• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuriko Asami's Angel Beats! -The Last Operation- Manga Ends 1st Part

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:37 am Reply with quote
I still wonder why and how Seven Seas lost the rights to Heaven’s Door. They’ve published much less popular manga while printing all available volumes, so it couldn’t have just been low sales.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:58 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I still wonder why and how Seven Seas lost the rights to Heaven’s Door. They’ve published much less popular manga while printing all available volumes, so it couldn’t have just been low sales.

It's because Angel Beats is one of the most mishandled anime IPs in history. You will be hard-pressed to find a one-off anime so successful as it that utterly failed to launch into a multimedia franchise. The "why" is always a big point of contention

It failed to expand into more anime content despite its admitted production constraints.

And its ambitious visual novel franchise went up in damn smoke after one outing. This was where they allegedly planned to make it big too.

Angel Beats is just a failure despite the original anime being relatively solid.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:23 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

Yep, my volume 1 is still lonely on my shelf.

I really do wonder what has happened. It seems like it is a franchise that has fans in the west, but something must've happened behind the scenes. I mean, no one else seems to have tried to touch it, since SS (seemingly) lost the rights.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:17 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
I really do wonder what has happened. It seems like it is a franchise that has fans in the west, but something must've happened behind the scenes. I mean, no one else seems to have tried to touch it, since SS (seemingly) lost the rights.

At least Heaven's Door has been scanlated in full. And the scanlation for Last Operation is almost on pace with the source. So there's that at least.

Still, I also wonder what happened with the official release...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1