• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Seven Deadly Sins: Imperial Wrath of The Gods

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piexouar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Saying you're being very generous regarding this season's animation would be an understatement.
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:32 pm Reply with quote
what I saw happened with spoiler[Escanor vs Meliodas] put me off of watching this. I'll just stick with the manga, thank you very much.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:26 pm Reply with quote
So question for everyone who might know?
how much did the animation for this season get corrected in between the tv/amazon broadcast and this netflix/bluray release.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:56 am Reply with quote
Piexouar wrote:
Saying you're being very generous regarding this season's animation would be an understatement.

Haha is it that bad or is this just a casual watcher/shounen fan perspective? Not to be judgemental of course. To give context, I thought OPM S2 looked mostly fine and that opinions of how good the first seasons animation is are greatly exaggerated outside the first and last episode.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:44 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
how much did the animation for this season get corrected in between the tv/amazon broadcast and this netflix/bluray release.

I heard there is no difference, which is really cheap. Honestly I'm ok with the animation most of the time but it has some rough parts that could've been fixed after broadcast. The issue is the previous season's weren't like that so can't help but compare and be disappointed.
zatheus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:05 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
what I saw happened with spoiler[Escanor vs Meliodas] put me off of watching this. I'll just stick with the manga, thank you very much.

I am confused, did something different happen in the manga, because from what I remember it has been very faithful. Or is it just seeing it animated made it more fleshed out and turned you off?
Piexouar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:10 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Animation that's fundamentally broken can't be easily fixed, you would have to redo it from scratch. They mostly corrected some of the drawings.

Stelman257 wrote:
Piexouar wrote:

Haha is it that bad or is this just a casual watcher/shounen fan perspective? Not to be judgemental of course. To give context, I thought OPM S2 looked mostly fine and that opinions of how good the first seasons animation is are greatly exaggerated outside the first and last episode.

Let me put it this way, there are times the animation was worse than in the infamous episode 5 of Dragon Ball Super. And I'm not just talking about some wonky art, it's a slideshow.

Speaking of OPM S1, it would be super unfair to say it had nothing to offer outside the first and last episode. Some of the most impressive cuts were inbetween. There were lots of scenes by special animators as you can see it here yourself: https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=one-punch_man+
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:09 am Reply with quote
Oh true true, I totally forgot about the Genos sparring, that did look pretty sick yeah. Everything else outside those first and last episodes got wayyyy overhyped though.
Comparing it to DBSuper huh, another shounen and a Toei one at that aha.
But yeah if the animation reaches slideshow levels then that's pretty unfortunate. Still the review didn't exactly give the impression that was the case?

Does it ever get Wizard Barristers level?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhmBnaEcbfA
Piexouar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:25 am Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
Oh true true, I totally forgot about the Genos sparring, that did look pretty sick yeah. Everything else outside those first and last episodes got wayyyy overhyped though.
Comparing it to DBSuper huh, another shounen and a Toei one at that aha.
But yeah if the animation reaches slideshow levels then that's pretty unfortunate. Still the review didn't exactly give the impression that was the case?

The Toei jab was a bit unnecessariy, SDS wishes to have been animated by current Toei. (they've had a major overhaul) OP looks better than many popular seasonal shows now. And the second season of World Trigger is shaping up to be really great according to some reliable sources. Every party involved in DBS' production screwed up, some more than others.You could write a whole book about it.
ANN reviews have always been a bit leniant when it comes to rating the animation of a show, so I'm not that surprised. *looks at Overlord S3*
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:49 am Reply with quote
You can defend Toei that's fair, and I can only assume Covid-19 has absolutely wrecked animation efforts for so many studios. But man, I've seen their latest stuff on the Digimon reboot and boy has that been a rough effort. Outside of the first 3 episodes which clearly had the most effort put in, everything has been really typical awful Toei. Some parts make DBSuper look good honestly.
I doubt SDS wishes it was animated like that if you guys are being this harsh on it.
But hey, glad to hear One Piece still looks good I guess haha.
Piexouar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:03 am Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
You can defend Toei that's fair, and I can only assume Covid-19 has absolutely wrecked animation efforts for so many studios. But man, I've seen their latest stuff on the Digimon reboot and boy has that been a rough effort. Outside of the first 3 episodes which clearly had the most effort put in, everything has been really typical awful Toei. Some parts make DBSuper look good honestly.
I doubt SDS wishes it was animated like that if you guys are being this harsh on it.

I had a feeling you would mention the Digimon reboot. haha
Not many people know this but the show is mostly animated by Studio Gallop, not Toei. The first 3 episodes were indeed them, but afterwards not much. All of their notable staff has their hands full with their priority shows. (Dragon Quest, OP, WT, Doremi movie)
Also, actually Covid-19 had the opposite effect on most shows. The current OP arc already had a good schedule (which allowed many exceptional animators to participate), but due to the break the gap increased even more. Current episode is 938 and they are already working on 953 and beyond. Same thing applies to other non Toei shows, unless they mismanaged the project.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:16 am Reply with quote
Piexouar wrote:
Not many people know this but the show is mostly animated by Studio Gallop, not Toei. The first 3 episodes were indeed them, but afterwards not much. All of their notable staff has their hands full with their priority shows. (Dragon Quest, OP, WT, Doremi movie)

Haha then you know how bad it is then. And wow that's unfortunate to hear. Fair enough if it's not Toei though, I'll take the L on that, thanks for educating me haha.
So compared to the later episodes of the Digimon Reboot, how's SDS fair?
Piexouar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
Piexouar wrote:

Haha then you know how bad it is then. And wow that's unfortunate to hear. Fair enough if it's not Toei though, I'll take the L on that, thanks for educating me haha.
So compared to the later episodes of the Digimon Reboot, how's SDS fair?

Many would argue it's still far worse. Despite how limited the later episodes of Digimon are, there's still a highlight once in a while: https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/129058
SDS doesn't even have those. Action has no impact and some episodes are literally melting.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Piexouar wrote:
Stelman257 wrote:

Also, actually Covid-19 had the opposite effect on most shows. The current OP arc already had a good schedule (which allowed many exceptional animators to participate), but due to the break the gap increased even more. Current episode is 938 and they are already working on 953 and beyond. Same thing applies to other non Toei shows, unless they mismanaged the project.

Gallop worked on only 4 episodes imo toei did most of the production so far but there's a chance gallop will handle more episodes since as you said they're fully busy with the other projects.
Piexouar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:39 pm Reply with quote
#897978 wrote:
Gallop worked on only 4 episodes imo toei did most of the production so far but there's a chance gallop will handle more episodes since as you said they're fully busy with the other projects.

Make it 5, tonight's episode is Gallop again. Other few episodes aren't really worth mentioning because they were more or less solos (as in animated by 1 or 2 animators), hence why I said Toei isn't much involved. Technically Toei did more if we count the first 3 episodes, but that will undoubtedly change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2