• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Post Suspends Sending EMS Packages to U.S.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:06 am Reply with quote
Please also note that, according to the Japan Post (https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0423_03.html)

Any parcels that have been accepted already will still be mailed sequentially. However, EMS packages can take up to 4 months to be shipped.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:42 am Reply with quote
sakurablossom143 wrote:
Please also note that, according to the Japan Post (https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0423_03.html)

Any parcels that have been accepted already will still be mailed sequentially. However, EMS packages can take up to 4 months to be shipped.

Note that surface packages seldom take any where near that long normally. I send anime packages to grandkids all time because EMS too expensive. With most major US ports shut down or with skeleton crews it may take even longer now.

HobbySearch and some other vendors I use still shipping to US via alt. methods.
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:56 am Reply with quote
I have a package shipped via EMS since April 2nd, and hasn't moved from it's originating post office... and Good Smile shipped my nendo via EMS as well... I won't be seeing these packages for a long time TvT
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:54 am Reply with quote
I had two packages from Japan that were sent in March, held up at airport mail centres and then eventually returned to sender.

Japan Post suspended EMS shipments to Australia on 1st April but did not apparently make any announcements about items held up before that date beyond the tracking eventually showing "return to sender".
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:16 am Reply with quote
SAL to the US seemed to be affected prior to April. I have stuff sitting in Japan (both EMS and SAL) and those aren’t going anywhere for a long time.

It’s very disheartening that this couldn’t have been announced at least a week prior to the shutdown of these services. As much as I hate DHL, I would have rather have gone through with the headache of using that service (their pickup spot is nowhere near me) than have stuff sitting in Japan for months.
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:29 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
SAL to the US seemed to be affected prior to April. I have stuff sitting in Japan (both EMS and SAL) and those aren’t going anywhere for a long time.

It’s very disheartening that this couldn’t have been announced at least a week prior to the shutdown of these services. As much as I hate DHL, I would have rather have gone through with the headache of using that service (their pickup spot is nowhere near me) than have stuff sitting in Japan for months.

I'm more so worried if my packages do end up getting lost or my items start to deteriorate in the packages OTL... I ended up using DHL for one proxy and FedEx for another proxy (for different packages)...but it will seem that I won't see my other two EMS packages for a long time TvT
rookie_one
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:27 am Reply with quote
I've had one EMS package sitting at Chubu Int'l since end of March, one SAL package returned to sender, and no idea where several SAL packages without tracking are.

Been using DHL whenever I can, and in some cases, it is cheaper than EMS or FedEx.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I have a package that's been sitting in Tokyo since April 6. It's shipping air mail instead of SAL or EMS. Not sure when that's ever going to ship, I thought it was early enough to not be too effected. AmiAmi has an order of mine in stock, but they haven't said what they intend to do with it since nothing is shipping. Mandarake has only been shipping via DHL for a little while which is annoying because they've gotten in some really amazing deals in, not sure how they're getting them, I assumed their stores were closed and they wouldn't be buying collection.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Definitely opt for a private courier like DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc, if you can. These days the post is amazingly backed up but the private couriers are running just fine. I presume this is because the private companies own fleets of cargo planes while most post like EMS or SAL goes via commercial air traffic instead, and that's mostly shut down because of Corona.

I have several packages tied up all around the world in the postal system since late March but FedEx managed to get me a large and bulky package from the Netherlands in only 4 days. Price was very reasonable too.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Wait is this still ongoing? I've received shipping confirmations for Surface Mail two weeks ago.
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wait is this still ongoing? I've received shipping confirmations for Surface Mail two weeks ago.

Japan Post is shipping to the US via Surface Mail still. However, anyone who has had EMS or Airmail packages from before the suspension is still stuck in limbo at Japan Post. I've one package there since April 2nd, and one from April 23rd...and neither has moved TvT...
omiya

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:07 am Reply with quote
To clarify, one package sent EMS by CD Japan was stuck at the airport mail centre for a while and is back at CD Japan, another sent EMS by fromjapan.co.jp was stuck at a different airport's mail centre, was tracking as returned to sender but not yet returned to the originating post office or fromjapan.co.jp.

I hope that the package isn't lost as it contained an autograph card.
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:24 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
To clarify, one package sent EMS by CD Japan was stuck at the airport mail centre for a while and is back at CD Japan, another sent EMS by fromjapan.co.jp was stuck at a different airport's mail centre, was tracking as returned to sender but not yet returned to the originating post office or fromjapan.co.jp.

I hope that the package isn't lost as it contained an autograph card.

My package that is at the Omori Post Office is from FromJapan... they told me they don't retrieve packages, only if the post office is willing to return the package... so my package is just...stuck...at the post office... and I even asked if they could get the package so I could do fedex instead... so frustrated.. TT
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1