• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Goro Miyazaki Says He's Confident in Upcoming Earwig and the Witch CG Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralph Snackshi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Lol, sounds like a step in the right direction already.

In all seriousness, I love Ghibli for all that it was and is and I want it to live on but I also want the work to evolve past the influence of its founders and not just become museum fodder. As much as I dislike his earlier 2 films, I like to think Goro has the potential to at least get the ball rolling. I haven't seen 'Ronja' but the reception to it leads me to assume he does well when he doesn't have his father and the old guard bearing down on him. I'm hopeful that this will confirm it. I'm legitimately looking forward to this.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I have hope that this film will succeed.
catbot158

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, small wonder the "old guys" from Ghibli weren't a part of this much. Hayao Miyazaki has not been shy about his...disinterest in his son's abilities. You get a sense that Goro has been under-appreciated at Ghibli by the senior staff, alongside how his past movies turned out critically. Good on Goro to do what he wants and get his own people to help out. Hope the movie turns out well!
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:50 pm Reply with quote
This is the first time in a long time I've actually looked forward to a Ghibli movie (the last time was Howl's Moving Castle, which was also a DWJ book..)
I'm glad to hear he got to do his own things, so hopefully it'll bring new life to it rather than it feeling like it was made with heavy Hayao input.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
didn't consult with the old guys at all."

This worries me because his own works haven't really been very good
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:38 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
This is the first time in a long time I've actually looked forward to a Ghibli movie (the last time was Howl's Moving Castle, which was also a DWJ book..)
I'm glad to hear he got to do his own things, so hopefully it'll bring new life to it rather than it feeling like it was made with heavy Hayao input.
I love Ghibli's 2D animation but some of their last couple of 2D films were rather average though not bad necessarily. Though I did love The Tale of Princess Kaguya. I'm so far impressed by the character design work for Goro's new movie.
BossZaraki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:33 am Reply with quote
That being said I'm not a fan of wall-e cgi animation. Feels generic to me. I do think there's some good movies in that style so i have faith ghibli will make something good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1