• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lionsgate to Release Ghost in the Shell Anime Film on UHD 4K Blu-ray Disc on September 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arxana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:48 am Reply with quote
So will this be the first actual good transfer for this movie on Blu-ray? I’ve heard the previous Blu-ray releases botched the video completely.
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:55 am Reply with quote
Arxana wrote:
So will this be the first actual good transfer for this movie on Blu-ray? I’ve heard the previous Blu-ray releases botched the video completely.

I own the UK blu-ray version from MangaEntertainment, and I gotta say it's spectacular.
If the American versions was "botched" I'm glad they now have a chance for 4K.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Arxana wrote:
No, not video. Anchor Bay's releases of the movie had missing sound effects in the dub and other issues with the audio. The subs were also different from the original release and inferior with at least one blatant mistake. The only good releases were the Japanese ones.

Anchor Bay's release of the shows GITS:SAC had even worse and more obvious errors.

Keep in mind that Lionsgate owned Anchor Bay and has now fully absorbed it rendering the label defunct. It is not known if they retained the same people who made the botched releases, so I'm personally going to wait until its released and I'm not pre-ordering.

Also the 4K is getting a steelbook version which is up for pre-order on BestBuy.
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Is this going to be a new transfer based off the original 1995 theatrical version, or is it sourced from the 2008 "2.0" re-release that replaced a bunch of scenes with stiff, poorly animated 3DCG? I will buy a 4k version of the original film in a heartbeat but want nothing to do with the 2.0 version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nyren

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Some thoughts...

I watched the trailer, first on a 1080 monitor and then a small (43") 4K set thru a Roku using Youtube. The Roku is supposed to do 4K. It looks nice, but I can't myself see a difference, for all that proves. Maybe my 43" is too small. The colors are a bit nicer, maybe?

I want so bad to wait for a review. I also want a review of either the 4K Akira or the 4K Cobra movies, just to hear how much difference can be seen. (Someone at ANN, pretty please? ) But my inner GitS fanboy says noooo, order it now. Twisted Evil

My wallet is already crying at the thought of a Dolby Vision 4K player and a new HDMI cable, just for one or two movies. RightStuf says we need both on their pre-order page for this show.

And the only 4K set I have is a 43 inch cheap one; ( Sigh, ) it might be Just Too Small. Rolling Eyes Though it is Dolby Vision.

RightStuf says it will be a two blu-ray package, one 4K and one 1080. Hmmm... I could always sell that 1080 blu ray, my old blu ray, and my original DVD. But I'd keep my special edition DVD. Hmmm... Wink Yeah, I doubt it.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:31 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
No, not video. Anchor Bay's releases of the movie had missing sound effects in the dub and other issues with the audio. The subs were also different from the original release and inferior with at least one blatant mistake.

There's also the 2.0 release which included the original film but upscaled.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Nice, there's quite a few early BD releases that need new transfers.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I just hope this release will be better than Anchor Bay's past releases which I've passed on so far. I still have my jankey old ye Manga DVD which still works fine for me. I wish we could get a better BD release of SAC and 2nd Gig.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:56 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
No, not video. Anchor Bay's releases of the movie had missing sound effects in the dub and other issues with the audio. The subs were also different from the original release and inferior with at least one blatant mistake.

There's also the 2.0 release which included the original film but upscaled.

Yes, I have that release as well, but that mess of an upscale was in the extras and was not the main feature which was the 2.0 with the awkwardly inserted CG. Manga was in charge of that release and Anchor Bay was only acting as the distributor. I believe the press release is also incorrect as the 1998 DVD release was by Manga (they weren't bought out by Anchor Bay then), not Anchor Bay and was distributed by Polygram.

The audio and subtitling issues I talked about started with the Anchor Bay 2014 release, which they then carried over to the steelbook releases 2016 and 2017 (Mondo art).

To get an idea of how bad Anchor Bay was not only were there errors on the US BD movie release and bad ones on the TV show, they also kept giving out poor masters to other companies as seen here. You may have to use google translate, but the gist is that they kept sending masters with burned in English subs, missing episodes and corrupted files. Hopefully, Lionsgate will have people that have their act together with this 4K release, and really is it too much to ask for them to just clone the Japanese 4K release?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1