• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Expands Streaming Service to Mexico, Brazil This Fall

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:17 pm Reply with quote
About damn time. It's been very annoying not to be able to watch a lot of new shows legally in Brazil due to Funimation getting the Latin America streaming rights and then doing nothing with them.
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
About damn time. It's been very annoying not to be able to watch a lot of new shows legally in Brazil due to Funimation getting the Latin America streaming rights and then doing nothing with them.

but not everything is great...they gonna use a questionable studio and cast for this
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Weird Guy wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:

but not everything is great...they gonna use a questionable studio and cast for this

The Brazilian one mainly. The one for LatAm is iffy in terms of quality but may not have the same shadiness like Hermes.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Shame that not in all Europe. Can't even spend money on Wakanim 'cause it's in Russian and it has Russian subs instead English subs, which it bothers me. Wakanim = Wakasoviet.
Turro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:00 am Reply with quote
Finally!!!

Hope the service expands to the rest of the continent soon.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:53 am Reply with quote
Good. More dubs are always good, even if I'm not gonna watch them.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:25 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Shame that not in all Europe. Can't even spend money on Wakanim 'cause it's in Russian and it has Russian subs instead English subs, which it bothers me. Wakanim = Wakasoviet.

There's Wakanim Russia and Wakanim Eu, the eu part divided into parts like France and Nordic.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

There's Wakanim Russia and Wakanim Eu, the eu part divided into parts like France and Nordic.

I went to Wakanim website and I don't see Wakanim EU. It still has Russia, Nordic, France and Germany, not EU. Still annoys me to see in my country I had a Wakanim Russia and it has Russian subs instead English ones. Wakanim thinks Central and Eastern Europe are ''parts'' of Russia. Go figure.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:33 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
I went to Wakanim website and I don't see Wakanim EU. It still has Russia, Nordic, France and Germany, not EU.

That's why I said the eu side is divided into parts...
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
I went to Wakanim website and I don't see Wakanim EU. It still has Russia, Nordic, France and Germany, not EU.

I find it weird a bit that some Central and Eastern Europe countries, where Wakanim Russia is available -- are the EU member states (Bulgaria,Cyprus,Latvia,Lithuania,Poland, Romania,Slovakia and Slovenia). Ironically, most youths in those EU countries from Central and Eastern Europe are don't speak and understanding Russian. I'm struggling to understand why on Earth Wakanim doing this?
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:54 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

I find it weird a bit that some Central and Eastern Europe countries, where Wakanim Russia is available -- are the EU member states (Bulgaria,Cyprus,Latvia,Lithuania,Poland, Romania,Slovakia and Slovenia). Ironically, most youths in those EU countries from Central and Eastern Europe are don't speak and understanding Russian. I'm struggling to understand why on Earth Wakanim doing this?

Different countries have different rules, different japanese publishers have different rules. This might not even be a fault of wakanim (very well probably could be).

I've always found it strange for instance with crunchyroll how they will have a tab for a show to be watched in russian here in the US but it's not watchable due to my area while another shows are watchable in russian here in the US.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

Different countries have different rules, different japanese publishers have different rules. This might not even be a fault of wakanim (very well probably could be).

As old saying goes -- rules schmules. I think anime fans/watchers in those countries are tiny minority and I think these countries(including mines) don't even have licenses of many animes at all. No wonder most animes on legal sites like Crunchyroll (Funi is legion locked) are legion locked because I think my country doesn't even have licenses of animes at all. And it may doesn't exist.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

I don't know where you are from but I'm from the Netherlands. Wakanim was earlier this year released over here. I'm not sure in how many countries wakanim is available right now but the Nordic edition of wakanim (Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland) have the English edition. Same English dubs as on FunimationNow. Seasonal simul dubs get released 1 week after FunimationNoW.

Well the people from South America can finally stop complaining xD.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:33 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

I don't know where you are from but I'm from the Netherlands. Wakanim was earlier this year released over here. I'm not sure in how many countries wakanim is available right now but the Nordic edition of wakanim (Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland) have the English edition. Same English dubs as on FunimationNow. Seasonal simul dubs get released 1 week after FunimationNoW.

Well the people from South America can finally stop complaining xD.

Well, some Twitter users still got vitriolic due to the availability of Mexico and Brazil are the only ones to be available in the first year even though the rest can come later. Not to mention that the site still blocked to them even though it won't be available until Fall and even so, there's a recent one made for them. Lastly, there's the dubbing studios involved in the first batch that...don't exactly have the best reputation among dubbing fans. The one for Brazil (Dubrasil) has a bad tendency of hiring graduating students from the workshops as leads just to save costs, replacing the Rio based cast. As for the one for Spanish speaking countries (The Kitchen), at least for My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan it's mainly based in Miami which in contrast to most Latin Spanish dubs done in Mexico F.D, and they tend to be bad in dubbing with neutral accents (Bear in mind that the rest of the supposed first batch would use their Mexican subsidiary in Cuernavaca Think of it like a Dallas and Houston situation but in Mexico).
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Well, some Twitter users still got vitriolic due to the availability of Mexico and Brazil are the only ones to be available in the first year even though the rest can come later. Not to mention that the site still blocked to them even though it won't be available until Fall and even so, there's a recent one made for them. Lastly, there's the dubbing studios involved in the first batch that...don't exactly have the best reputation among dubbing fans. The one for Brazil (Dubrasil) has a bad tendency of hiring graduating students from the workshops as leads just to save costs, replacing the Rio based cast. As for the one for Spanish speaking countries (The Kitchen), at least for My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan it's mainly based in Miami which in contrast to most Latin Spanish dubs done in Mexico F.D, and they tend to be bad in dubbing with neutral accents (Bear in mind that the rest of the supposed first batch would use their Mexican subsidiary in Cuernavaca Think of it like a Dallas and Houston situation but in Mexico).

I doubt Funimation will allow them to make awful dubs. You can debate on the translation being changed but in the recent years I've not seen any dubs that were awful. Only the dub of AICO on netflix reminded me of early 2000 and before crappy dubs. I would give Funimation the benefit of the doubt. I'm generally positive about the quality they produce..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2