• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Why have you been chosen to review the series if it's not your cup of tea? I don't think the readers who voted for it particularly want to read about why someone who doesn't like it... still doesn't like it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I liked the second eppie more than the first. I chuckled when I saw Ustacki-chan's face light up with her trademark dopey grin through the window of the coffee shop when she saw the object of her teasing. And, yes, even though we all so the "gag" of Usnacki stuck in the bushes 3,000 miles away - a gag we've seen a billion times before - for some reason it still made me laugh.

I had theorized in the Summer Preview thread that I think we're going to find out that Uzaki is actually a loner herself despite her fairly frequent mention of "friends" whom we never actually see. Although, there was the woman with her at lunch but we didn't get enough of their dynamic to know if she is actually a friend.
Vent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:14 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Why have you been chosen to review the series if it's not your cup of tea? I don't think the readers who voted for it particularly want to read about why someone who doesn't like it... still doesn't like it.

Judging by the preview guide there's not really anyone else you could hand the show to that also wouldn't like it soooo...
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Is the anime different from the manga? I remember the review noting that the manga itself wasn't as much about her breasts rather than her being a girl who had them. But the anime seems to be a show with a lot of boob jokes?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I like it. It's a comedy, it's funny and I laugh as these things happen in a natural progression.

Quote:
Take, for instance, the very title of the episode: "The Café Owner Wants a Glimpse!" On the surface, this is based on the fact that there is one scene where the boss of the café that Shinichi works at, who is normally very chill and laid back, gets a little too excited by Uzaki's bouncing bosoms.

Or... OR... oh so humble guy "who went into the second episode to like"... the Café Owner wants a glimpse into the social life of his waiter and his sudden friend/enemy/girlfriend/girlenemy. Or both to look into his life and her shirt, it's almost like it was written to be ambiguous. No, it's actually in reference to the Owner's ability for measuring up customers by eye.... or "bosoms", fine. Whatever.

"It wasn't funny." You didn't find it funny, fair enough... if you actually say it that way but there's a world of difference between saying "Schindler's List wasn't funny" versus "1941 wasn't funny". It's more accurate to say "I didn't find either funny" but only one of them was intended to be a comedy.

Quote:
The very next joke, though, where the two girls spot Shinichi trying to free Uzaki from her leafy prison, and it looks very much like he's the one trying to get unstuck from a particularly tangled bush.
Unless Uzaki doesn't shave down there, I don't get what you're saying. It was supposed to come off to look like he was having sex in the bush...

This is one of those situations that is so abundantly obvious that I don't know I'm being put on or not. "Yes, We know what it's supposed to look like but We decided to call it 'rattling the bush' because We are not amused!".
Vent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Yes I too believe all reviews should read as broad and generic as possible as to account for somebody liking something you didn't, despite the point of a review being to get a specific person's opinion.

I will not rest until every single mention of James not liking a joke is immediately followed by a parenthetical "(but I'm sure someone liked it)" to cover all possible bases against being nitpicked online.
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I said this after the first episode, and it remains the same after the second: this anime's biggest issue overall is that it is too long. The episode lengths should be at least halved. That way the comedy wouldn't be stretched so thin and it may have worked better for those who don't find it funny (I am amused, but the comedy is by no means stellar).
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I will not rest until every single mention of James not liking a joke is immediately followed by a parenthetical "(but I'm sure someone liked it)" to cover all possible bases against being nitpicked online.

Or he can take a note from Kakushigoto and just put "LOL" after every criticism to lighten the impact.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Sisyphusson66 wrote:
Quote:

Or he can take a note from Kakushigoto and just put "LOL" after every criticism to lighten the impact.

LOL
AholePony

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I agree with @sisyphusson66 above, this would work a bit better as half-length episodes.

One roadblock I'm having is that I like manzai comedy, this seems like it's trying to do manzai comedy, but it's really bad at it and the characters don't have the chemistry (by design I guess?) to pull it off effectively, for me at least.

@Animegomaniac 1941 is hilarious! You disappoint me Razz
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:26 pm Reply with quote
The links in the review ('summer preview guide' & 'real thing that happened') just link to the very same review.

Sisyphusson66 wrote:
Quote:

lol
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:46 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga yet but would like to. Personally, I'm enjoying this show. It was the only one that I was looking towards for the summer season and I don't feel let down yet.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:05 am Reply with quote
I like it. It's certainly no Nichijou, but it's a more understated kind of humor. As someone mentioned, it's more about seeing Uzaki's grinning face outside the window and knowing what's predictably coming than any tit gag. So much like the cafe owner, it's down to the charm of watching the two predictably typecast personalities collide in classic straight-man and foil that makes this show. Like that amusing couple you know who separately don't amount to much, but put them together and it's an entertaining time.

So I don't think the comedy is even trying to be what the reviewer thinks. Yes there will be the occasional venture into a slapstick routine and the undressing setup. But it's largely more about watching one irritate the other in more conventional ways that makes it fun.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:14 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Is the anime different from the manga? I remember the review noting that the manga itself wasn't as much about her breasts rather than her being a girl who had them. But the anime seems to be a show with a lot of boob jokes?

The anime has been pretty faithful so far. All these jokes and scenarios come right from the first few chapters so far: the vibrating chair, the stuck in a bush, the cafe owner. Was it the same reviewer? Whoever reviewed the manga might not have as much of a hang up on boob joke as who is reviewing the anime. Although I suppose it's easier to notice jiggling boobs in animation than in still images (the massage chair scenes, for example) Boobs are just one aspect of her character, though.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:02 am Reply with quote
Somehow I found Uzaki kinda insufferable in the first episode and so I didn't enjoy the show that much. Then for some reason the second episode was a whole lot more enjoyable and I was suddenly finding myself enjoying the dynamic between Uzaki and the main character dude. I can't point out exactly what changed, but now I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8