorse so far, to me it looks more like "oof, it was close! Now it's alright". It's children, like, real people and not drawn loli stuff... It makes me sick and angry, I'm sorry.

If I was Oda I would have tried to distance myself from such person as far as possible. Too bad it's his friend.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:47 pm Reply with quote
So excited! I hope it won't be cancelled due to corona virus. I'm ready to splurge through my shopping proxy.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:28 am Reply with quote
Oh, is this why I saw people trying to cancel Oda a few days ago? Laughing
Emanisbetter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:54 am Reply with quote
So as a huge ruroken fan I would great appreciate it if the site would stop posting the author's transgression within every article relating to the series. I get it, but if your staff really feels so strongly about the issue then please by all means stop posting about the series completely. To constantly feel the need to remind of the fan base of his transgression is hateful (warranted because of the action maybe) but nonetheless not needed. His punishment was carried out an there is nothing for people to do but to just move on an choose to handle it how they best see fit. But to constantly remind fans who attempt to stay up to date like myself an who desire to enjoy the series do not need it constantly blasted in our faces what the creator of our favorite shonen did. Not saying everyone should forgive him or that what he did wasnt serious. Do what you want react how you want but stop demonizing people who still support this series. An I'm calling out actions like this cause it contributes to the demonization of people like me. This does not help anyone. We are a couple years removed from the incident an it has now been resolved. Before anyone tries to say you wouldnt have the same energy if it wasnt your favorite, well I do. I am the same way with Michael jackson, xxxtentacion, the actor from baby driver, the situation with bill Cosby, mike Vick an the list of examples go on an on. Us ruroken fans are not dependent on this site for news from the series anymore. Now obviously you are going to do what you want an that's fine. This is just a request on my end. To continue to push this narrative when it has been resolved is putting forth negativity for no reason. Most who care about the franchise know of the situation an will be informed at some point. You arent following some righteous social upstanding by constantly including this incident rather you are attempting to make it harder for supporters to support. Now not so much me I'm more concerned with the negative energy it gives people license to antagonize people like me. Now as for oda being cancelled for an interview with his friend... that's ridiculous. An to those who if they were in his situation an would completely dissacosiate with him are honestly not loyal people I'd want in my life. People make mistakes some more sever than others but if it were my friend an they spoke to me in private about how they genuinely are trying to improve themselves then I would move on an continue that relationship, maybe not to the level we once were but to disappear when the chips are down is saddening. Now as a huge ruroken fan I hope this interview contains some hints as for what's to come in hokkaido as it has been pretty good. An also when we can expect the next volume. Maybe a potential anime remake.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:06 am Reply with quote
I wish we lived in a world where people cared more about the real world people Watsuki hurt than a cartoon they watched 20 years ago.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:24 am Reply with quote
Halko wrote:

Yeah, no. I saw no acceptance of needing long term help with his problem which he admits to in deposition: being attracted sexually to real life preteen kids. Sorry, but Jump fans have a right to keep bringing it up. Hopefully, voices in Japan will feel empowered to speak up and hold him to account by not shutting up and making sure children who attend Jump events are protected from his pattern of problematic behavior. It’s only a matter of time.
akamarulover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:28 am Reply with quote
Disgusted with SJ for continuing to support this sick man. Saying everything has been resolved and its water under the bridge is what gives these horrible predators the green light to keep committing unthinkable acts. Still enjoying the series is one thing, and if it's important to people then so be it. But this interview is directly supporting and giving a platform to Watsuki the person, which I cannot stand the thought of. It just gives predators a platform and deescalates the severity what should be an unforgivable crime. Especially since the SJ audience IS LARGELY CHILDREN!
Smeagol_17

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:34 am Reply with quote
akamarulover wrote:
Especially since the SJ audience IS LARGELY CHILDREN!

I think this attitude is, in fact, partly because of it. Children care much less about such things then adults.
Smeagol_17

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:37 am Reply with quote
The article should mention that Eiichiro Oda was Watsuki assistant for Kenshin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4