• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sorcerous Stabber Orphen Anime Gets 2nd Season

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I am pleasantly surprised, given the pre-order numbers. The light novels must have gotten a nice boost.
Azumi14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:43 am Reply with quote
I was looking so forward to the Sorcerous Stabber Orphen. I have the original series and to sum up two seasons in around four episodes just did not work. I do not know why they change the character development. Even if this is a recap by the end of freeing Azalie Claiomh and Majic have been on the road together and have a bond. In this anime they still in the beginning of getting to know each other. The blood dragon episodes left out so much and since these were two solid episodes the same as the original, I do not see why they cannot follow the original. I not excepting the same as the original but leave the story alone and not change the outcomes. Also, they left out Hartia part as Black Tiger, he rides a giant beast and carries a scythe. However, due to a bad translation, Orphen and company take to calling him Shrimp Man instead. The new material I like but I little confuse on some of the story line whereas, the original had good story telling. I think they should of just skip the recap and just went with season 3 or recap at least 24 episodes. I never read the light novel source material so I just basing this on the original anime. I was watching the original anime this weekend and it still one of my favorites.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:34 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
I am pleasantly surprised, given the pre-order numbers. The light novels must have gotten a nice boost.
I expected this myself since while Orphen might not be as big here the light novels are pretty popular in Japan.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:03 am Reply with quote
Azumi14 wrote:
I do not see why they cannot follow the original.

Because it would just be the exact same thing again?

From what I can understand, Hagure no Tabi (or Orphen 2020) is following the light novel story, the way the story was intended to go.

Whereas the 90s anime decided to stretch what was supposed to be a one-volume arc into 24 episodes. Not the greatest idea, honestly. I want the story the way the author intended this time and it looks like we're lucky enough to get that now...over two decades later...but better late than never. Confused
Azumi14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:18 am Reply with quote
I got this from Wikipedia
Written by Yoshinobu Akita
Majutsushi Orphen Haguretabi
Original run May 1994 – September 2003
Volumes 20
Majutsushi Orphen Mubouhen
Original run February 1996 – October 2003
Volumes 13
Majutsushi Orphen Mawarimichi
Original run November 1997 – September 1998
Volumes 2
Slayers x Orphen
Published 2005
Majutsushi Orphen Haguretabi Shin
Original run September 2011 – September 2015
Volumes 10
Majutsushi Orphen Haguretabi - Wa ga Mune de Nemure Bōrei
Original run March 2017 – present
Volumes 5
There is more to the story then I know. If I can get my hands on all these Light Novels, I would read the entire series. My opinion on the original anime remains the same. For one the blood dragon episodes had a better conclusion. The bad guy had his reason as a poacher tricking the village into believe he was a savior. Majic had a little romance with the princess and there departing was done well. There adventure to find out how to change Azalie back from Bloody August are all left out. Maybe season 2 will change my mind and if I can get my hands on these LN then I can see how the story is written. spoiler[ Also, I do not remember perfectly but I Childmen does not die anther switching body because after Bloody August is killed because Azalie put Childman into her uterus using the power of the Sword of Baltanders. So, I guess her baby will have childmen soul. ]In 2020 anime is Childmen dead now for good?
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:33 am Reply with quote
The narrative is a hot mess. It’s like a novel where entire paragraphs are randomly dropped. I struggle to understand what the hell is going on episode to episode. It feels like gundam reconguista all over again. Is this how the novels were?
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:46 am Reply with quote
Azumi14 wrote:
I was looking so forward to the Sorcerous Stabber Orphen. I have the original series and to sum up two seasons in around four episodes just did not work. I do not know why they change the character development. ... The blood dragon episodes left out so much and since these were two solid episodes the same as the original, I do not see why they cannot follow the original.

As someone who has read a few of the light novels, it IS following closer to the novels rather than the previous anime. So technically, it is following the original. While I loved the 90's anime, I felt it dragged the Azalie saga/love triangle (square?) way too long. That said, there are definitely quite a few flaws with this new anime:

1) Generally, light novels are that - light. What should have happened is the new anime meeting somewhere between the light novel and the older anime. In fact, I don't remember the details of the novel, but I feel as though this anime is speeding through each novel it covers even more than the original material sped through the story and details.
2) The new anime is jumping around novels and not going in order. Pretty sure we lost a lot of character development.
3) This is a personal gripe of mine, but what I loved most about the old anime was the banter between Cleo and Orphen. Orphen was one of the very few anime that I preferred the dubbing over the original for all the jokes and fantastic comedic timing and energy. The heart in the voice acting and writing just isn't in this one (in both Japanese and English)
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Well I just queued this series up and added it to my list.
I am not familiar with the source, but I am familiar with the ADV release of this series from back in the late 90's early 00's. The series wasn't much to write home about then, but it was interesting enough for me to finish.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:00 pm Reply with quote
NICE!
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:56 pm Reply with quote
It would have been disappointing to not have a sequel after how the first season ended, so I hope that the second season can be a reasonable follow-up to this first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1