• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline: Lee Isaac Chung to Direct Hollywood Remake of Makoto Shinkai's your name.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catbot158

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:23 pm Reply with quote
This is a really interesting choice because on one hand, this is, by all standards, an indie filmmaker getting their first mainstream movie, and it's an Asian director at that. Based on what I've read about his movies, he has a distinct style, and a focus on realistic drama that I think will pair well with this concept. On the other hand, I'm not sure if he can make the jump to the "sci-fi drama based on a anime movie" genre. And who knows how much corporate oversight this movie has to begin with. We'll have to see, I guess...

I do wonder how this will translate into the film, and what changes he'll make to the script. Hopefully good changes?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
This guy has Basically no resume so it's impossible to judge him but everything else is still worrying me.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why the script is getting rewritten.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I thought Japanese creators stopped letting Hollywood have creative control over their products after the Dragon Ball fiasco? (not to mention the Death Note Netflix drama) Then again, Shinkai might not be the type to care.
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:22 pm Reply with quote
no thanks, anime looks better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
Yea ill stick to anime
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
I thought Japanese creators stopped letting Hollywood have creative control over their products after the Dragon Ball fiasco?

That is pretty silly because all that matters in the end is whether you get paid for giving that control. What Shinkai makes isn’t cheap on funds after all.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what the disaster the two MCs are trying to prevent will be. It's gonna be hard to top moments like the watercolor sequence when spoiler[the comet hitting the Earth symbolized Mitsuha's conception.]
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:12 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
I wonder why the script is getting rewritten.

Rewrites when new chief staff is pretty standard. Basically any Hollywood film goes through a number of rewrites based on what the director, producer(s), or principal cast want, and even further changes often happen when actual production begins.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:

How do you know the live-action version will look bad, despite the fact that neither a promo image or a trailer has been released yet?
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:02 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Banjo wrote:

How do you know the live-action version will look bad, despite the fact that neither a promo image or a trailer has been released yet?

American anime adaptations do not have a good track record so pessimism is certainly warranted. I for one am not even remotely interesting because the last thing that went through my mind when I saw Your Name was that it needed Hollywood treatment.

Ultimately these movies and various other live-action adaptations aren't for anime fans. Quite the opposite actually. They exist to make money from people who don't watch anime.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:30 am Reply with quote
Putting aside how they plan to adapt this into a Western setting, I don’t see the point of this when a big appeal of Makoto Shinkai films is his gorgeous animation. I wonder if Radwimps will return for the soundtrack? At least they have an Asian director and Abrams only seems to be playing producer role.
-SP-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:37 am Reply with quote
I wonder who the target audience for this is? It's definitely not Anime fans, and if they are making it for the mainstream audience than I think this movie failed before it even started.
Banjo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:11 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Banjo wrote:

I was comparing real people with anime characters.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:46 pm Reply with quote
This is a good choice. Lee Isaac Chung's films are often about human relationships which is one of the most important elements of Your Name. Plus his movies like Munyurangabo and Minari are very well received. I want to believe this is going to be a good film.

There are two reasons why anime, manga, and light novels have lower quality adaptions. One, they don't have nearly the same frequency of adaptions compared to their media relatives like literature, genre fiction, and comic books. Two, A/M/LN's culture hasn't appealed to the most talented in the TV and Film Industry. There will come a day when an anime (broadly) adaption raises the standard and awareness of a medium like Christopher Nolan did to comic books with his Dark Knight series. Something of the sort is already happening with successful (financially/critically) adaptions like Alita: Battle Angel, Old Boy, Kingdom, and Live, Die, Repeat. Who knows if Your Name, Sword Art Online, Cowboy Bebop, Steins;Gate and the like will make the cut. It doesn't hurt to believe they can. There was probably a time where anime adaptions were looked down upon by manga fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2