• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The IDOLM@STER Million Live! Game Gets TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:34 am Reply with quote
When I've first read the news, I was like: "Is this for real?". Million Live ever getting an anime has been treated like a cruel joke for years among the fandom, resigned to the fact it's never going to happen, just like the Tokyo 7th Sisters' anime adaptation. Now that the latter has been announced months ago, I guess it was inevitable Smile

On one hand: finally, also it's the OG Aikatsu's director who's handling this, so I have confidence - kinda lost my faith in Nishigori after Franxx so I'm glad it's not him. On the other hand, change of studios and it looks like it's going to be full CGI: a negative for some folks, I'll wait and see. I'm more worried about the continuity, whether it's going to be a part of the Animas universe or it's a separate project. Hoping for the former.

EDIT: sorry, it's the OG Aikatsu writer and Aikatsu Stars movie director. Either way, it's a good thing Smile

Last edited by tfwnoymir on Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:49 am Reply with quote
You know. After watching Bang Dream S2-3 I do not think going full 3d is that bad of idea. It makes animating performances much easear. Of course, it was more necessary for music performances, not general idol dances, though, after Cinderella girls having a deficit of them, I think it was a right decision. Shirogumi is a decent 3d studio (just check 3d parts of Etotama).
Shocked92

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:59 am Reply with quote
Incredibly hyped for this announcement, though even as a fan of the franchise, I'll still approach the anime cautiously. The CGI visual style and subject matter of cute idols doing cute things will definitely not inspire much confidence outside of the franchise's existing fanbase. Without ever having watched Aikatsu, or much of anything from the director, I can only hope that this anime turns out well enough.

As a fair warning to the uninitiated, there are a total of 39 characters in Million Live, whom also interact with the original 13 of the main iDOLM@STER group. It will be a mess if this tries to balance too many characters all at once, so I'm curious to see how the anime will conduct itself. It could follow one of the Million Live manga, the iDOLM@STER film's continuity, the game's storyline, invent its own plot, or find some combination to make sense of itself. Regardless of what happens, I'm hoping for the best.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:29 am Reply with quote
Really hyped too, i thought it would have been announced much sooner actually but better late than never, now i just need a Shiny Color adaptation with a POV on Houkago Climax Girls so i can reach the 7th heaven.
Shocked92

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:39 am Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
Really hyped too, i thought it would have been announced much sooner actually but better late than never, now i just need a Shiny Color adaptation with a POV on Houkago Climax Girls so i can reach the 7th heaven.

I'm debating whether a Shiny Color adaptation, Starlit Season's release, SideM season 2, or the heat death of the universe will come first...
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:04 am Reply with quote
I can't imagine The Idolmaster : Starlit Season being animated soon, not only because it's not even out yet but also because it will bring together the idols from all the others Productions beside 315, SideM's one, if they were to animated it before Shiny Colors, anime-only watchers might have trouble sympathizing with the idols from 283 Production.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:12 am Reply with quote
Is this real life? Lol. The CG doesn't look bad at all, honestly. I'm hyped!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:37 am Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
On the other hand, change of studios and it looks like it's going to be full CGI: a negative for some folks, I'll wait and see. I'm more worried about the continuity, whether it's going to be a part of the Animas universe or it's a separate project. Hoping for the former.

I know one particular fan of the franchise is not really happy it's in CG. Heck, they despise 3DCG so much and wants nothing to do with it which seems harsh.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:35 pm Reply with quote
It's about time and at least Million Live got an anime before Shiny Colors as I don't care for Shiny Colors one bit.

darkchibi07 wrote:
tfwnoymir wrote:
On the other hand, change of studios and it looks like it's going to be full CGI: a negative for some folks, I'll wait and see. I'm more worried about the continuity, whether it's going to be a part of the Animas universe or it's a separate project. Hoping for the former.

I know one particular fan of the franchise is not really happy it's in CG. Heck, they despise 3DCG so much and wants nothing to do with it which seems harsh.

Oh dear god,please don't make it full CG.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quote
The performances at least will be entirely CG, and I can't really blame 'em. All the popular shows use entire CG performances, so that seems to be what Japan wants.

I'll pass though. Not my thing to watch a high budget MikuMikuDance routine in perfect synch.... yuck.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Shirogumi is a CG studio. If you think musical anime in full CG cannot be decent, go watch Bang Dream S2 and S3.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Playing instruments (in the which Sound Euphonium does a way, way better job than Bandori) is not the same as watching idols dance.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Typical J-Pop dances are pretty simple so you can animate them in 2D just fine. Though, it does not mean it will not work in full 3D.

Here is the famous example of this studio work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDtbQXMK4gw
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
Typical J-Pop dances are pretty simple so you can animate them in 2D just fine. Though, it does not mean it will not work in full 3D.

Here is the famous example of this studio work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDtbQXMK4gw

I can't wait for Etotama season 2.

One small issue, the dancing is in chibi style, chibis are also much easier to animate in 3D than full character models.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:39 am Reply with quote
As a fan of the franchise, I have nothing against ML, but as they said here, I think SC would be the best choice for adaptation. Not least because of the excellent fly design and the many charismatic characters with the divine work of VA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2