• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: RADWIMPS Band's Yōjirō Noda Attracts Backlash After Pro-Eugenics Tweet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see the "It was just a joke!" excuse when someone gets in trouble is universal.
J0HN_L0CKE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:49 pm Reply with quote
who reads that and doesn't assume it's a joke lol. and even if it wasn't, who actually cares
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Nice to see the "It was just a joke!" excuse when someone gets in trouble is universal.

Nice to see people not being able to tolerate a simple joke is as well.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Valjean Lafitte wrote:
harminia wrote:

Nice to see people not being able to tolerate a simple joke is as well.

I like how "Just a joke" means "Don't criticize me, laugh!". Some people are so scared of being criticized for anything.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:11 pm Reply with quote
this guy is always doing awful things and then backtracking lol

You have the right to say what you want but you're not immune from the consequences

Also while it may SEEM like a joke to normal people, there are a LOT of people that truly believe in this idea. That's why it's not a funny joke.

Also it's CREEPY AF to even list Mana Ashida. She's 16...

At least him being mad about the fighter jet purchase was something fairly logical to be upset about
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:40 pm Reply with quote
The internet really needs to work on finding the middle ground between "don't take anything seriously, who cares, get over it" and "anyone who ever says anything that could be construed as controversial politics must be metaphorically tarred-and-feathered, along with anyone who doesn't endorse this reaction."

I've heard other options exist, but rarely do I see them exercised. Certainly not seeing any in here, yet. Maybe, for example, we could agree that while it was obviously a joke, it was also in bad taste and he shouldn't have said it? Does that work?
micah007

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I looked at his face and thought where have I seen him before and then I remembered the fighter jet comments he made awhile ago. Seems like he should really think about what he says before courting the possibility of mass social media judgement.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:02 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
The internet really needs to work on finding the middle ground between "don't take anything seriously, who cares, get over it" and "anyone who ever says anything that could be construed as controversial politics must be metaphorically tarred-and-feathered, along with anyone who doesn't endorse this reaction."

His tweet got over 26,000 likes which is far more than any of the detracting responses got. I think it's safe to say most people were not bothered by it and it's just a small group of people who took offense to it.
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:36 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

I've heard other options exist, but rarely do I see them exercised. Certainly not seeing any in here, yet. Maybe, for example, we could agree that while it was obviously a joke, it was also in bad taste and he shouldn't have said it? Does that work?

Finding so much common sense in 2020 is a rare thing. I agree with you completely.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:51 am Reply with quote
The fighter jet comments were pretty tame and even understandable, but this is a big yikes. Was it really necessary to "joke" about such a serious topic? If he wants to get more attention (which he really doesn't need after the popularity of the Tenki no Ko songs), this is the wrong way
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:53 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

Even the biggest simp could tell that was a joke. The way story's the framed, you'd think the guy pulled a Nick Cannon or something. I'm amazed this even got traction.

Kougeru wrote:

You have the right to say what you want but you're not immune from the consequences

Also while it may SEEM like a joke to normal people, there are a LOT of people that truly believe in this idea. That's why it's not a funny joke.

Except nothing about this sounds even remotely serious. I can't see any normal person looking at that comment and saying "Holy Crap! This guy believes in Eugenics!". It's just more fake outrage brought to you by social media.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:45 am Reply with quote
It's one thing to put something out there you thought was right, it's another to then don't acknowledge that it's wrong and change your position in the face of a new revelation and just brush it off. And we know people who've done this dance before pushing bad opinions and don't realize the damage their position take.
strawberry_milk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Fastest invocation of Godwin's Law ever! Laughing

Which in this case is kinda appropriate.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

I have a saying: the moral majority is actually a minority, they just shout louder. The problem with the internet is that it is the voice box of extremes on all side. In that situation, you will never find middle ground cause of the believed immunity they feel when they are effectively anonymous.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Also it's CREEPY AF to even list Mana Ashida. She's 16...

I was going to say that he can joke as long as he is better wirth his words. A lot of things shouldn't be shouldn't be taken seriously. However, if he has a history and someone who 16? Yeah, no. He could have easily said all of this without mentioning anyone and add an "lol"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2